TT 2020 cost £960,000.00.

54 minutes ago, Apple said:

Until that changes in terms of its location and the resultant negative impacts on the island (which we all know about) then I agree - be done with it.

That was a post by Joebean that you quoted, but I did agree with him.

I too find it hard to quote a poster who is quoting another, on the Ipad, but easy to do on the PC

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The siting of the prison at Jurby made no sense whatsoever. None. But for one reason. It was the only community on the Island that wouldn’t go apeshit at the prospect and throw a spanner in the planni

I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 was the last one ever, and we just don't know it yet. There are a lot of things that will change consequent on this virus experience that we don't realise yet. Among th

Absolutely agree  the Gov and it's clueless employees did exactly that with "Jurby Day" , a well run and successful event ran by a" bunch of OAP bike enthusiasts" ( a term used by IOM 'management' ),

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 7:45 PM, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Paul Phillips (also has a commercial interest in the Cyclefest Gran Fondo thing) - couldn't resist posting his daily 70km strava cycle rides during lockdown - absolute prime example of (insert personal favourite Civil Service insult Verb)

Who or what is behind this Grand Fondo thing? I notice signs around the island with the unreadable details of road closures have sprung up and also a lot of DOI Cones and Road Closed signs ready to close roads. Are DOI closing the roads for this outfit and if so how much are they being paid for it? If they are not being paid, why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dunno but it's a real imposition without enough clear information. Certainly making it awkward for vehicles especially where they periodically block Station Rd, Ballaugh from the shop almost back to the church. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't block the footpaths too and they will not move themselves or their bikes when asked so that we can walk on the FOOT path.

Why do these folk think they have a priority and right to behave in such an arrogant and selfish manner? Please have some thought and leave a space every few parked cars so that traffic can get past your parked vehicles and remember that the paths are for foot traffic not used as impromptu bicycle repair platforms or tactical group conversation areas.

I'm sorry this is a rant but it really is a major nuisance and very dangerous quite a few times a year

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Who or what is behind this Grand Fondo thing? I notice signs around the island with the unreadable details of road closures have sprung up and also a lot of DOI Cones and Road Closed signs ready to close roads. Are DOI closing the roads for this outfit and if so how much are they being paid for it? If they are not being paid, why not?

It’s a private enterprise using friends and previously the tourist angle - now it’s just localised to avoid losing money and pull in favours for promotion and road closures 

18 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It’s a private enterprise using friends and previously the tourist angle - now it’s just localised to avoid losing money and pull in favours for promotion and road closures 

PP has got his oar in it now I think.

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

PP has got his oar in it now I think.

Correct - hence road closures - it's essentially a  TT sponsors closed shop money maker - cyclists with a few quid - Conister Bank chuck ££££ at it with another vested / personal interest 

6 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I too find it hard to quote a poster who is quoting another, on the Ipad, but easy to do on the PC

Sorry ...again. :(

Edited by Apple
dumbass again.
46 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

PP is the driving force, with his good buddy from Conister Bank throwing a few quid in.  Currently boasting of 800+ entries, some are kids so free but main entry is £50 so must easily be generating £25,000 in revenue plus sponsorship etc.  Unsure if the road closures are at market or mates rates?  Love local sporting events run by various clubs, add a lot to local society,  this is commercial.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Why do these folk think they have a priority and right to behave in such an arrogant and selfish manner?

They have been led to believe that they have such a divine right by the Govt and LAs promoting carless to work journeies and cycling as a health benefit?

It has led to an unprecedented uptake in the mode, for travel or leisure, that the road manners have not kept up with change from cars to bikes?

Even on the upgraded rail tracks, pedestrians are expected to stand aside, in the ditches???, for the speeding cyclists!

It would appear that the latest to the mode are not, as yet, proficient in their skills to be aware of other track/road users who are equally entitled to the use of these spaces?

Most mountain bikers do not seem to be as skilled as a good Trials Rider?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

PP is the driving force, with his good buddy from Conister Bank throwing a few quid in.  Currently boasting of 800+ entries, some are kids so free but main entry is £50 so must easily be generating £25,000 in revenue plus sponsorship etc.  Unsure if the road closures are at market or mates rates?  Love local sporting events run by various clubs, add a lot to local society,  this is commercial.

Nobody pays for road closures, but there will be a cost for the logistics of barriers etc.

This is a good event. It’s once a year, and is something a bit different. Whether generating money locally or in normal times with a bit of tourist influx at,east someone is doing something. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
14 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

This is a good event. It’s once a year, and is something a bit different. Whether generating money locally or in normal times with a bit of tourist influx at,east someone is doing something. 

This is the simple answer to the people who always line up to knock down anything nice being done on our island. People like it, it's a nice thing to have here and offers something you'd otherwise have to travel at great time and expense to experience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
40 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Who are these,'people' who like it? Do you speak for the majority on the island? You certainly don't speak for me!

It's going to be a pain in the arse on a bank holiday weekend

45 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Who are these,'people' who like it? Do you speak for the majority on the island? You certainly don't speak for me!

I don't like it, but I'm willing to put up with it because people put up with my interests. 

I have a feeling that we may be staring at a bit more inconvenience in future, as it seems that we may be trying to encourage more road based sports here to benefit the tourism economy? I think we really need a proper venue set aside which could be multi purpose if we are going down this route?

• Like 1