1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

So you would take one of our most impressive legislators away from legislating? I just don't see the logic in that.

Oh come on - it's not as though she's being asked to preen & posture for the rest of her Tynwald career

Not even sure it would take her that far away from legislating

It'd be a case of assessing the role in situ, establishing whether it has a necessary & genuine function with value for money & democratic accountability, using her authority & that of the role to make recommendations to colleagues for reform

A Tynwald session at most

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO Watterson is the epitome of everything that is wrong with Tynwald. It's not just the demeaning of his post and that of his colleagues with that disgraceful episode on the bus. But it does gi

Scrap the president post it’s just for people who believe they are very important ( when most of the general public don’t give a s%%t about this ceremonial nonsense fancy dress gig)  or make it a part

It's an expensive (to us) role, it's not democratically elected, It serves little obvious constitutional purpose, the holders tend to enjoy dressing up and gadding off around the world to pontificate

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Oh come on - it's not as though she's being asked to preen & posture for the rest of her Tynwald career

Not even sure it would take her that far away from legislating

It'd be a case of assessing the role in situ, establishing whether it has a necessary & genuine function with value for money & democratic accountability, using her authority & that of the role to make recommendations to colleagues for reform

A Tynwald session at most

You don't need to be in the position to do that. It's fairly obvious it's not needed. In fact I've already made a suggestion of a way forward earlier in this thread. I just don't get your point of view. Why would you want to take her away from where she is good to put in a position where a) she might not enjoy b) risk her old position being filled with a CoMin pick depriving tynwald of a decent legislator.

Anyway we are at impasse we should just agree to disagree on this one.

The thing about getting rid of the Speaker - if that's what you mean - is that that role does have a historic democratic mandate

The President is just an in house appointee, a good number of whom don't have a democratic mandate either

Anyway, the lady may not wish to contest this & we'll end up with a preening conservative in place for a decade when much progressive change has to be brought about to accommodate 'just transition' to net zero carbon

Just been looking at the mention of the President in the Lisvane Report - the role & it's purpose doesn't get a mention , other than in some document somewhere the word Governor has been scrubbed out & the word President inserted instead

https://www.gov.im/media/1352029/review-of-the-functioning-of-tynwald-gd-2016-0047.pdf

We know where the authority of the Governor came from

Where does that of the President of Tynwald originate?

Edited by Donald Trumps
28 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

That's another of them things where the wider electorate gets no mention whatsoever

It's all as tho' they'd happily live without us

The electorate are an un-necessary irritation to the Club. Didn't Phil Gawne unknowingly allude to that through a live Tynwald mic once?

Except for the electorate rather annoyingly being needed once every 5 years or so.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The electorate are an un-necessary irritation to the Club. Didn't Phil Gawne unknowingly allude to that through a live Tynwald mic once?

Except for the electorate rather annoyingly being needed once every 5 years or so.

Indeed he did, talking about the Douglas prom scheme as it happens.

• Haha 1

I recall flying to,Glasgow a few years ago going there young Juan was in a sober black suit on the flight. Anyway we did I bit of shopping at the Tesco Airport branch there because we had a flat booked. In the meantime young Juan was met by a splendidly white attired Royal Navy chap. Next thing Juan retires to the toilet and next thing he reappears dressed like he is Richard Gere in Officer and a Gentleman complete with white uniform and a white hat ( even then he did not wear the hat at a jaunty angle ). My guess is he was off to inspect Faslane or something although I doubt they let him beyond the coffee shop. It was very funny but I suppose only to me there because nobody there knew who he was. Even my wife didn’t but thought he might be there for an audition of a Village People tribute band. Did they have a sailor?

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Anyone said:

I recall flying to,Glasgow a few years ago going there young Juan was in a sober black suit on the flight. Anyway we did I bit of shopping at the Tesco Airport branch there because we had a flat booked. In the meantime young Juan was met by a splendidly white attired Royal Navy chap. Next thing Juan retires to the toilet and next thing he reappears dressed like he is Richard Gere in Officer and a Gentleman complete with white uniform and a white hat ( even then he did not wear the hat at a jaunty angle ). My guess is he was off to inspect Faslane or something although I doubt they let him beyond the coffee shop. It was very funny but I suppose only to me there because nobody there knew who he was. Even my wife didn’t but thought he might be there for an audition of a Village People tribute band. Did they have a sailor?

Not sure why, but for some strange reason I don’t believe a word of this

16 hours ago, Anyone said:

What rank does he hold?

13 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

What rank does he hold?

According to Wikiwotzit:

Watterson joined the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme where he is a postgraduate (2012) and Honorary Commander (RN). On 1 August 2016 he was appointed Hon. Colonel of the Isle of Man Army Cadet Force.[6]

So it's quite conceivable that he would have been seen wearing whites. Makes you wonder if he has a Napoleon Complex.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He may we’ll be entitled to wear a uniform, with appropriate insignia to show honorary rank and the service. But not a white uniform in Scotland. White is strictly tropical dress . Last time I looked Scotland wasn’t in the tropics.