Airport “forgot” to open?

Southfork

3 hours ago, andrew said:

The IOM Airport NOTAM listed with the opening hours of Sunday 11:00 to 20:45 is for a wide period of time (14 June 2020 to 12 Sept 2020). Aurigny had apparently "agreed" with IOM Airport to open early especially for this flight, so the NOTAM may not necessarily be updated to reflect a single change in date. Equally as its a 90 minute flight (it was an ATR rather than the Jet which does it in 60 minutes), then ATC wouldn't have been open before the flight took off in Guernsey. As such I can see why the pilot ignored the NOTAM as they were told something different was happening.

I understand that it was only when the flight was around Liverpool area that they realised it was still shut. As such they diverted to Manchester airport (where Aurigny also fly to pre covid and so have handling agents etc) and sat there on the apron (to avoid Covid issues). I assume once they sorted the issues then a new flight plan had to be filed, a take off slot at Manchester sorted and then they could fly from there to the IOM.

So it seems that Aurigny had "agreed" with someone at IOM Airport that it would open early. Aurigny took that as definitely happening, whereas IOM Airport seemed to be awaiting something else which they never got and so didn't arrange for ATC, Fire Service and Airport staff to be there early, however never went back to Aurigny. As such a communications error on both parts (but more so IOM Airport!).

Exactly what I was alluding to !

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

Or is he AOM? Rather than DAD?

Is DAD a bit like his Doctorate, an honorary title?

AOM -

Airport Operations Manager

If you look at the payscale I linked to earlier in the thread you will see that DAD and AOM are the same thing. The AOM job has been retitled DAD. 

21 minutes ago, piebaps said:

If you look at the payscale I linked to earlier in the thread you will see that DAD and AOM are the same thing. The AOM job has been retitled DAD. 

Except with about a 14% uplift from the previous scale for AOM. When the principle of new terms for new starters was to reduce scales by about 8%....

On 8/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, Southfork said:

Apparently it is. Flight had to divert to MCR as they apparently forgot it was coming in and hadn’t opened the airport. But heard that second hand from a friend who was linked to the rugby match. Haven’t seen much elsewhere yet. But if true FFS what are all these people being paid to do? 

How many places on the island can you actually land a plane, there must be more than one  ?

1 hour ago, lcd said:

Except with about a 14% uplift from the previous scale for AOM. When the principle of new terms for new starters was to reduce scales by about 8%....

Ah, but there was all the money saved by getting rid of the baggage throwers, that justifies it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

Glad someone could sort them out this morning, at least it wasn't another embarrassment !

Haven`t heard anything from Ann Reynolds, about the success of the airport, for what seems like years, so must assume no more money is needed to make it successful.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Haven`t heard anything from Ann Reynolds, about the success of the airport, for what seems like years, so must assume no more money is needed to make it successful.

Makes me laugh, we get our knickers in a twist about some losses if we took some kind of part in an airline (not saying buy one), but we shrug our shoulders at the millions required every year to fund the airport and its rafts of management and premier league bullshitters ! I would much rather throw a few million at some aircraft than down the throats of the gravy slurpers doing next to eff all !

Edited by asitis

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Ah, but there was all the money saved by getting rid of the baggage throwers, that justifies it...

Except no doubt the new contract with the handling company will probably cost far more than even the previous situation because the geniuses in charge won't have specified the contract properly.  Not that we (or indeed they) will never know because the financial management of the Airport is so disorganised that no one really knows what anything genuinely costs - even industry experts can't work it out (and further comments)because of the lack of interest in normal accountancy methods.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Makes me laugh, we get our knickers in a twist about some losses if we took some kind of part in an airline (not saying buy one), but we shrug our shoulders at the millions required every year to fund the airport and its rafts of management and premier league bullshitters ! I would much rather throw a few million at some aircraft than down the throats of the gravy slurpers doing next to eff all !

But it wouldn't be either/or -  it never is.  All the existing bullshitters would remain in place plus a load of new ones to 'run' the airline - before you actually get to the people that would get the planes to fly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...