Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Longworth in cunning life saving plan

Well, you either love him or loathe him - but Mr Ian "don't give a fuck what anyone thinks" Longworth has done it again. This time it seems he is helping preserve lives of our StayCation/Guermsey visitors by refusing to accept a £9k cash bailout from the local Mountain Railway supporters citing the reason as it wasn't a "formal offer" - in doing so preventing any runaway carriages managing to come hurtling down the side of Snaefell -or, is it maybe that him and the group of generous anoraks are at loggerheads and this is his way of just brushing them to one side? 

Let's face it, with the Horse Trams being confined to the stables all summer and the fuss he makes over them, you think he'd be biting these folks hands off, wouldn't you?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/offer-to-pay-for-snaefell-mountain-railway-wasnt-formal/

It is  not about the money.It is about control and decision making 

Where many people might see  the offer as  generous and helpful, for those in a position of authority it will not be welcomed.

Seen as a nuisance, it will be resented, viewed  as undermining to their decision making and a threat to their control and authority.They will want it to just go away.To  be to ignored.

If pressed further, the response will to belittle it and provide a patronising ,”Now children, I am very busy but because  you’re being a bit silly, I am going make this simple so  you can understand..” explanation.

• Like 3

It’s also about the offer being a publicity stunt by SMRSA. £9000 was never going to cover operating losses for a month on SMR. 

If it wasn’t a formal offer then Longworth should have replied, either, saying we require this for your offer to be considered or the losses of running for the rest of 2021 season are so huge that £9k makes no difference and we aren’t running anyway. It’s the latter, but he won’t/can’t admit that.

The whole public and heritage transport expenditure is so out of control however, and he does appear to want to have his own way. We no longer have the income, and we’ve other competing expenditure claims. Something has got to give.

We now need

10 year moratorium on new buses and mini buses

Fares review. Do we go free, or flat fares, or introduce sky high parking charges in Douglas to move people onto public transport?

A review of vintage transport. I’d favour the government keeping and maintaining track and infrastructure and running peak hours modern diesel electric or battery commuter trains/trams from Castletown and Ramsey and the whole of the historic rolling stock handing over to a voluntary body, with an initial annual grant, to run limited special services bank holidays and weekends. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s also about the offer being a publicity stunt by SMRSA. £9000 was never going to cover operating losses for a month on SMR. 

If it wasn’t a formal offer then Longworth should have replied, either, saying we require this for your offer to be considered or the losses of running for the rest of 2021 season are so huge that £9k makes no difference and we aren’t running anyway. It’s the latter, but he won’t/can’t admit that.

The whole public and heritage transport expenditure is so out of control however, and he does appear to want to have his own way. We no longer have the income, and we’ve other competing expenditure claims. Something has got to give.

We now need

10 year moratorium on new buses and mini buses

Fares review. Do we go free, or flat fares, or introduce sky high parking charges in Douglas to move people onto public transport?

A review of vintage transport. I’d favour the government keeping and maintaining track and infrastructure and running peak hours modern diesel electric or battery commuter trains/trams from Castletown and Ramsey and the whole of the historic rolling stock handing over to a voluntary body, with an initial annual grant, to run limited special services bank holidays and weekends. 

I’ve never met IL, but a good number of people I’ve spoken to within the public service are completely at a loss as to how much power and influence he has. I wouldn’t hold your breath for an early cut as described above, however sensible and indeed necessary it is.

• Like 1

IIRC (and I've posted this before), one of the justifications of the refurbishment of the Pt Erin to Douglas line sections was to allow light commuter trains to run? (and not the one that gets in at 11am or whatever it is). Or would that interfere with IL's world of heritage rail?

It seems to me that the whole public transport system on the Island needs a review. Not just endless money throwing at it on one man's whim. We currently have millions of pounds worth of buses running around largely empty for long periods, school carparks full of expensive minibuses (there were at least 4 in the RGS carpark over the weekend), and heritage rail that can't even accept generous donations towards a few days' running costs.

We seem to have got into a spiral of having to keep spending money in order to justify things, presumably in the hope that one day it'll turn around and start making money. It's lost sight of why it exists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It'll surely come under review with implementation of the Curran Report :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

IIRC (and I've posted this before), one of the justifications of the refurbishment of the Pt Erin to Douglas line sections was to allow light commuter trains to run? (and not the one that gets in at 11am or whatever it is). Or would that interfere with IL's world of heritage rail?

It seems to me that the whole public transport system on the Island needs a review. Not just endless money throwing at it on one man's whim. We currently have millions of pounds worth of buses running around largely empty for long periods, school carparks full of expensive minibuses (there were at least 4 in the RGS carpark over the weekend), and heritage rail that can't even accept generous donations towards a few days' running costs.

We seem to have got into a spiral of having to keep spending money in order to justify things, presumably in the hope that one day it'll turn around and start making money. It's lost sight of why it exists.

Four at RGS?

There’s another 6 round the back of the Cottage Hospital!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Four at RGS?

There’s another 6 round the back of the Cottage Hospital!

Is it because there are quite a few patients and staff being bussed back and forth between RCH and Nobles?

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is it because there are quite a few patients and staff being bussed back and forth between RCH and Nobles?

No...it's because there's a total surfeit of the things with no justification other than trying to make inroads into a non-existent taxi trade. A politician needs to ask why did we buy so many. And not be fobbed off with some weasel word answer. The four in RGS never moved between Friday morning and Monday afternoon. Even for patient transfers, do they need 6 parked up "on stand-by" at the Cottage? Does any other organisation run like this?

I've just seen the No3 service leaving Ramsey bus station for Douglas. A double-decker with 2 people on the lower deck. Maybe it'll pick up more before it gets to Douglas but how do they justify that vehicle and its costs and fuel with those passenger numbers? Information must be available from ticket sales. This needs to be part of any review.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No...it's because there's a total surfeit of the things with no justification other than trying to make inroads into a non-existent taxi trade. A politician needs to ask why did we buy so many. And not be fobbed off with some weasel word answer. The four in RGS never moved between Friday morning and Monday afternoon. Even for patient transfers, do they need 6 parked up "on stand-by" at the Cottage? Does any other organisation run like this?

I've just seen the No3 service leaving Ramsey bus station for Douglas. A double-decker with 2 people on the lower deck. Maybe it'll pick up more before it gets to Douglas but how do they justify that vehicle and its costs and fuel with those passenger numbers? Information must be available from ticket sales. This needs to be part of any review.

Ticket sale numbers will be massaged. DOI has history on meaningless stats. To get meaningful numbers IOMG will have to fly in independent auditors to sift through them all.

Any review should also include how and at what cost inter-departmental charging arrangements are being made. I've heard of unrealistic (below market rate) charging for patient transfer services.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Ticket sale numbers will be massaged. DOI has history on meaningless stats. To get meaningful numbers IOMG will have to fly in independent auditors to sift through them all.

Any review should also include how and at what cost inter-departmental charging arrangements are being made. I've heard of unrealistic (below market rate) charging for patient transfer services.

What is a market rate for patient transfer?

10 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Ask the Red Cross...

Never understood why our Gov were paying such huge amounts to a charity in the first place

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Never understood why our Gov were paying such huge amounts to a charity in the first place

BV numbers are false economics.