• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO Watterson is the epitome of everything that is wrong with Tynwald. It's not just the demeaning of his post and that of his colleagues with that disgraceful episode on the bus. But it does gi

Scrap the president post it’s just for people who believe they are very important ( when most of the general public don’t give a s%%t about this ceremonial nonsense fancy dress gig)  or make it a part

It's an expensive (to us) role, it's not democratically elected, It serves little obvious constitutional purpose, the holders tend to enjoy dressing up and gadding off around the world to pontificate

Posted Images

Scrap the president post it’s just for people who believe they are very important ( when most of the general public don’t give a s%%t about this ceremonial nonsense fancy dress gig)  or make it a part time £25k salary max. It’s just a cop out if standing politicos rush for that gravy train carriage.

• Like 11
45 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I thought he preferred a puke stained bus to a gravy train.

This from the Isle of Man Examiner last week, £250 fine for drunk and incapable. There was another report on the same page but it wasn't on a bus.

1147299793_20200901IMEp07drunkonbus03.jpg.ec322caa107cf0b2bae26f49d4f9f58e.jpg

29 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Scrap the president post it’s just for people who believe they are very important ( when most of the general public don’t give a s%%t about this ceremonial nonsense fancy dress gig)  or make it a part time £25k salary max. It’s just a cop out if standing politicos rush for that gravy train carriage.

Really the title of President of Tynwald should be an honourary one going to the longest serving popularly elected member

Quite why we need two presiding officers (& a Deputy Speaker) is beyond me

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Links to both added to above.  61 is obviously a dangerous age.

But to be fair to Mr Speaker he was able to leave the bus without the assistance of police.  Even if the contents of his stomach didn't.  And it wasn't at 11 in the morning.

• Haha 4
32 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

But this is an ancient Manx tradition, going all the way back to ... 1990.

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Really the title of President of Tynwald should be an honourary one going to the longest serving popularly elected member

The person regularly in charge of the sessions of Tynwald has to have at least a reasonable bit of nous and know what they are doing.  So you can't give it automatically on seniority or you could end up with Cregeen.  And the Speaker can't do it automatically as that would nullify him from operating as an MHK.

But it could be a part-time job.  Though formalising that would mean that we ended up recognising just how many other Tynwald members were part-timers when you look at what they do.

I wonder how did the House of Keys manage to survive -  prosper even - without a President of Tynwald to sagely guide them along the difficult path of parliamentary representation in a legislature that sits once in a blue moon . . . . 

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I wonder how did the House of Keys manage to survive -  prosper even - without a President of Tynwald to sagely guide them along the difficult path of parliamentary representation in a legislature that sits once in a blue moon . . . . 

And indeed how did all the savages in the backwards countries of the world previously ever advance their societies and democracies without our President of Tynwald on his/her globetrotting jaunts to lead them out of the electoral darkness?

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Links to both added to above.  61 is obviously a dangerous age.

But to be fair to Mr Speaker he was able to leave the bus without the assistance of police.  Even if the contents of his stomach didn't.  And it wasn't at 11 in the morning.

Mr Speaker seems an ok type of person and that little incident probably helped his street cred no end. Pomposity and power are an awful combination.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Why ?

6 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

That's what I said, why does Tynwald need two presiding officers and a deputy speaker?

All high profile positions need a deputy.

Look at Costa ( yes I know they are shite),  They are binning off all deputy managers to save costs, but what happens when the manager is off sick for a month ? Who runs the show and takes responsibility?

A bit like having no back up if the class teacher is off sick. Chaos 

Edited by dilligaf
6 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

That's what I said, why does Tynwald need two presiding officers and a deputy speaker?

Because there are a large number of backsides requiring seats in the 1st Class carriage?

• Like 1