In my experience (of a total of one prang) the guy offered to pay until he found out how much it was going to be, then it went through insurance. It was far easier once I’d phoned my own insurer as they pretty much sorted everything with no excess for me to pay and no effect on my NCD. I’d recommend Sentience contacts his insurer.

• Like 3
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would go to the Police straight away, when he didn’t show. You let him off and he’s broken your trust.

It's like an episode of miss Marple directed by Quentin Tarantino.

I'd go for the Facebook factor rather than MF. Isle of Man advice, help & local events?   ETA: But aye, stuff that, they've had their chance, just get in touch with the police.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, wrighty said:

In my experience (of a total of one prang) the guy offered to pay until he found out how much it was going to be, then it went through insurance. It was far easier once I’d phoned my own insurer as they pretty much sorted everything with no excess for me to pay and no effect on my NCD. I’d recommend Sentience contacts his insurer.

Last year a 22-ton lorry reversed into my parked Focus and then drove off. This is where the cctv paid us back. Sent the footage to the haulage company who asked for a quote. On getting the quote they opted for the insurance route.

This year my policy went up because I had been involved in an accident while sitting in the kitchen with a cup of tea reading my newspaper.

Not happy but that's the way they all work...

13 hours ago, Kopek said:

......and when it happens to one of 'your' kids? What? Hang him?

Our kids were brought up to be honest and would do the right thing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That may well be the point but in my experience the person who offers to get it fixed ain’t insured. Legal requirement is to swap insurance details. 

Actually if you look at the stuff I quoted before, it isn't.  At the accident, you are obliged to give (if asked) name and address of the driver and owner and the id (ie reg no) of the vehicle, but nothing else.  Obviously once you've got the contact details you can ask for other stuff later. 

• Like 1

Someone crashed into me and it was sorted out by his insurance but I did declare it to my insurers with details, it was included in writing on renewal but noted that other driver had admitted fault and his insurance had paid.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

What is "sort of illegal" about sorting it out privately. Personally I hate paperwork and always avoid it if possible.

SoS meant not having insurance I think.  Road Traffic Act 1985 Schedule 5, Part 1 para 1
"Subject to the provisions of this Schedule, it shall not be lawful for a person to use, or to cause or permit any other person to use, a motor vehicle on a road or other public place unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person or that other person, as the case may be, such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third-party risks as complies with the requirements of this Schedule; and if a person acts in contravention of this paragraph he shall be guilty of an offence."

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Well it’s a very lucrative business, the insurance company will be missing out on charging Sentience and the young driver additional premiums for the next 5 years and the crash repair business will be missing out on the opportunity to quote a rather inflated repair fee. So it’s ‘sort of illegal’ in the sense you’ve defrauded the insurance company of an opportunity to make money from your incident/accident.

and you're defrauding an undertaker cos you're still breathing.

• Haha 4
10 hours ago, WTF said:

and you're defrauding an undertaker cos you're still breathing.

I’m not sure whether I’m more insulted or impressed, but brilliant use of wit and I couldn’t help but laugh.

13 hours ago, wrighty said:

The young lad is lucky Sentience isn’t demanding a hire/courtesy car until it’s fixed, that’s how even the simplest of bills can sky rocket.