I asked someone if they were ok today, being genuine. They asked if I had gone mad. The thing is, as I mentioned in the “mental health care is shit” thread, I am not equipped to deal with the level of mental health care the suicidal person I know requires, yes it’s nice to ask if folk are alright but when people star to tell you about abuse and suffering what are you supposed to do? And then there’s the memory you’re left with, I didn’t really want to know all that “heavy stuff” but now I do and it won’t go away. 
If anyone wants to sound off, please feel free to DM me, I will do my best to cheer you up :)

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's really quite an achievement to take something that should be uncontroversial and praiseworthy and turn it into something quite so annoying and useless.  It starts with a newspaper article about a

IOM's mental health disservice will pass you to drug and alcohol and they'll just ignore you - why not get friends to help each other? I was cynical to begin with but there will be a lot of people suf

The person lacking (historical) perspective is you.  There were enormous mental health crises after both World Wars - where do you think all the people who filled those enormous mental asylums came fr

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I asked someone if they were ok today, being genuine. They asked if I had gone mad. The thing is, as I mentioned in the “mental health care is shit” thread, I am not equipped to deal with the level of mental health care the suicidal person I know requires, yes it’s nice to ask if folk are alright but when people star to tell you about abuse and suffering what are you supposed to do? And then there’s the memory you’re left with, I didn’t really want to know all that “heavy stuff” but now I do and it won’t go away. 
If anyone wants to sound off, please feel free to DM me, I will do my best to cheer you up :)

Thats a lovely offer to reach out like that . And yes I get your concern totally . 

4 hours ago, 2bees said:

when people star to tell you about abuse and suffering what are you supposed to do? And then there’s the memory you’re left with, I didn’t really want to know all that “heavy stuff” but now I do and it won’t go away

Training and ongoing support is essential for people engaged in these activities to foster and maintain resilience for what may be encountered. 

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I am not equipped to deal with the level of mental health care the suicidal person I know requires,

People expressing ideas to harm themselves to this extent require easy access to a professional health service able to intervene as soon as possible. Usually this can include a formal Risk Assessment  process by a quasllified practitioner that may signpost the level and immediacy of intervention required. An agreed and written Care Plan outlining those activities can be created so that planned steps can be taken to support individuals if they experience problems.

You haven’t read the “mental health care is shit” thread. I know too many ‘already dead‘ people and at least one ‘at risk of fatal self harm’ person, they’ve all been involved with D&A/mental health. It seems some people are dealt really poor hands in life and there isn’t much anyone can do to fix them. 

I have read and contributed to that thread and have agreed that more needs to be done to change things. We have only scratched the surface on what the issues facing us are Manx Care and integrated services will not fix them.

I would suggest that anyone experiencing the difficulties being referred to drop in to see Graham Clucas or his colleagues in Quing any day of the week Monday till Friday in the old St Thomas school Douglas near Chester Street car park. He apparently is trying to develop and community of mutual support and from what I hear it is doing really well. It has no contact or funding from government, which is a shame and a blessing rolled into one. 

I agree - people are often dealt poor hands but I believe with the right support and knowledge there is an opportunity to greatly improve lives and relationships. Mental Illness and it's impact needs to be at the top of the agenda - for too long it has been seen as a Cinderella service. It isn't all about Nobles anymore.