Airport “forgot” to open?

55 minutes ago, asitis said:

No one seems able to answer, was a special arrangement in place for a landing before 11.00am? if so heads need to roll ! If not 11.00am is the published opening time on Sundays at the moment !

The NOTAM in force at the time of the flight stayed AD available from 1000 UTC, i.e 11am local.

Edited by lcd
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're having a laugh! Because bad organisation always starts at the top. IOMG is the epitome of the expression "over managed and under led" and that's how they like it....

Blowing in the wind by now, Gladys. Along with any other truths about what goes on over here half the time, due to a total culture of unaccountability and responsibility within certainly, the upp

Contacts within the airport tell me that the director has issued an email to all airport staff basically exonerating the management team of any responsibility and slapping the blame firmly on Aurigny.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, asitis said:

No one seems able to answer, was a special arrangement in place for a landing before 11.00am? if so heads need to roll ! If not 11.00am is the published opening time on Sundays at the moment !

But I’m guessing it isn’t normal aviation practice to just get in a plane and hope that the airport you’re flying to is open when you get there? Surely flight plans are logged and it’s all pre scheduled well in advance? 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, Southfork said:

But I’m guessing it isn’t normal aviation practice to just get in a plane and hope that the airport you’re flying to is open when you get there? Surely flight plans are logged and it’s all pre scheduled well in advance? 

My thought too.  I thought you had to file a flight plan, presumably with the destination airport also. 

It'll be something like, the air traffic control and the firetruck being ready  but the baggage handlers or people who put the steps in place not being told to come in.

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I love the naivety of expecting an up to the minute response from any branch of Isle of Man Government by using social media.  Especially on a Sunday.  The IOM Airport twitter account hasn't  tweeted anything since 17 July (when it welcomed Rob Callister to the fold).  

Just seen this. Yes I imagine they’ll be getting a reply around 11:30 today after someone has come in, caught up on a few things and had a nice cup of tea than asked their boss (who has then asked their boss who has asked the minister) what the reply should be. Then we might get to the bottom of it. Government social media is brilliant. 

1 hour ago, lcd said:

The NOTAM in force at the time of the flight stayed AD available from 1000 UTC, i.e 11am local.

Exactly, either Aurigny messed up or the airport did ?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's in normal times when there was a full schedule operating.  Given that they are having to deal with so little work at the moment, you'd have though they could have managed a little flexibility.  In any case I don't think Aurigny would have turned up on spec - airlines don't operate like that.  No doubt it was agreed with someone in DoI who couldn't be bothered to tell anyone else.

Edited to add:  The tour was hardly secret and was covered in media on the Island, so there was no excuse for not knowing.  Amusing that IOM Newspapers suddenly gets an article up (all based on Twitter, because journalism) half an hour after it appears on MF - though over six hours after it happened.

What are you actually talking about?

During ‘normal times when there was a full schedule operating’ the airport has always opened at 6.45 local on a Sunday morning. This information is clearly available on the airport website and the UK AIP air pilot.

You’re suggesting that when the airport is operating with a full schedule and movements it opens later than it does during a global pandemic that has reduced air traffic movements by up to ~90%?

On top of this the airport has worked entirely through the COVID pandemic, even during periods of closure the airport was staffed by ATC and Fire crew to be able to respond for emergency ambulance flights. They are the key workers that you have been clapping for.

Take a moment to think before you spread misinformation and question the flexibility of the staff that have worked tirelessly for you whilst have to deal with a twerp like Spake.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Mattshaw15 said:

On top of this the airport has worked entirely through the COVID pandemic, even during periods of closure the airport was staffed by ATC and Fire crew to be able to respond for emergency ambulance flights. 

Some great pool scores must have been recorded when they literally had nothing to do for a whole shift. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Just seen this. Yes I imagine they’ll be getting a reply around 11:30 today after someone has come in, caught up on a few things and had a nice cup of tea than asked their boss (who has then asked their boss who has asked the minister) what the reply should be. Then we might get to the bottom of it. Government social media is brilliant. 

I actually had a conversation less than a year ago with a DoI employee where I pointed out that it might have been a good idea to put out a schedule change on Twitter and Facebook as it might have meant more people using the service.  I was solemnly told that this wasn't possible as the girl who did social media only came in on Fridays.

I know we complain about the police occasionally putting up something a bit stupid on Twitter, but at least they do get the idea that social media is about informing the public as quickly as possible about practical matters rather than just dull self-promotion that interests no one.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gladys said:

My thought too.  I thought you had to file a flight plan, presumably with the destination airport also. 

I’d have thought so. Surely they will have to make a statement now. 

16 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Do they get flown in on a Sunday?

Ive given up buying a Sunday paper since lockdown 

The papers are flown in when Ben is not scheduled to have an overnight crossing to Heysham. Sometimes it is to give them a maintenance break. At other times, like this last weekend, there is an overnight sailing to Ireland. Ben went to Belfast on Saturday night.

• Like 1