20mph urban limit to be discussed later!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The future lies in average speed cameras. On a route in my native Fylde there was a catalogue of fatal collisions. It was a single carriage way country road that actually ran past my parents pub. Even

Calm down Dilli...your Nissan Micra has 15 bhp, not 150.

Where/what is the data to suggest that further restrictions on the motorist are necessary? Or are we, as usual, just amassing regulation and restrictions on the public for the sake of it?

I lived for a few years in Germany. In some of the villages around the city, at the outskirts of the village was a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights. The lights were normally green, but there was also a radar gun that switched the lights to red if a car was approaching too fast. I did not care to find out what the penalty was for going through a red light on a pedestrian crossing.

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I was under the impression we didn't have the legislation to prosecute based on speed cameras? Perhaps an old wives tale.

There’s a raft of amends due to the RTA. Including the 2ug deemed unfit level for Cannabis. Easy to slip in the necessary speed camera and APNR legislation.

I had my 2.8JTD fiat motor home remapped. It weighed 4.5 tonnes and was slow on hills. Had to use the crawler lane. It improved performance no end.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There’s a raft of amends due to the RTA. Including the 2ug deemed unfit level for Cannabis. Easy to slip in the necessary speed camera and APNR legislation.

I had my 2.8JTD fiat motor home remapped. It weighed 4.5 tonnes and was slow on hills. Had to use the crawler lane. It improved performance no end.

Hope you informed your insurer about the performance mod. ? Only joking of course. 

Speed cameras are long overdue. The RPU is very small and can't be everywhere, and are busy enough dealing with the 1000 RTC's per year.  I know many years ago one was trialled and proved unpopular to say the least, but that was a long time ago.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, flaps said:

Speed cameras are long overdue. The RPU is very small and can't be everywhere, and are busy enough dealing with the 1000 RTC's per year.  I know many years ago one was trialled and proved unpopular to say the least, but that was a long time ago.

I'm not convinced they'll make much difference here. 50 yards either side of the speed camera might get marginally safer, I suppose. If you don't include the people stamping on the brakes.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm not convinced they'll make much difference here. 50 yards either side of the speed camera might get marginally safer, I suppose. If you don't include the people stamping on the brakes.

Good traffic management is not just about speeds though is it. Cameras can be placed to look over long stretches of roads, imaginative use of crossings and white lines - redesign where needed too promote safety. Bring in large fines for buses and post office vans that seem to dart all over nowadys not caring what speeds they are doing or wherever they park (and seem to be ignored by the police when they do).

1 minute ago, Apple said:

Good traffic management is not just about speeds though is it. Cameras can be placed to look over long stretches of roads, imaginative use of crossings and white lines - redesign where needed too promote safety. Bring in large fines for buses and post office vans that seem to dart all over nowadys not caring what speeds they are doing or wherever they park (and seem to be ignored by the police when they do).

Where is it needed? Genuine question. I don't think that outside of TT week our accident rate is particularly bad. I don't think we should introduce a national speed limit, for example, because I don't think the data supports it.

50 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Why are the DOI pretending to be doing ANPR checks around the island if it's  not yet law?

No objections to speed cameras in places where it genuinely is a good idea to slow people down e.g. outside schools or any other place where there is a genuine issue with speeding drivers.

Speed cameras as revenue generators in places where they know they'll catch people out can fuck right off though.

As can speed cameras for the benefit of the wealthiest complainers.  e.g. don't stick the first one in St Marks.

Seriously you want to watch traffic speeding past our house , everyday, at "lets all rush to get home. for tea time". Signage is poor, one pavement non existent and hills and bends that seem to invite speeding as some sort of testosterone test for inconsiderate and juvenile drivers. And for walking to dog or children up the road and watching the big lorries bearing down on you is frightening. Didn't Harmer say everyone should feel safe on our roads? I don't.

Edited by Apple
23 minutes ago, flaps said:

The column and the box are still there though.

Relatives of mine lives in PSM - no speed limits around that school. Apparently people drive out of that village at rocket speeds some times. As for driving further in the village the dubious traffic parking arrangements acts as a speed limiter, sometimes!

19 minutes ago, finlo said:

Why are the DOI pretending to be doing ANPR checks around the island if it's  not yet law?

Depends what they’re using them for. They aren’t illegal, but results might not be admissible. But they can be used to assist identify,