Economic Recovery Group

36 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You may well be redeeming yourself ( I know that sounds daft to most, but ) if you are not applying for roles through ethics. Maybe more should do the same. Like you, I know of many on big pensions who have taken other positions in Government, which I personally think is wrong, more-so now.

It really is the timing. I don’t begrudge anyone a meaningful second career, but we really do need to get these people back into work soon.

• Like 2
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect it might be more like the Father Ted episode where they are trying to rescue Dougal off the milk float?

It’s an interesting one, and I’m a bit torn on this. I took a second job within Government for a short time on top of my Police pension. I was acutely aware of really needing to offer real value for m

Just one - Don't make waves - I thank you

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Well, I heard today of a graduate child of two senior civil servants walking into a very well paid job with great prospects. I'm sure they are at least adequate for the role but I'm also sure that there were others who would have fitted the position perfectly. I hate nepotism with a passion but I won't give any clues as to whose child it is, that would really send up the rocket!   

The offspring of other 'insiders' such as MHKs as well - a good way of stifling criticism.  And if nothing suitable is available, often a temporary job created, from which an 'internal only' move can be arranged. 

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

This place is increasingly rotten.

T'was always thus. Nothing has really changed since I moved to the Island just over 37 years ago. There was nepotism then, there's nepotism today.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The offspring of other 'insiders' such as MHKs as well - a good way of stifling criticism.  And if nothing suitable is available, often a temporary job created, from which an 'internal only' move can be arranged. 

A widespread belief, but I have serious doubts about it. There are many checks and balances involved. When it gets to a high level though, that doesn't matter and friends and family are most welcome, especially from off island.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

T'was always thus. Nothing has really changed since I moved to the Island just over 37 years ago. There was nepotism then, there's nepotism today.

I think it's been getting worse the last 20. The whole shebang of corruption (strong word, I know) and incompetence. It's at a level now that's never been seen before. DOI, DEFA, the whole lot. A massive injection of morals needed to replace what's been forgotten.

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's at a level now that's never been seen before. DOI, DEFA, the whole lot. A massive injection of morals needed to replace what's been forgotten.

Don't forget the DHSC. Very surprised that some people have kept their jobs too be honest after recent events. Everyone knows about it, even MLCs, but no-one will confront it.  Fair policies, rules, ethics and professionalism seem to be able to be circumvented when senior posts available. You know who I mean there.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Apple said:

Don't forget the DHSC. Very surprised that some people have kept their jobs too be honest after recent events. Everyone knows about it, even MLCs, but no-one will confront it.  Fair policies, rules, ethics and professionalism seem to be able to be circumvented when senior posts available. You know who I mean there.....

"even MLCs" - are they a strange, separate population who get things really slowly?

OK, come to think of it...

I was made aware in a conversation with an MLC they knew all about someone who had 'insisted' on the appointment of a relative. Clearly they felt unable to report it or do anything about it. They and MHK's seem to be slow, or reluctant to challenge decisions that go against the spirit and the letter of Departmental policies. 

• Like 1

Largely because the MHKs and the MLCs aren't running the shop.

The entire show is being run by the unelected for their own benefit. And has been increasingly so for a good two decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Largely because the MHKs and the MLCs aren't running the shop.

The entire show is being run by the unelected for their own benefit. And has been increasingly so for a good two decades.

I agree we’ve actually had some good politicians this time round and it’s not made any real difference as none of them, including the COMIN members, are actually at the helm of anything. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
51 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree we’ve actually had some good politicians this time round and it’s not made any real difference as none of them, including the COMIN members, are actually at the helm of anything. 

Nail on head

On 8/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Highly unlikely they'll take any notice at all of anything any member of the public suggests

It's worth holding an event like this because there is the possibility that someone might have the nucleus of a really good idea. So it's a super positive and worthwhile thing to do.

But, most likely, monkey tennis.

Edited by pongo