Big new boat in the bay!

A new boat n the morning   

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers are built in Glasgow, 

Parts were built in Glasgow, and (Cammell Laird, Portsmouth, Appledore in Devon and somewhere near Newcastle) but the ships were put together at Rosyth in Fife.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But where’s all the polished mahogany and brass...shouted Uhtred from the 19th century.

Something will go wrong with the order, like it'll be too big to fit in the sea and they'll have to redesign it. 

I think it was widely said at the time that new boats would be £70 million each. I certainly posted that on here. (or if you’re CalMac they’re £110 million each, smaller than the Ben/new boat, an

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Parts were built in Glasgow, and (Cammell Laird, Portsmouth, Appledore in Devon and somewhere near Newcastle) but the ships were put together at Rosyth in Fife.

Now there's a shithole if ever there was one!

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Bad is it? Never really been to that side of Scotland. Quite fancied going to the Kingdom of Fife at some point.

Stick with the beautiful west coast!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, finlo said:

Stick with the beautiful west coast!

Yeah man, I love it, and the islands. Stornoway and the Isle of Lewis are fantastic, the drive up to Ullapool and the ferry too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Korea is a modern industrial economy though, and the largest shipbuilder in the world. No sweatshops there, just that their currency was advantageous and their workers not unionised to the same degree, allowing them to build a great economy. 

Work longer hours than many countries yet on average paid a lot less

14 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Work longer hours than many countries yet on average paid a lot less

Not so sure, watched a program about the guy's who drive the car's onto the giant transport ships in Ulsan 4/5 thousand car's per ship 4/5 ship's  per day earning over £70,000 a year.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Has Britain even got any shipbuilding industry any more? Even our aircraft carriers are built by Thales aren't they?

Not Thales alone, production was coordinated via the 'Aircraft Carrier Alliance' composed of BAE, Babcock, Thales, MOD and Rosyth dockyard.

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Though as far as you can tell from that clip, being 'cosmopolitan' translates as "having a coffee bar".  It's like the 1950s never went away.  (Or being the Steamie, maybe the 1850s).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though as far as you can tell from that clip, being 'cosmopolitan' translates as "having a coffee bar".  It's like the 1950s never went away.  (Or being the Steamie, maybe the 1850s).

Did you travel, in the 50’s or 60’s? The deck buffets. Curled at the edges sandwiches, meat pies, individually wrapped slices of Genoa cake or biscuits.

Railway men’s tea and dreadful coffee.

It sounded quite promising, separate cafe, restaurant, bar, many more cabins, lift that can operate whilst at sea ( I’m stuck on whatever deck I’m on once it sails at present ), better dog facilities, more cabins.

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

12 hours ago, finlo said:

I really doubt the UK can ever hope to compete with the Koreans, having watched a few documentaries about these worlds biggest shipyards is absolutely mind blowing they can go from the drawing board to the world's largest ship plying the oceans in a few short months.

3 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Not Thales alone, production was coordinated via the 'Aircraft Carrier Alliance' composed of BAE, Babcock, Thales, MOD and Rosyth dockyard.

That's pretty much how ships are built nowadays, even in Korea. A lot of the work is done away from the slipway/assembly area. British shipbuilders hung on to the old working practices right up until the end.

55 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Did you travel, in the 50’s or 60’s? The deck buffets. Curled at the edges sandwiches, meat pies, individually wrapped slices of Genoa cake or biscuits.

Railway men’s tea and dreadful coffee.

It sounded quite promising, separate cafe, restaurant, bar, many more cabins, lift that can operate whilst at sea ( I’m stuck on whatever deck I’m on once it sails at present ), better dog facilities, more cabins.

Ah! "Individually wrapped slices of Genoa cake".  The madeleines of a Sixties childhood.

I wasn't really attacking the plans, which seem the sort of thing we ought to expect from a new ferry, just amused by the rather dated way in which they were being described.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

(Or being the Steamie, maybe the 1850s).

I’d be delighted if the Steamie’s on-board offering were in future to be derived from the 1850s, as we’d almost certainly have access to silver service dining, a selection of decent claret and cabins of comfort rather than relying on the decor and furnishing of an Iranian jail.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Sadly Labour Governments ensured that there was always 2 or 3 men employed for every post. Like car, bike, and heavy machinery production, Britain was never going to be competitive . Never will be as we can’t ever play catch up.We handed most industries to  the Far East many moons ago. They call the tune now. So much fir the British Empire. ( it was sold out to commie union leaders)

FC6EE0D4-6B22-4903-AB88-1F4D5A14A750.jpeg

• Like 3