Ready Steady Cook

I saw this little amusing piece in the local oily rag  about 3 of our most publicity hungry MHKs willing to make total tits of themselves all in aid of votes or to publicise Manx meat and food?

One of the highlights of the forthcoming Food and Drink Festival this year will be the Ready Steady Cook contest with Dot Tilbury as presenter.

This year’s will be a political battle with DEFA Minister Geoffrey Boot cooking against fellow MHKs Rob Callister and Martyn Perkins.

The dish they will be preparing will be a Manx Baked Alaska.

The Food and Farming page has been talking to the contenders and asking them whether they like to cook at home and what their signature dish would be.

Rob Callister

‘My signature dish at home is a Manx fillet of steak, chips, onion rings, mushrooms and veg.

‘On the BBQ my signature dish is a salmon parcel cooked slowly with corn on the cob and fresh salad.’

Geoffrey Boot

‘My home signature dish is Manx lamb cutlets or chops with potatoes, spinach, broccoli, green peas, runner beans or cabbage harvested from our garden.’

Martyn Perkins

‘I often cook chicken breast filled with asparagus and wrapped in bacon with roast vegetables. 

‘Followed by panna cotta with summer fruit coulis.

‘My signature dish is prawn cocktail with my special Marie Rose sauce followed by pancake filled with queenies in garlic butter with bacon and white wine sauce. 

‘And for dessert oranges thinly sliced in Grand Marnier liquor topped with cream.’

l The Food and Drink Festival takes place at the Villa Marina Gardens on September 19 and 20.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Rob Callister

‘My signature dish at home is a Manx fillet of steak, chips, onion rings, mushrooms and veg.

‘On the BBQ my signature dish is a salmon parcel cooked slowly with corn on the cob and fresh salad.

Will he be washing it down with some Umbongo? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

So, what do we expect, our MHKs to come up with, some exclusive dish, never heard of before?

All modern cooking is in influenced by tradition or blog tv prog social media conceptions of what is the norm, it relies littlle on cooking skills, rather that 'following' a recipe?

Baked Alaska with a pureed Kipper under layer, now that would be different !!!

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Martyn Perkins

‘My signature dish is prawn cocktail with my special Marie Rose sauce followed by pancake filled with queenies in garlic butter with bacon and white wine sauce. 

‘And for dessert oranges thinly sliced in Grand Marnier liquor topped with cream.’

Just when you thought Martyn Perkins couldn't get any more 1970s . . . .

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Apple said:

Good Grief.

Just what we need to cheer us up. I've forgotten about Covid 19 already.:rolleyes:

Yes just what we need inept politicians pretending to show the population their culinary prowess. It will be pure comedy gold, and I think it will keep this thread alive for a while.