Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Southfork

Being a chav now a criminal offense in IOM?

Whenever I see a case like this get to court I always think that there must have been either multiple prior incidents that had been dealt with by having a word or the event in question was so over the top and continued past attempts at intervention that this was the last resort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being a chav isnt a criminal offence.

Swearing and shouting at someone in a busy street is though.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Some of the language and mannerisms displayed in Strand Street etc are appalling. We need to start doing more of this, if only there were Bobbies on the beat!    

Mind you, some of the shops in our wonderful town centre are clearly an attraction for these people, particularly the further along Castle Street you walk. It's like a grimy northern town...oh hang on!

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Some of the language and mannerisms displayed in Strand Street etc are appalling. We need to start doing more of this, if only there were Bobbies on the beat!    

Sounds like some kind of dystopian future scenario

Perhaps you'd like to follow Iran in creating a "Morality Police Force" they seem to be pretty forward thinking and reasonable chaps with regards to democracy and human rights

• Haha 1

I saw a tweet from the police earlier saying they had arrested a few drunk people last night to save them from getting arrested for more serious crimes later on.

It would seem pre crime is here. Now where is my minority report dammit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Perhaps you'd like to follow Iran in creating a "Morality Police Force" they seem to be pretty forward thinking and reasonable chaps with regards to democracy and human rights

Not really, I'm only talking about common courtesy and manners. Douglas seems to be one of the worst places I've ever experienced anywhere for rude language and behaviour, and during the daytime too.  

Just now, Max Power said:

Not really, I'm only talking about common courtesy and manners. Douglas seems to be one of the worst places I've ever experienced anywhere for rude language and behaviour, and during the daytime too.  

I have experienced much worse language and manners in nearly every country I have been to. Some of that may be cultural difference.

However, a world where police patrol the streets and dish out criminal records for swearing is one of the most oppressive ideas I have come across

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Agree sounds rather like Saudi’s Religious Police to me arresting a lady for unladylike behaviour! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I have experienced much worse language and manners in nearly every country I have been to. Some of that may be cultural difference.

However, a world where police patrol the streets and dish out criminal records for swearing is one of the most oppressive ideas I have come across

You make it sound as though it's only swearing that I'm talking about? I mean the loud shouting of profanities by those who seem to spend their days in the pub. If it were simply swearing, I'd have a record as long as your arm. I think you'll find that there is probably some by-law being breached anyway. It's not a very good environment for kids or anyone for that matter.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

The possibility of being prosecuted for swearing has always been there, it's not new legislation and would probably have been enforced more rigorously in the past.  Even by the report in the paper she seems to have been harassing this guy and his children, and as you said above there's clearly a backstory - maybe about contact with the mother. 

But she was actually done for threatening behaviour, which seems to sum up her conduct pretty well - the swearing was just an aggravating factor.  And she got off comparatively lightly with a fine - more a warning not to behave like that again. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

You make it sound as though it's only swearing that I'm talking about? I mean the loud shouting of profanities by those who seem to spend their days in the pub. If it were simply swearing, I'd have a record as long as your arm. I think you'll find that there is probably some by-law being breached anyway. It's not a very good environment for kids or anyone for that matter.

well..... when refuting the suggestion that it's only swearing you're on about, you followed it up with a second example of "swearing but louder"

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

The possibility of being prosecuted for swearing has always been there, it's not new legislation and would probably have been enforced more rigorously in the past.  Even by the report in the paper she seems to have been harassing this guy and his children, and as you said above there's clearly a backstory - maybe about contact with the mother. 

But she was actually done for threatening behaviour, which seems to sum up her conduct pretty well - the swearing was just an aggravating factor.  And she got off comparatively lightly with a fine - more a warning not to behave like that again. 

the comment you've quoted there was in specific response to Max Power's suggestion that more police should patrol the streets and repeat the action taken against this person more often with others so whilst I agree with your post it's not really fair to apply all those reasonable points against my response to a specific post