Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

All Jersey residents are being given £100 each

IoM Govt will be taking £100 off each resident. And that's just for starters...

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Great idea!

Fags & booze all round to compound an already horrendous looking NHS treatment backlog.

• Like 4

Crikey the yoof of today spend more than that on a night out in the big smoke already.

• Like 1

I does rather smack of desperation, as some of us pointed out some days agoMalta tried a similar scheme, which seems to have turned out more expensive than forecast.  But the simple fact is that the sectors they are directed to in those places, don't seem to need them on the Island.  Something that those demanding we should be more like Jersey seem to be missing.

(I assume no one is daft enough to say we should be more like Malta:

image.png.6827b1b408c9692f2c198f25af116e0b.png

who pretty much defined how to make your second wave worse than your first)

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

(I assume no one is daft enough to say we should be more like Malta:

image.png.6827b1b408c9692f2c198f25af116e0b.png

who pretty much defined how to make your second wave worse than your first)

Malta still has less deaths than us (14 which is still 10 less in total than us) for a population of around 400,000 people so what’s it getting so wrong? So their first and second wave combined is still not as bad us for fatalities. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Yes but they have a national debt two & a half times GDP and really know how to make money work for the nation as a whole

Here it will be grants for landowners to help them get by

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Malta still has less deaths than us (14 which is still 10 less in total than us) for a population of around 400,000 people so what’s it getting so wrong? So their first and second wave combined is still not as bad us for fatalities. 

Our deaths were rather unlucky though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Crikey the yoof of today spend more than that on a night out in the big smoke already.

I should think so too. I used to spend more than that on a night out 20 years ago. Its reassuring in a way that perhaps there is still hope for the new generation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

People can't keep telling us that somehow our deaths don't count because they were mostly at Abbotswood and then saying they matter because they were more than other countries'.  Actually five of Malta's already relate to the most recent wave (as you know there's always a lag) and they actually had fewer cases per head than we did in the first one.

• Like 1

I look back through the COVID thread and some of the suggestions that lockdown could be a starting point for an economic reset and a fairer way in how we did things, Universal Basic Income for all etc etc.

Chances of it happening?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

People spent more than that each weekend night in Douglas 15- 20 years ago, when times were different to today

Ni

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I look back through the COVID thread and some of the suggestions that lockdown could be a starting point for an economic reset and a fairer way in how we did things, Universal Basic Income for all etc etc.

Chances of it happening?

Nil! sadly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Chances of it happening?

I’m pretty sure that those take aways and restaurants that changed to deliveries, will do well as they have expanded their client / customer base. We have learned that buying local is important to the economy. 
Downside, is that we all realised how good Amazon is.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1