Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Southfork

Airport “forgot” to open?

One has to wonder how long he will stay around when he doesn't get what he wants. I.e. he doesn't want Aurigny in and he still wants what was is, £120m to build an all new airport complex?

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

Does anyone know where the job of Deputy Airport Director was advertised ? who was interviewed ? and who was on the interview panel ?

Probably advertised in the Vacancies section of the "IoM Civil Service Internal and Mates Only" monthly journal.

Interviewed Candidates, I can't comment on.

The interview panel would have consisted of more mates, some might not even have had anything to do with the Airport but it helps no end with the selection process.

This process is common through a lot of IoM Government and Local Authority Town Hall appointments.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

The interview panel would have consisted of more mates, some might not even have had anything to do with the Airport but it helps no end with the selection process.

I bet when the man from the telly sauntered in someone on the panel literally wet their pants. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It's my understanding the airport in management and industrial relations terms is in a terrible mess !

Where do we find such incompetents in senior positions time and time again in all areas of island service provision ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

off island..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First of all, there is some real natural talent in the islands public service. The wider problem lies in a number of areas. One being the lack of any sort of tangible ‘leadership academy’ for the civil service here. Sure, there are some ‘management courses’ but they are pretty benign, and IMHO contribute little to anyone’s ability to lead. I know a Year or so ago they advertised for someone to develop a coaching network for Government, but the advert mysteriously disappeared. I know the difference skilled coaching can make,and I really hope they get this underway.

If you want competent leaders, you have to invest heavily in the development of the right people. Not everyone has the ‘right stuff’ in their DNA. I know that I’d have been a much more effective leader had there been more investment in this sort of stuff early in my career. I research a lot these days, and continue to find great practice and stuff we could learn from. 

Once again, we could be the best in the world. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

If you want competent leaders, you have to invest heavily in the development of the right people. Not everyone has the ‘right stuff’ in their DNA. I know that I’d have been a much more effective leader had there been more investment in this sort of stuff early in my career. I research a lot these days, and continue to find great practice and stuff we could learn from. 

You're having a laugh!

Because bad organisation always starts at the top.

IOMG is the epitome of the expression "over managed and under led" and that's how they like it....

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

First of all, there is some real natural talent in the islands public service. The wider problem lies in a number of areas. One being the lack of any sort of tangible ‘leadership academy’ for the civil service here. Sure, there are some ‘management courses’ but they are pretty benign, and IMHO contribute little to anyone’s ability to lead. I know a Year or so ago they advertised for someone to develop a coaching network for Government, but the advert mysteriously disappeared. I know the difference skilled coaching can make,and I really hope they get this underway.

you start drinking early don't ya

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You're having a laugh!

Because bad organisation always starts at the top.

IOMG is the epitome of the expression "over managed and under led" and that's how they like it....

14 minutes ago, WTF said:

you start drinking early don't ya

I just want it to be better, for the people that work there, and for the public they serve.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I just want it to be better, for the people that work there, and for the public they serve.

We all want it better but till someone addresses the current civil service setup its not happening. Clearly there is too many incompetents working in various departments with no apparent sign of any accountability. DOI immediately comes to mind . I said it before the last election and will say it again. We need a strong credible CM  who will sort out the mess in government management structure. We have Quayle . Enough said. Taxpayers money is getting wasted at a ridiculous rate . Ohhh and I'm not sure they serve anyone but themselves. The coalface workers do but anyone with any power is in it for what they can get .  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

the people that work there have got it good in the most part based on what they actually do and what they get paid.

• Like 3

The poor dear....