Airport “forgot” to open?

That was not what we have been told - ATC and fire and rescue were in place, but the ground crew and terminal staff were not.  Who controls ATC, the CAA rather than IOMG/Baker/Reynolds/Spake? I wonder where the truth is. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're having a laugh! Because bad organisation always starts at the top. IOMG is the epitome of the expression "over managed and under led" and that's how they like it....

Blowing in the wind by now, Gladys. Along with any other truths about what goes on over here half the time, due to a total culture of unaccountability and responsibility within certainly, the upp

Contacts within the airport tell me that the director has issued an email to all airport staff basically exonerating the management team of any responsibility and slapping the blame firmly on Aurigny.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I wonder where the truth is. 

Blowing in the wind by now, Gladys.

Along with any other truths about what goes on over here half the time, due to a total culture of unaccountability and responsibility within certainly, the upper stratae of the IoM Public Sector.

Madam has rightly just been nicked for abuse of the MERA scheme. But above a certain level you can squander hundreds of thousands or even millions of pounds over here at any amount of inconvenience or embarrassment and it will be quietly brushed under the rug and nothing said. Everywhere you look.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Banker said:

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/08/11/apology-over-manx-flight-diversion/

according to Guernsey need it was lack of ATC which caused problems 

That's actually just based on the same statement as reported by Manx Radio.  Though I can't seem to remember it mentioning ATC when I first read it last night - has it been silently expanded since?  Of course Aurigny aren't going to make a fuss about Manx Government incompetence when they are hoping for future business from them.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's actually just based on the same statement as reported by Manx Radio.  Though I can't seem to remember it mentioning ATC when I first read it last night - has it been silently expanded since?  Of course Aurigny aren't going to make a fuss about Manx Government incompetence when they are hoping for future business from them.

No, I don't  remember ATC being mentioned either.  Perhaps someone from MR could confirm if it has been amended. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Banker said:

Has Skelly or Baker as ministers made any comments or are they on 12 week break?

Skelly's been on MR this afternoon waxing lyrical about how much support DfE give to industry and enterprise but I don't know when it was recorded.

@Mattshaw15 do the coastguard fall under Dr Spake ? Only ask as his uk reg Audi is parked on a driveway in Port Erin next to a snazzy coastguard search and rescue vehicle  #146 (which isn't going off on a search and rescue job in a hurry seeing as it's blocked in )  Assume it's only a coincidence and he hasn't been given a Manx registered government vehicle to run around in. 

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

Again, unless arrangements were in place to the contrary everyone knew ATC opened at 11.00 local, and they did to the minute !

So, ATC (and the fire and rescue service) were not there when the flight was scheduled to land?

TBH, it doesn't really matter what bit was or wasn't open, but that it took so long for a statement which was then changed. 

A quick statement on Sunday saying that the airport was not prepared for the flight, the reasons are being looked into but we apologise to the passengers inconvenienced and are taking steps with our partners, Aurigny, to ensure the planned matches can take place, would have sat better.  Who was responsible could come out in the fullness of time, but at least we would have looked like the IOM was on top of it and not like a bunch of rabbits caught in the headlights. 

• Like 1