Airport “forgot” to open?

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

A quick statement on Sunday saying that the airport was not prepared for the flight, the reasons are being looked into but we apologise to the passengers inconvenienced and are taking steps with our partners, Aurigny, to ensure the planned matches can take place, would have sat better.  Who was responsible could come out in the fullness of time, but at least we would have looked like the IOM was on top of it and not like a bunch of rabbits caught in the headlights. 

Not standing up for them, but there probably isn't a PR person on call 24/7

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're having a laugh! Because bad organisation always starts at the top. IOMG is the epitome of the expression "over managed and under led" and that's how they like it....

Blowing in the wind by now, Gladys. Along with any other truths about what goes on over here half the time, due to a total culture of unaccountability and responsibility within certainly, the upp

Contacts within the airport tell me that the director has issued an email to all airport staff basically exonerating the management team of any responsibility and slapping the blame firmly on Aurigny.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, kevster said:

Not standing up for them, but there probably isn't a PR person on call 24/7

Why not?  However, that doesn't really need a PR person, but someone with a bit of savvy and sensitivity as to how it could unfold. 

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Why not?  However, that doesn't really need a PR person, but someone with a bit of savvy and sensitivity as to how it could unfold. 

Not to also mention that the purpose of social media is supposed to be that it is quick and instant in terms of finding out information. Not getting a reply in 2 days time after the social media team is back at work. Social media is 24/7 which is totally incompatible with government  T & Cs.

For the salaries that some of these people are undoubtedly on, they should be on call 24/7. Like many other salaried workers in this world.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But if the people who the work also handle the PR, who is going to employ all the PR people?  And when things go wrong we might actually hear that things have gone wrong rather than that something has been 'badly communicated'.  That will never do.

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Social media is 24/7 which is totally incompatible with government  T & Cs.

I you think about it lots of government employees have to cover 24/7, or at least more than 9-5.  The real problem is the control freakery where every interaction with the public has to be vetted by those in charge, mainly to prove they are doing something.

Though it does have to be said that the expectations of anyone working in PR in the private sector would be that there would be a fair amount of out of hours firefighting involved.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I you think about it lots of government employees have to cover 24/7, or at least more than 9-5.  The real problem is the control freakery where every interaction with the public has to be vetted by those in charge, mainly to prove they are doing something.

Though it does have to be said that the expectations of anyone working in PR in the private sector would be that there would be a fair amount of out of hours firefighting involved.

It’s a mix of T & Cs and control freakery. In most commercial situations social media channel managers are trusted to be on message and are employed exactly for those skills - so to be able to reply at 3am in the morning and be either on message or suitably vague enough to respond to a question without making the company they are contacted to look stupid. In government it’s usually some marketing person with little expertise in social media who gets the job as anyone with actual experience in social media wouldn’t take it. Then they get offered a 9 to 5 contract like everyone else in government so they go home at 5 on Friday evening and log back in on Monday morning. It’s almost a waste of time to actually employ those sort of people on those sort of contracts to manage social media engagement. Look at @myprom as a perfect example. That team has given up engaging with the public as really how much varnish can you coat a turd with? I bet they’re still getting paid though. 

• Like 2
Q) EGTT/QFAAH/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5405N00437W005
B) FROM: 20/06/14 06:00C) TO: 20/09/12 19:45
E) THE AD WILL BE OPEN TO AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS DURING THE FOLLOWING
PERIODS
MON-FRI 0515-1945
SAT - CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC
SUN - 1000-1945

Q) EGTT/QAECA/IV/NBO/AE/000/105/5401N00438W021
B) FROM: 20/08/11 13:15C) TO: 20/09/20 19:45
E) ISLE OF MAN CTA/CTR/ATZ ACTIVE DURING THE FOLLOWING PERIODS
MON-FRI 0500-1945
SAT -   NOT ACTIVE
SUN     0945-1945

Handling agents and Aurigny pilots can't read or write flight plans !

Edited by snowman
21 minutes ago, asitis said:

For those not familiar you need to add one hour to those times to get the local time.

In summer.

Is it as simple as that. Aurigny mistook UTC for BST? I thought times were stated UTC + x as standard so this was avoided?

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

In summer.

Is it as simple as that. Aurigny mistook UTC for BST? I thought times were stated UTC + x as standard so this was avoided?

Wouldn't Aurigny have to file their flight plan showing they intend to arrive at 10 to which the airport could say but it is summer and we don't open until 11? 

30 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Wouldn't Aurigny have to file their flight plan showing they intend to arrive at 10 to which the airport could say but it is summer and we don't open until 11? 

I don’t know. Hence the question marks. If those times were UTC I’d expect it to say and if 11 I’d expect UTC 10+1

I think you guys are reading far too much in to this and the NOTAM.

The fact is that Aurigny had arranged with the IOM side to allow for the rugby charter to land as part of the 'ever evolving relationship' between Gov + Aurigny/Guernsey. Some involved parties at the airport knew about it, some weren't aware of it and it messed up.

Yes Aurigny should have questioned the NOTAM prior to departure with the IOM side as they're taken as gospel, if that's what it says that's how it is...