Jump to content

Big new boat in the bay!


A new boat n the morning   

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

On the news at 5 O’clock, Mr Woodward repeated that he told the Gov during the take over, that they would be looking at around £75,000,000 to replace BOTH the boats and said looking at what was the likely cost of the first , they were about on track to be in that area.

Well, the shipping press is quoting €77 million for one. So that leaves £5 million for a rowing boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But where’s all the polished mahogany and brass...shouted Uhtred from the 19th century.

Something will go wrong with the order, like it'll be too big to fit in the sea and they'll have to redesign it. 

I think it was widely said at the time that new boats would be £70 million each. I certainly posted that on here. (or if you’re CalMac they’re £110 million each, smaller than the Ben/new boat, an

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Well, the shipping press is quoting €77 million for one. So that leaves £5 million for a rowing boat.

Where are they getting their figures from though. The Clyde ,Liverpool or Ramsey. That is the cost to build in Britain no doubt.

You must remember the days when the SPCo had 3 sets of dockers in Liverpool and as any shipping company or builder failed, those staff had to be taken on by any firm surviving. 
That is why ships are being built in Korea 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Where are they getting their figures from though. The Clyde ,Liverpool or Ramsey. That is the cost to build in Britain no doubt.

You must remember the days when the SPCo had 3 sets of dockers in Liverpool and as any shipping company or builder failed, those staff had to be taken on by any firm surviving. 
That is why ships are being built in Korea 

From what has been said Dilli, the reason it is being built in Korea is that there are no build slots available for several years elsewhere. Amazing really, surely Britain could have salvaged some of its shipbuilding industry if the climate were like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

From what has been said Dilli, the reason it is being built in Korea is that there are no build slots available for several years elsewhere. Amazing really, surely Britain could have salvaged some of its shipbuilding industry if the climate were like that?

Sadly Labour Governments ensured that there was always 2 or 3 men employed for every post. Like car, bike, and heavy machinery production, Britain was never going to be competitive . Never will be as we can’t ever play catch up.We handed most industries to  the Far East many moons ago. They call the tune now. So much fir the British Empire. ( it was sold out to commie union leaders)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Where are they getting their figures from though. The Clyde ,Liverpool or Ramsey. That is the cost to build in Britain no doubt.

You must remember the days when the SPCo had 3 sets of dockers in Liverpool and as any shipping company or builder failed, those staff had to be taken on by any firm surviving. 
That is why ships are being built in Korea 

That’s the price the Korean yard has told the press that the contract is worth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sadly Labour Governments ensured that there was always 2 or 3 men employed for every post. Like car, bike, and heavy machinery production, Britain was never going to be competitive . Never will be as we can’t ever play catch up.We handed most industries to  the Far East many moons ago. They call the tune now. So much fir the British Empire. ( it was sold out to commie union leaders)

Don't think they handed them dilli lad, nobody can compete with sweat shops, no contracts and pretty much no protection at all

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Don't think they handed them dilli lad, nobody can compete with sweat shops, no contracts and pretty much no protection at all

Korea is a modern industrial economy though, and the largest shipbuilder in the world. No sweatshops there, just that their currency was advantageous and their workers not unionised to the same degree, allowing them to build a great economy. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

From what has been said Dilli, the reason it is being built in Korea is that there are no build slots available for several years elsewhere. Amazing really, surely Britain could have salvaged some of its shipbuilding industry if the climate were like that?

Has Britain even got any shipbuilding industry any more? Even our aircraft carriers are built by Thales aren't they?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Has Britain even got any shipbuilding industry any more? Even our aircraft carriers are built by Thales aren't they?

Submarines are still built at Barrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A big no to a submarine :geek:   there are some on Facebook that think we should have given the business to GB but when their government gives France the business of producing the Blue passports even when a British company had previously had the contract for years why should we, we need the best deal we can get.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

On the news at 5 O’clock, Mr Woodward repeated that he told the Gov during the take over, that they would be looking at around £75,000,000 to replace BOTH the boats and said looking at what was the likely cost of the first , they were about on track to be in that area.

I smell either poor reporting or poor English and the the intention was to identify a cost of £75 million for each boat. Woodward would know full well (sounds like a tongue-twister!) that you couldn’t replace the Ben for £32.5 mill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Submarines are still built at Barrow.

We’d really start punching above our weight if we had a Trident equipped nuclear sub. In fact it’s probably LibVan policy.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Has Britain even got any shipbuilding industry any more? Even our aircraft carriers are built by Thales aren't they?

The Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers are built in Glasgow, Cammell Laird still build ships and I believe Harland and Wolff can still build?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers are built in Glasgow, Cammell Laird still build ships and I believe Harland and Wolff can still build?

I really doubt the UK can ever hope to compete with the Koreans, having watched a few documentaries about these worlds biggest shipyards is absolutely mind blowing they can go from the drawing board to the world's largest ship plying the oceans in a few short months.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...