Scooters' are they allowed on the road

Sat at St Ninnians traffic lights this afternoon (before ride-out) and heading towards me from St Mary's school looked like some one with there head out of a car sunroof. But low and behold it was some one on a stand up scooter. Not entirely sure if it was electric but if it was petrol the motor must of been tiny. The two main things I did notice as it was tailgating the car ahead at about 25/30 mph.

If the said car decided to emergency stop I doubt the single cable operated 3.5" front wheel disc brakes chances of preventing a sudden and violent stop as it proceeded into the rear of the vehicle.

The second was if it was electric are they not supposed to have a top speed of about 17 kph. Would be interested to know as thought this was still at the discussion stage about the legality of them being on the road.

11 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Sat at St Ninnians traffic lights this afternoon (before ride-out) and heading towards me from St Mary's school looked like some one with there head out of a car sunroof. But low and behold it was some one on a stand up scooter. Not entirely sure if it was electric but if it was petrol the motor must of been tiny. The two main things I did notice as it was tailgating the car ahead at about 25/30 mph.

If the said car decided to emergency stop I doubt the single cable operated 3.5" front wheel disc brakes chances of preventing a sudden and violent stop as it proceeded into the rear of the vehicle.

The second was if it was electric are they not supposed to have a top speed of about 17 kph. Would be interested to know as thought this was still at the discussion stage about the legality of them being on the road.

The rider is a prick, you cant ride them on the road and going that speed will only draw the attention of the Police.

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

in order to not require a licence to ride them the top speed has to be 15mph (15.6mph to be more precise I think)

as far as I know the DOI have not issued guidance on whether the ones that meet that first criteria can be ridden on the road or not yet

equally mobility scooters also can't be ridden on the road and.... well..... sometimes they are

I was under the impression that the petrol-powered ones are definitely illegal on the public highway. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

There is a trial in place in the UK for hired ones. Otherwise, here and in the Uk they remain illegal

Really stupid, we don't have an mot and any knob can buy a range rover or some other killing machine,to drive and pollute walkable distances, , that should be iillegal, electric scooters should be part of the mix., and driving a range rover less than two miles to work should be a criminal offence, not singling out Claire Christian but for fucks sake electioneering half a mile from your house in a range rover is so fucking offensive and lazy.

W-G-MM I take it you've bought into the zero carbon footprint by 2050 that will not make one iota to the world. When a Chinese town of approx 100,000 makes it to this ideal then the isle of man should strive to this match it. Until then save the money them there buffoons are squandering on a pipe dream that will drag us cap in hand to England with a begging bowl because we will be bankrupt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

W-G-MM I take it you've bought into the zero carbon footprint by 2050 that will not make one iota to the world. When a Chinese town of approx 100,000 makes it to this ideal then the isle of man should strive to this match it. Until then save the money them there buffoons are squandering on a pipe dream that will drag us cap in hand to England with a begging bowl because we will be bankrupt.

You are drawing a lot of conclusions and going a bit bat shot crazy. Cars pollute, they make the air unpleasant and filled with cheminals, forget china, taste the air in douglas at 8.30 in the morning that shit did not come from china it was from  lazy people driving oversized killing machines which are wholly impractical for our roads.The profilgate spending on this stupiidity is what will bankrupt this place. If you can walk you should,, too many people like  Claire Christian act like they are disabled, can she not walk half a mile on a pleasant evening going door to door, why should we all breate in that filtth beacuse they are just idle.

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There is a trial in place in the UK for hired ones. Otherwise, here and in the Uk they remain illegal

And so they should be. Fucking mental letting these things loose.

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

And so they should be. Fucking mental letting these things loose.

we should all have roller skates,  you can get up to similar speeds without a motor and exercise at the same time.

21 hours ago, worlds-greatest-manxman said:

taste the air in douglas at 8.30 in the morning that shit did not come from china it was from  lazy people driving oversized killing machines which are wholly impractical for our roads

Too right. Smell of exhaust fumes on Prospect Hill is overwhelming. You can almost taste the carbon. emissions. Not good for children or those with breathing problems.

14 hours ago, Apple said:

Too right. Smell of exhaust fumes on Prospect Hill is overwhelming. You can almost taste the carbon. emissions. Not good for children or those with breathing problems.

The drivers of the vehicles should at least add a bit of Castrol R for flavour and aroma.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I find it very annoying. You can go out and buy an electric bicycle that with minor modifications will do more than 30 mph. You need no CBT, no helmet, no insurance, no tax, no age limit. If you want a moped, which are basically limited to 30mph, you need  all of those things. But you need them for a reason. They are potentially dangerous! 

• Like 1