Douglas to Peel Railway Petition

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Nip down to the prom and look at the feckin mess caused by integrating a loss making nag tram,

FFS Neil.

If somebody spends £600 coming here on holiday because they love the trams but only buys two return tickets at £5 . Does that make the trams a loss maker ? I will help you answer that. NO.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were actually losing only about £200K a year fairly consistently.  The Corpy only got rid of them because their Councillors revolted against a scheme of Christian's for an expensive rebuild of th

You must be glad to be in England with such a top notch team running the place.

Tesla tower. Douglas head. Gosh you guys are so negative 

Posted Images

The TT brings 30k+ spending visitors over here (if Skelly & Co are to be believed, anyway). Recent Treasury figures suggest that the TT and FOM cost £5.5M to stage, pa.

How many specific visitors do the horse trams bring and what's the revenue vs ongoing expenditure? Every year is loss upon loss on official figures. Plus the incredible amounts of money that are currently being expended to "incorporate" them into the Prom overhaul.

Unless you're going to try and justify them as some sort of tourism loss-leader. And £400k pa + whatever they're spending now is a loss indeed.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
On 8/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, monasqueen said:

They were including rental charges for their office accommodation, etc. etc. as part of the horse tram costs - no doubt at full commercial rates.

You can make practically anything look as though it's losing buckets of money with the "right" sort of creative accounting.

New stables have not been built. The old Victorian ones are still to be used for the horses. 

There is a new tram shed. The old one had to be demolished before it fell down of its own accord - probably because no-one spent any money on maintenance. The temporary marquee is still in place, even though it's been empty for ages. Perhaps they have a cunning plan for that.

I thought the whole lot was being moved into the new tram sheds and the old site sold, up for about £1.5m? 

When the trams were established, it was a private enterprise. It went bust and the corpy bought them as a going concern. 

24 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

FFS Neil.

If somebody spends £600 coming here on holiday because they love the trams but only buys two return tickets at £5 . Does that make the trams a loss maker ? I will help you answer that. NO.

I’m glad your not my feckin accountant

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I thought the whole lot was being moved into the new tram sheds and the old site sold, up for about £1.5m? 

When the trams were established, it was a private enterprise. It went bust and the corpy bought them as a going concern. 

And I thank them for doing so

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

News, from 2 1/2 years ago, clearly passed you by. And in June 2018, the stable buildings were put onto the protected buildings register

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

just an idea for the Peel line, a monorail :D

Isn't that the one that had a elephant fall out  into the river below?

Edited by kevster
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, kevster said:

Isn't that the one that had a elephant fall out  into the river below?

Firstly, it is an elephant not a elephant. Secondly, not sure how the harry hill you'd get an elephant into that

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Firstly, it is an elephant not a elephant. Secondly, not sure how the harry hill you'd get an elephant into that

IIRC it was something to do with promoting a circus that was visiting the town.  A German girlfriend told me about it in the early 80s

7 minutes ago, kevster said:

IIRC it was something to do with promoting a circus that was visiting the town.  A German girlfriend told me about it in the early 80s

You should always believe your old girlfriends:

1 July 1950
The Althoff Circus organised a publicity stunt by putting a baby elephant on a train at Alter Markt station. As the elephant started to bump around during the ride, she fell out of the car and into the river Wupper.[22] The elephant, two journalists, and one passenger sustained minor injuries. After this jump, the elephant got the name Tuffi, meaning 'waterdive' in Italian. Both operator and circus director were fined after the incident.