Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Economic Recovery Group

This made me laugh as reported on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece - 

Government is holding off on providing more details about the team tasked with kick-starting the Manx economy in the wake of COVID-19.

The ‘Economic Recovery Group’ (ERG) is chaired by the treasury minister, and is overseeing projects to create jobs to meet the challenge of high unemployment, increase local spending, and accelerate infrastructure projects.

Alfred Cannan announced £100 million of public money would be set aside to finance this work in his budget update last month.

Douglas Central MHK Chris Thomas had asked for information in Tynwald written questions about how the group will operate, with some answers provided by the government today (18 Aug).

The ERG is tasked with assessing the impact of coronavirus on the Manx economy now and in the future, and must report its decision to the Council of Ministers.

Projects it’s approved so far include bringing forward the ‘Locate Isle of Man Strategy’, improving broadband, and a summer internship scheme.

Government has promised more details about the body will be published soon on a new web page which will explain its terms of reference and progress reports.

Granted there are many infrastructure projects taking place - poor Peel turn to be screwed by Manx Utilities who are planning to dig up East Quay to lay pipes, it’s reckoned to take six months, It will take a year and any businesses and restaurants may as well close down. 

Having another talking shop will not solve any problems, especially when we embark on projects, and we can’t get the work done to time or on or under budget. One successful thing we can do is to piss every business or residents off with our rules and regulations and petty diktats. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Government is holding off on providing more details about the team tasked with kick-starting the Manx economy in the wake of COVID-19.

FB6B6B20-2071-46A3-BE28-7CD781D43A43.jpeg

The secretive members of SPHINCTER Treasury’s - Special Purpose Holistic Island Nurturing Committee Tasked with Emergency Recovery 

Edited by Southfork
  • Haha 5

I suspect it might be more like the Father Ted episode where they are trying to rescue Dougal off the milk float?

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I know of some names that have been appointed and they're what it coin the 'usual suspects'. So it is destined for failure.

What the ERG needs is new faces, new blood and new opinions on how we pave a way forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Please don't use the phrase "pave a way forward" I have a bad feeling it will involve much paving and the covering of green fields with the aforementioned paving !

I bet a local developer is salivating as we speak !

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One of the solutions to high unemployment may or may not involve transferring as many as they can on to incapacity and creating ZHCs within Govt depts...but I might be wrong too.....

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

One of the solutions to high unemployment may or may not involve transferring as many as they can on to incapacity and creating ZHCs within Govt depts...but I might be wrong too.....

Some form of universal basic income might have to be considered by us and other governments going forward. Whether that’s creating a specific UBI layer of social security support or just paying a load of people to twat about in government non-jobs on £20k a year until they ultimately get so bored that they’ll do just about anything else instead. But it may well have to be an option. Unemployed and skint people get very angry and very restless very quickly and politically they will get very hard to suppress if this rolls out as it’s looking. 

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Please don't use the phrase "pave a way forward" I have a bad feeling it will involve much paving and the covering of green fields with the aforementioned paving !

I bet a local developer is salivating as we speak !

And Chinese paving at that! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This Economic Recovery Group is obviously not need if they resently gave out 445 work permits.

In March, April 2020 they gave out 134 work permits, while most of us were being kept in lockdown.

Edited by Holte End

I'll await the "more details about the body will be published soon" with interest, but what I'd like to see is more information about long term objectives.  For example, Mr Cannan said we need to "enable growth" and "We will invest in our economy, seeking and developing opportunities for our local businesses to grow and develop."

https://www.gov.im/news/2020/jul/21/budget-update-2020-100m-economic-recovery-fund-to-enable-isle-of-mans-fightback-from-coronavirus-pandemic/

That sounds good, but how much growth are we talking about?  Growth forever, or just up to a certain point?  Does this mean we also need to grow the island's population, and again, forever or just up to a certain number?  Or as some businesses grow (eg high tech) does that mean that other businesses will be allowed to decline so that the population and the economy remain stable?  Of course, I don't suppose any of those questions will be answered because politicians generally prefer to talk about vague aspirations rather than hard numbers. 

Probably the same sort of predictions and declarations about IoM growth that Eddie Teare used to utter.

Outstripping the rest of the Western Hemisphere at 6%+ annually.

• Like 2

I'm sure they'll need a Economic Recovery Group setting up in a couple of years to help with the failings of the proposed Economic Recovery Group.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I know of some names that have been appointed and they're what it coin the 'usual suspects'. So it is destined for failure.

What the ERG needs is new faces, new blood and new opinions on how we pave a way forward.

Who’s on it then?

15 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Who’s on it then?

it's a mixture of Gov and private sector as I understand. So representatives from each of the DfE agencies, some MLC's, treasury and then you have the likes of Carol Glover, Rebecca George from our useless chamber - literally nobody I would trust to provide any insight or opinion in to how things should be done going forward here.

19 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

it's a mixture of Gov and private sector as I understand. So representatives from each of the DfE agencies, some MLC's, treasury and then you have the likes of Carol Glover, Rebecca George from our useless chamber - literally nobody I would trust to provide any insight or opinion in to how things should be done going forward here.

What did the selection process look like?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1