Brother, can you spare a dime

Shake me up Judy

I see the Church are holding out the collection plate again for a taxpayer bail-out.

When they had the wealth, power and influence, they did nothing with it for the ordinary man and woman. All they offered was cold consolation on a Sunday. You can't eat a hymn-book.

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The begging never stops, the Vicar even begged for funds a couple of years ago in Onchan at the Remembrance service, a lot of people were disgusted.    A few years ago they changed the collection pouches to open plate collection so people would be shamed to give more even if they could not afford it.   The only religion who give and give are the Salvation Army I do not think people realise how much they give and care.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The begging never stops, the Vicar even begged for funds a couple of years ago in Onchan at the Remembrance service, a lot of people were disgusted.    A few years ago they changed the collection pouches to open plate collection so people would be shamed to give more even if they could not afford it.   The only religion who give and give are the Salvation Army I do not think people realise how much they give and care.

Most regular church-goers pay by SO or make a monthly donation by bank transfer. Most plates are not passed round. Things have moved on Sid.

I've attended most Remembrance Day services both at the Village Cenotaph and St Peters' for many years and don't recall any vicar begging for funds. 

And you're 100% wrong on the giving and caring issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The only religion who give and give are the Salvation Army I do not think people realise how much they give and care.

I can’t imagine you’re a member of the Sally Army. They don’t encourage drinking and you sound more like a member of the ill-temperance league than the temperance league.  

• Sad 1

I was there and I do not lie and have attended all the remembrance services and this happened  perhaps it was at one you missed and you cannot be a member of the congregation or you would know plates are most certainly passed around at every service, obviously you are not a churchgoer just someone who knows a lot about very little.  I am not a member of the Sally Army but that does not stop me admiring them.   Friends of mine are members and the stuff they do quietly to help people is amazing.  Try stating facts instead of myths.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I was there and I do not lie and have attended all the remembrance services and this happened  perhaps it was at one you missed and you cannot be a member of the congregation or you would know plates are most certainly passed around at every service, obviously you are not a churchgoer just someone who knows a lot about very little.  I am not a member of the Sally Army but that does not stop me admiring them.   Friends of mine are members and the stuff they do quietly to help people is amazing.  Try stating facts instead of myths.

It's amazing how ignorant you are in some matters, Sid. I don't mean that nastily but you are way off the mark about what goes on in St Peters week-in-week-out. If you only attend for civic service types events then your knowledge of what goes on at other times is zero.

19 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:
23 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The only religion who give and give are the Salvation Army I do not think people realise how much they give and care.

I can’t imagine you’re a member of the Sally Army. They don’t encourage drinking and you sound more like a member of the ill-temperance league than the temperance league.  

Whether that's true about Sid or not, he's right that the Salvation Army do do a lot of good helping out those in poverty or distress in a lot a ways.  It's not something they go on about a lot and it's the sort of thing that you only come across almost by accident if you're an outsider, but there is a lot of help they do provide. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Whether that's true about Sid or not, he's right that the Salvation Army do do a lot of good helping out those in poverty or distress in a lot a ways.  It's not something they go on about a lot and it's the sort of thing that you only come across almost by accident if you're an outsider, but there is a lot of help they do provide. 

As do others' Roger.

• Sad 1

I do not know how you get the impression that I only go to church on Remembrance Sunday I actually go every week.   I know exactly what goes on and if you set foot in the place once in a while you may learn,  some people do use standing orders to give but the majority, around 70% still use the plate to give.   Your gross ignorance of something you claim to know all about is pathetic.

8 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I do not know how you get the impression that I only go to church on Remembrance Sunday I actually go every week.   I know exactly what goes on and if you set foot in the place once in a while you may learn,  some people do use standing orders to give but the majority, around 70% still use the plate to give.   Your gross ignorance of something you claim to know all about is pathetic.

I'll see you Sunday morning then. Don't be late.

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, Roger Mexico said:

the Salvation Army do do a lot of good helping out those in poverty or distress in a lot a ways.  It's not something they go on about a lot and it's the sort of thing that you only come across almost by accident if you're an outsider, but there is a lot of help they do provide. 

I was raised in the Sally Army and my Mum used to work in one of their care homes in UK after her retirement from nursing. The work they did in those days was fantastic - seeking out the drunks and drug addled poor to give them food and shelter. I had many a good and cold Christmas on the streets playing in the band.

Unique and immensely satisfying experience being in the Salvation Army. (note, may apply to other religions as well!)

• Like 3