Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dirty Buggane

Organized Crime Targeting Island

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It is a huge and frightening problem and with borders shut you would think it would have cooled down but these scroats will always find a way and no doubt there will have been a price rise because of the scarcity.

How can they find a way? Allegedly you need permission to come here and government monitors it all so how does the supply chain keep working in these situations? If it’s happening it must be happening despite the hundreds of paperwork items stacking up on some lackey’s desk and the alleged tracking of everyone who moves on and off the IOM. I doubt drug mules are self isolating every trip either so if the drugs problem is such an issue no doubt the infection risk is too. Plus the PO is so busy asking for more money and trying to steal other people’s jobs off them that I wonder what resources they have for checking postal items? If it’s still happening to such a large degree in this climate then a bunch of people basically aren’t doing their job properly so the Chief Constable might well focus on doing his job. Which I believe is stopping crime occurring. Not trying to bring in permanent border controls through the back door by spreading fear and trying to perpetuate the “emergency powers” culture that had them all so pumped during covid! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How can they find a way? Allegedly you need permission to come here and government monitors it all so how does the supply chain keep working in these situations? If it’s happening it must be happening despite the hundreds of paperwork items stacking up on some lackey’s desk and the alleged tracking of everyone who moves on and off the IOM. I doubt drug mules are self isolating every trip either so if the drugs problem is such an issue no doubt the infection risk is too. Plus the PO is so busy asking for more money and trying to steal other people’s jobs off them that I wonder what resources they have for checking postal items? If it’s still happening to such a large degree in this climate then a bunch of people basically aren’t doing their job properly so the Chief Constable might well focus on going his job. Which I believe is stopping crime occurring. 

IoM Post, Hermes, DHL, Graylaw? I'm sure freight deliveries must slip some in? Unless there's intelligence to point them in the right direction it would be a big task for a few coppers to track it all down on arrival. Some of these mingy drug mules are pretty obviously sent as a decoy to distract the police from the motherload, probably the supplier having tipped off the cops beforehand?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't happening to a large degree. Go and try and buy some drugs. Very difficult. No one will sell you an ounce of weed, they'll try and sell you a gram for 25/30 quid. Its shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How can they find a way? Allegedly you need permission to come here and government monitors it all so how does the supply chain keep working in these situations? If it’s happening it must be happening despite the hundreds of paperwork items stacking up on some lackey’s desk and the alleged tracking of everyone who moves on and off the IOM. I doubt drug mules are self isolating every trip either so if the drugs problem is such an issue no doubt the infection risk is too. Plus the PO is so busy asking for more money and trying to steal other people’s jobs off them that I wonder what resources they have for checking postal items? If it’s still happening to such a large degree in this climate then a bunch of people basically aren’t doing their job properly so the Chief Constable might well focus on doing his job. Which I believe is stopping crime occurring. Not trying to bring in permanent border controls through the back door by spreading fear and trying to perpetuate the “emergency powers” culture that had them all so pumped during covid! 

fishing boats,  light aircraft,  with the internet i think even i could build an autonomous  GPS piloted watercraft of some sort .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WTF said:

fishing boats,  light aircraft,  with the internet i think even i could build an autonomous  GPS piloted watercraft of some sort .

Yes but the point is the CC is clearly angling for us to extend border controls on a full time basis by using those excuses when really they will have little impact on importation as you say. He’s just making up stuff to try to justify harder border controls. If it’s that bad and we’ve been locked down for the last few months permanently restricting people’s movement by increasing checks is still going to be similarly ineffective. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There’s nothing strategically new here. Not sure why this has even cropped up?

The article in the Examiner makes clear that this is based on the answer to a Written Question from Ann Corlett for last week's Tynwald (so already a week old).  Of course any sort of question from Corlett is such a rare event that you wonder if it was a 'plant' and the way it has become a front page, even though there is little in it that anyone who hadn't been asleep for the last decade would be unaware of, suggests a private briefing to pick this out from 

It also starts very portentously:

Quote

This answer is based on information provided by the Chief Constable, which was compiled using data and sensitive intelligence obtained locally and from law enforcement agencies based in the United Kingdom.

(Their italics).  And then goes on with no new information except the current number of recent postal seizures (150) to announce a forthcoming apocalypse based on absolutely nothing new. Why the Island should be more of a target after than it was before lockdown is a mystery.  Have the Merseyside drug dealers only just worker out where those boats from the Pierhead go after 100 years?  There's probably some special pleading going on, but it's so vague who knows what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There’s nothing strategically new here. Not sure why this has even cropped up?

To make Gary Roberts appear to be aware and on top of the situation, I suppose. Nothing to do with actual policing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WTF said:

fishing boats,  light aircraft,  with the internet i think even i could build an autonomous  GPS piloted watercraft of some sort .

Many light aircraft rallies in the 70s included “flour bombing” competitions where a bag of flour was dropped from the air in an attempt to get nearest to a ground target. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could hide half a ton of the stuff on one of the ferries/ cargo boats/planes/fishing boats coming into the Island daily. There must be a hundred ways to smuggle it off without going through police checks. Without massive police checks (Unaffordable) there's no way they can stop it. All they're doing is picking up a few small fry. We never hear of them intercepting any of the organised gangs and major smuggling operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You could hide half a ton of the stuff on one of the ferries/ cargo boats/planes/fishing boats coming into the Island daily. There must be a hundred ways to smuggle it off without going through police checks. Without massive police checks (Unaffordable) there's no way they can stop it. All they're doing is picking up a few small fry. We never hear of them intercepting any of the organised gangs and major smuggling operations.

Nor will you. They spend far too much time building up their arrest figures with cannabis smokers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...