Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Economic Recovery Group

Landowners, property developers, & the Chamber of Commerce - they may have the ear of the group?

Being a product of this conservative government It's highly unlikey that they'll be aiming to create a 'social economy canvas' to reset enterprise on the island following the paralysis brought about by the awful pandemic https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/fpfis/wikis/display/SEC/Social+Economy+Canvas

5 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

- he isn't going to be popular

You don’t live in Peel then? 

I might

He's already not popular with me for voting Quayle in

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

That’s a good one Derek. Help who? Cycle 360, sell some bikes, coffees n sticky buns? Perhaps I am a bit cynical?  They could have held it at the Manx Museum lecture theatre, or the Peel Centenary Theatre or the Erin Arts Centre. Or maybe at DJ Cretney’s Palace?

The real cynicism in me is thinking, why do these clowns need public input or ‘big ideas?’ It’s screaming out that these clowns are not on top of their brief’s, have no ideas and have virtually given up. Mind you with the leadership of Skelly and Callister, it’s hardly inspiring.

• Like 1

They've had this sort of thing before

Highly unlikely they'll take any notice at all of anything any member of the public suggests

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Slightly of topic but I remember Government harping on about how do we encourage some of our top graduates/ university young to return to work here?

well it’s quite simple stop giving jobs via the old boy/ girls network/club.

I know of one returnee with excellent qualifications whose had interviews, the last being once again overlooked for someone whose just retired from government.

Needless to say this individual has now secured a good position back in the uk our loss am sure this must be happening all the time?

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Slightly of topic but I remember Government harping on about how do we encourage some of our top graduates/ university young to return to work here?

I know of one returnee with excellent qualifications whose had interviews, the last being once again overlooked for someone whose just retired from government.

Needless to say this individual has now secured a good position back in the uk our loss am sure this must be happening all the time?

But they have to be sure you will toe the line and not try and rock the boat or was that bloat !! If you are young and bright I guess you are a threat !!

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Unless I'm much mistaken, there's already been a certain amount of job creation within IoMG for returning graduates.

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Off island experience is the best thing they can get

Return when the want to have a family and/or escape the rat race

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

It’s an interesting one, and I’m a bit torn on this. I took a second job within Government for a short time on top of my Police pension. I was acutely aware of really needing to offer real value for money, and I was of the opinion that at the time, the position wasn’t really doing that.  Another opportunity came up and I left. I recall coming in for a fair amount of stick on here at the time for ‘double dipping’. 

There’s a couple of positions currently advertised I quite like the look of, but with increasing numbers being unemployed, it doesn’t sit well ethically with me. We know lots of people are re-employed by Government, but times have changed. At least for the meantime, unless there are specific skills that can’t otherwise be replicated, perhaps priority should go to those currently without income?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I don’t really have a problem with what some call double dipping if the candidate is heads and tails above everyone else but quite often that’s not really the case.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I don’t really have a problem with what some call double dipping if the candidate is heads and tails above everyone else but quite often that’s not really the case.

Totally agree and the job they do has to be worthwhile, doing some non job as lots seem to be paid for doing really pisses me off.

As for Derek, with the way things are going in his hometown he could do with coming back as an old school Sweeney type copper and be kept hungry :-)

ETA Needs to dich the Disco and get a  2.8lt 4 door Cortina with leather look roof for the full effect

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Well, I heard today of a graduate child of two senior civil servants walking into a very well paid job with great prospects. I'm sure they are at least adequate for the role but I'm also sure that there were others who would have fitted the position perfectly. I hate nepotism with a passion but I won't give any clues as to whose child it is, that would really send up the rocket!   

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s an interesting one, and I’m a bit torn on this. I took a second job within Government for a short time on top of my Police pension. I was acutely aware of really needing to offer real value for money, and I was of the opinion that at the time, the position wasn’t really doing that.  Another opportunity came up and I left. I recall coming in for a fair amount of stick on here at the time for ‘double dipping’. 

There’s a couple of positions currently advertised I quite like the look of, but with increasing numbers being unemployed, it doesn’t sit well ethically with me. We know lots of people are re-employed by Government, but times have changed. At least for the meantime, unless there are specific skills that can’t otherwise be replicated, perhaps priority should go to those currently without income?

You may well be redeeming yourself ( I know that sounds daft to most, but ) if you are not applying for roles through ethics. Maybe more should do the same. Like you, I know of many on big pensions who have taken other positions in Government, which I personally think is wrong, more-so now.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1