Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
John Wright

Bridges, loadsamoney

Posted (edited)

you can walk from KM to Peel Rd (+ thus back into Peel) or to St John's tho the two main bridges (Glen Wyllin + Glen Moar have gone (fantastic if these could be re-instated) + bridge across St John's to Peel road (this would really help as that stretch of road can be insanely fast) + also a couple of bridges over farm tracks - the bridges would be needed for general cycle use - there are also level crossings to consider with two across quite busy roads coming back from St John's to Union Mills. Drainage was a problem in a couple of areas (eg around Peel Rd station) but wasn't too bad last time walked path (tho that is now some months ago)

Edited by Frances

Green Credentials

A report at sometime in the future will be made to Tynwald about the green lanes, cycle paths,  that  have appeared on the Island.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

More waste, bloat and if it supposedly costs £1.3 million, it will end up costing over £2.5 million, and will take longer than originally planned.

However, if it concentrated on footpaths would make a great winter works scheme.

It would be the perfect winter work scheme. It just takes a politician with the balls to do something about it. Why not use the Jurby inmates while they are at it?

Posted (edited)

so good I said it twice...

Edited by Neil Down

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I see they've already incurred the wrath of the Manx Wildlife bods by planning to dig up the established flora and fauna in the name of widening and "improving" said paths as well.

Amazing the money that can still be found for these projects though, either the Magic Money Tree is in rude health or the Bottomless Well is still living up to its name. Much of the line from Ballaugh to Ramsey doesn't even exist any more. Pity they can't just concentrate on finishing the promenade.

MWT are correct, it shouldn't be necessary to widen any paths.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

MWT are correct, it shouldn't be necessary to widen any paths.

Yes it should if they want it to be multi use

46 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Kirk Michael is pretty much isolated as far as the line goes. You can get to Ballaugh (I think) but southwards to Peel a lot of the route has collapsed or been reclaimed as farmland and lost, certainly down the west coast. Ditto to Sulby and Ramsey. So how are people going to cycle via those sections?

Isn't part of the project reinstating the pathways? 

If they.re spending all that for cyclists, then they should be taxing bikes and/or lycra to help pay for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Kirk Michael is pretty much isolated as far as the line goes. You can get to Ballaugh (I think) but southwards to Peel a lot of the route has collapsed or been reclaimed as farmland and lost, certainly down the west coast. Ditto to Sulby and Ramsey. So how are people going to cycle via those sections?

You can get from Kirk Michael to the middle of Sulby on the old railway lines, I've done it a few times.

I presume Kirk Michael to StJohns is or will be passable once complete.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Surprised there hasn’t been more comment about the DOI plans to build ( reconstruct ) bridges ( previously demolished ) on the route of the old railway lines to Peel/St John’s and Ramsey so that pedestrians walking, or cyclists riding, don’t have to go down and up steps and cross roads.

Total cost £1.3 million. 

It previously cost approximately £13,500 to replace the Glen Wyllin and Glen Mooar viaducts in 1915 and 1920, obviously without the help of the expertise of the DOI.

As I pointed out when this last came up in early July there is no mention of the quite substantial subsidence that occurs, and has done since 1879, at the Donkey Bank and Gob-e-Deigan. You only need to walk those sections to see how much it has moved since the railway closed. I sense that a further "vital" capital scheme will be in the offing to "cure" this in the future..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

sold by railway company for scrap value

Always thought it bizarre that the "red bridge" over the Sulby river was chopped up.

17 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

sold by railway company for scrap value

No. They were taken down long after government acquired the track bed and rolling stock. The one in Foxdale and the one on the St John’s to Peel road were taken down to widen/straighten the road and remove  the height restriction.

I suspect others went because the cost of removal was less than ongoing maintenance costs and to remove the perceived Health & Safety risk.

• Like 1