Jump to content

Douglas to Peel Railway Petition


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were actually losing only about £200K a year fairly consistently.  The Corpy only got rid of them because their Councillors revolted against a scheme of Christian's for an expensive rebuild of th

You must be glad to be in England with such a top notch team running the place.

Tesla tower. Douglas head. Gosh you guys are so negative 

Posted Images

Wasn't one of the proposals behind the Pt Erin - Douglas line upgrade of a few years ago, to run proper narrow gauge commuter trains? As opposed to the heritage stuff that's its only use at the moment. Apart from the Cabbage...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Why do people think commuters would suddenly jump on trains when they don't already jump on the buses.

Prior to lock down the commuter buses were busy. If all the car drivers were to switch to public transport, you'd need to increase capacity. But if that becomes an issue running buses more regularly seems a cheaper solution, than running an entirely separate infrastructure. Even on the Port Erin route - you get one bus driver to come in earlier vs train driver, guard, station masters, the people in  the huts that wave flags and open gates.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Declan said:

Prior to lock down the commuter buses were busy. If all the car drivers were to switch to public transport, you'd need to increase capacity. But if that becomes an issue running buses more regularly seems a cheaper solution, than running an entirely separate infrastructure. Even on the Port Erin route - you get one bus driver to come in earlier vs train driver, guard, station masters, the people in  the huts that wave flags and open gates.

Whereas now the buses are a joke. Saw the whole of PSM log jammed several times last week as two totally empty buses blocked the whole village driving in and then back round and out with absolutely nobody on board. It was farcical. Total gridlock caused by two buses that weren’t even providing a service to anyone just driving round empty clogging up the place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the London solution to the commuter car driving was simple - congestion charge coupled with warden monitored + expensive car parks - whether this is really applicable to Douglas I doubt but it does appear that all-day commuter parking is too cheap both in terms of individual charges and the taxes on company supplied parking - I know in the University I worked at a couple of decades ago the University found it cheaper to pay some subsidy to improve bus services than to pay the annual charge on a larger car park. Wardens checking cars within a certain zone (easy these days with handheld ANPR devices) would remove the 2 hour car shuffle + keep places open for the shopper tho quite what brings them to Strand St defeats me.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Whereas now the buses are a joke. Saw the whole of PSM log jammed several times last week as two totally empty buses blocked the whole village driving in and then back round and out with absolutely nobody on board. It was farcical. Total gridlock caused by two buses that weren’t even providing a service to anyone just driving round empty clogging up the place. 

The problem is caused by cars parked on the main road, not the buses.

Port St. Mary is the end of the line so it is going to have mostly empty buses going through it, but those buses will be full in Douglas. And it's a dead end so each bus goes in and out on the same road.

(Although the timetable in PSM is a bit odd so the bus that goes to Castletown and on to Douglas and the bus the Port Erin that goes on to Castletown and Douglas arrive within a few minutes of each other)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

How do these campaigners propose the train actually gets to Douglas? 

quite easy really. They dig up all the nice new footpath/cycle lanes then replace it with costly rail track...

You do wonder where these nuggets get their ideas from...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

quite easy really. They dig up all the nice new footpath/cycle lanes then replace it with costly rail track...

You do wonder where these nuggets get their ideas from...

That's not really the bit I mean, sticking rails down along that stretch wouldn't be that (DoI etc) difficult. It was more the Hills Meadow section I was wondering about, where there isn't any room to stick a railway track anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We could have had some commuter-based infrastructure and light rolling stock for the money that's been spent on the Cabbage. Probably.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's not really the bit I mean, sticking rails down along that stretch wouldn't be that (DoI etc) difficult. It was more the Hills Meadow section I was wondering about, where there isn't any room to stick a railway track anymore.

That's the problem with these "enthusiasts" cost and practicality mean nothing to them

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's not really the bit I mean, sticking rails down along that stretch wouldn't be that (DoI etc) difficult. It was more the Hills Meadow section I was wondering about, where there isn't any room to stick a railway track anymore.

New train station at the QB?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...