Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Southfork

Allinson launches anonymous survey

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not sure this is a good idea, anonymity is fine on here for just a bit of light relief and mild kicking off, but for official government stuff?

My assumption is that he has been told by some parents that if they really say what they want in their own names their children might suffer at school. Some parents really seem to be very angry that next to fuck all seems to have been done for their kids by people who have since copped a huge pay increase straight afterwards. It’s a break in normal government protocols so I’m more wondering what might be behind this shift to allow anonymous feedback. 

• Like 5

I don't really get the FURY some people have being displaying myself, and especially towards the teachers themselves. It was an unprecedented situation and no one knew what was going on or what could happen. In my case communication from the school could have been much better, but that isnt anything new.  To my mind the whole thing was a failure of leadership, the individual headmasters all the way to the top of the department and indeed the minister. Teachers probably aren't allowed to use their own initiative these days, doing something useful and helpful but away from the rules will probably get them in trouble.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Southfork said:

He clearly has concerns that some people don’t want to see their kids potentially suffer if they opt tell the truth about what they really feel about the education support they got during lockdown in a survey. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/education-minister-seeks-anonymous-criticism-of-remote-learning/

I wish there was one about 20 years ago. We , quite a lot of us, had to confront bad teachers face to face.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't really get the FURY some people have being displaying myself, and especially towards the teachers themselves. It was an unprecedented situation and no one knew what was going on or what could happen. In my case communication from the school could have been much better, but that isnt anything new. 

I’m not sure it’s fury to be honest put people do seem to feel very aggrieved. My own business was back up and running in 24 hours post lockdown. All working a full day supporting our clients who ultimately pay our wages. This was despite in my case two people working from home for 7 hours a day and also trying to keep two kids on track with learning stuff without any guidance or contact. I’d have loved to have done nothing for three months but that wasn’t an opinion unless I risked the sack. I can see why he’s gone anonymous on this. I think people might wish to give honest feedback without some teacher picking on their kid. 

• Like 1

I can't help thinking that some of the anger is because people hate their kids. I mean, all they do is whinge and moan and eat 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I can't help thinking that some of the anger is because people hate their kids. I mean, all they do is whinge and moan and eat 

I’d say most people love their kids and seem to feel an immense sense of being let down by people who are paid to provide an education to them. A lot of people found juggling a demanding home working job and schooling their kids at the same time hard. A lot of employers expected people to transition in 48 hours and be back up and running at full speed. Some support or guidance on what to do educationally I’m sure would have been good. But the more people you speak to no support was offered so should it be any surprise that feedback is negative? People have worked their asses off to keep their jobs and done the schooling piece on top while it looks like a load of teachers have done a bit of cycling and sunbathing then got a pay rise. There needs to be a full audit and honest feedback without fear of reprisal. If teachers don’t like that then tough. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have to say the teacher for my child was fantastic went beyond what she had to do in my opinion obviously that wont be everyones experience but I have no complaints and I've passed that onto the school. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I have to say the teacher for my child was fantastic went beyond what she had to do in my opinion obviously that wont be everyones experience but I have no complaints and I've passed that onto the school. 

Was that primary or secondary though? The big issue speaking to people seems to be secondary and going into GCSE years especially in and around Douglas. 

Both my children had zero help from teachers over the lockdown. Cant wait to fill out this form.

P.S. They both left school in the early 2000s, does that still count?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Which of course is much like the one about the chap who took his son out to the pub for his first drink. The lad didn't like lager, so dad had to drink it for him, didn't like the bitter either so dad had to drink that for him too. Same with mild and a couple of the bottled beers. By the time he got onto the spirits he was too pissed to push the pram home.

• Haha 3

Doesn’t fill you with confidence that this survey is anonymous when the first question is your name, and the second your email address. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4