Airport “forgot” to open?

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if that was the case, why didn't the plane just circle around a bit waiting for someone to find the key or whatever?  Clearly there was no one in charge prepared (or able to) to make the decision. 

I would have thought a slot for departure from Manchester would be easy in current circumstances, I doubt they are operating at even half their normal capacity.  Though there would have been some procedures to go through because of the unexpected landing and they wouldn't have taken off without being certain that everything was sorted out.

The whole way this has been handled is symptomatic of how problems are dealt with here at the moment.  No admission that anything has gone wrong till a day and a half afterwards, and then vague apologies and no real explanation.  They blame things abstractly on 'poor communications' and then communicate it poorly.  It's not so much a lack of accountability as a lack of responsibility.  The system is set up so no one really responsible for deciding and carrying out things (hence all those committee meetings to blur who should) so no one is ever to blame.  The trouble is that the system leads to a lot more going wrong than a delayed rugby match.

We have a useless CM and has been from day one ! Who remembers when Princess Anne visted and Paul Moulton asked Quayle about the Prom and he just laughed . He should of got a grip of DOI years ago and banged some heads and told the managememt to sort themselves out or heads would roll . Take the DOI out of the equation and theres not a massive lot left apart from Health maybe . 

• Like 1
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're having a laugh! Because bad organisation always starts at the top. IOMG is the epitome of the expression "over managed and under led" and that's how they like it....

Blowing in the wind by now, Gladys. Along with any other truths about what goes on over here half the time, due to a total culture of unaccountability and responsibility within certainly, the upp

Contacts within the airport tell me that the director has issued an email to all airport staff basically exonerating the management team of any responsibility and slapping the blame firmly on Aurigny.

Posted Images

All those millions of pounds spent on delegates travelling the world spouting about how we are a prominent player on the world stage and we can’t even get someone out of bed on a Sunday morning to open the fucking door. 

Basics cost so little in comparison. Basics across the board. Ffs. My head. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

Where was the department of tourism / sport welcoming party and the press for the photo shoot?

That’s a joke!

i went to Guernsey on the first flight, when we landed there was a welcoming party in the main arrivals hall, tables with leaflets, booklets, tote bags, pencils and pens etc. A volunteer was handing out Guernsey made chocolates. What could our lot muster to welcome the first flight from Guernsey - Sweet FA, and an interview with the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece. However if your the former Chief Minister returning for a break, then your bound to create interest. 

Guernseys Tourism team are well on the ball, and make an effort, ours meanwhile are a spent force. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

We have a useless CM and has been from day one ! Who remembers when Princess Anne visted and Paul Moulton asked Quayle about the Prom and he just laughed . He should of got a grip of DOI years ago and banged some heads and told the managememt to sort themselves out or heads would roll . Take the DOI out of the equation and theres not a massive lot left apart from Health maybe . 

HRH The Chief Minister who I’ve heard is in Guernsey, hasn’t the backbone to take on the Civil Service. Any fcukups are rewarded, with a side wards promotion, I think they are frightened of the trade unions or threats of legal action. In this instance, only in the IOM can we screw things up, accept responsibility then apportion blame on to another party. 

What else this little fiasco says, especially to the younger element of Guernsey, is that the IOM is a complete joke. After all we are throwing £m at Locate.im, and we can do the basics without screwing that up. Funnily enough, Guernsey also has a Locate strap line and is trying to get skilled people to move to the island.

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if that was the case, why didn't the plane just circle around a bit waiting for someone to find the key or whatever?  Clearly there was no one in charge prepared (or able to) to make the decision. 

I would have thought a slot for departure from Manchester would be easy in current circumstances, I doubt they are operating at even half their normal capacity.  Though there would have been some procedures to go through because of the unexpected landing and they wouldn't have taken off without being certain that everything was sorted out.

The whole way this has been handled is symptomatic of how problems are dealt with here at the moment.  No admission that anything has gone wrong till a day and a half afterwards, and then vague apologies and no real explanation.  They blame things abstractly on 'poor communications' and then communicate it poorly.  It's not so much a lack of accountability as a lack of responsibility.  The system is set up so no one really responsible for deciding and carrying out things (hence all those committee meetings to blur who should) so no one is ever to blame.  The trouble is that the system leads to a lot more going wrong than a delayed rugby match.

That was exactly my point Roger, once the cock up was found (which would be pretty immediate) it should have been quite a quick thing to get the necessary staff there to open up if the airport was due to open at 11 anyway. 

The fact that the plane had to divert and wait at Manchester for the airport staff to scratch their balls and get out of bed makes you wonder what their disaster response plan might look like. 

• Like 3

Whilst everyone is working out how and why the airport failed to open for a plane that should have been arriving with a blaze of publicity (???)...

Will somebody please publish the result of the rugby match?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

But nobody for failure to welcome the visiting team

Presumably because CM Quayle doesn't have the word 'failure' in his vocab

HRH The Chief Ministers vocabulary won’t have many words like failure or sorry. They will have words like Grants, Farmers and Holiday Cottages!

Nobody should have been there to welcome the arrival of a plane, the airport should have been open full stop! Like I mentioned before, Guernsey tourism are in the ball, clued up and want tourism. I don’t think ours do, I think to some of our politicos and civil servants, tourists and tourism is a mere nuisance , people in the way it spoils their enjoyment, they have to get up in the morning.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Whilst everyone is working out how and why the airport failed to open for a plane that should have been arriving with a blaze of publicity (???)...

Will somebody please publish the result of the rugby match?

Which one? It was a Junior Rugby festival with a variety of teams playing from U14 to U18. There were around 70 matches played in the Xrugby 7s format.