Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. I can tell you precisely what it means. We’ve imported another six figure salary burden from the UK NHS. It’s a phenomenon caused by the Charters virus and the local carrier is Howard Quayle. The

What he's told.  But doing what he's told has basically been what Ashford's political career has consisted of and he's not going to change now.  To some extent he's the perfect Manx Government Ministe

You're not from around these parts are you. I've fixed your post:    

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Another of Jonny Michael's pals I hear.  That guy is directing so much, I wonder what the Boy Vampire actually does!

What he's told.  But doing what he's told has basically been what Ashford's political career has consisted of and he's not going to change now.  To some extent he's the perfect Manx Government Minister for our civil servants - someone who will put across whatever the current line is without questioning it, but with enough knowledge to understand what he's saying.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What he's told.  But doing what he's told has basically been what Ashford's political career has consisted of and he's not going to change now.  To some extent he's the perfect Manx Government Minister for our civil servants - someone who will put across whatever the current line is without questioning it, but with enough knowledge to understand what he's saying.

If it anything controversial and likely to lose him any votes, he would not be toeing the current line.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I alone in thinking that at an early stage Manx Care will become Manx Don’t Care, followed by Manx Indifferent and ultimately Manx Couldn’t Give a Fuck?

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Am I alone in thinking that at an early stage Manx Care will become Manx Don’t Care, followed by Manx Indifferent and ultimately Manx Couldn’t Give a Fuck?

 

Aren't we already there by all accounts?

15 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

If it anything controversial and likely to lose him any votes, he would not be toeing the current line.

Transferring staff from NHS to Manx Care won't win him any votes in the long run I fear......

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't know why we don't just stop trying to be a general hospital, in an age of specialist hospitals and concentrate on stabilising urgent cases, shipping them off to the correct place in the UK and spend the savings on better care for the elderly in sheltered housing and the like.

Is that an option? I was talking to a nurse a few years ago who said she thought Nobles would do better that way?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I really don't know why we don't just stop trying to be a general hospital, in an age of specialist hospitals and concentrate on stabilising urgent cases, shipping them off to the correct place in the UK and spend the savings on better care for the elderly in sheltered housing and the like.

Is that an option? I was talking to a nurse a few years ago who said she thought Nobles would do better that way?

  1. Savings?
  2. Treating someone closer to family is better all round, I'm sure I read that this does aid recovery.
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I really don't know why we don't just stop trying to be a general hospital, in an age of specialist hospitals and concentrate on stabilising urgent cases, shipping them off to the correct place in the UK and spend the savings on better care for the elderly in sheltered housing and the like.

That is exactly what we do. There are a range of things that a general hospital can do and Noble’s does lots.it should be able to diagnose and do convalescence/follow up. And treat the majority in between. The numbers which are sent away shouldn’t be many or for extended stays.

Shipping to UK isn’t cheap. We pay for travel and the treatment. It’s the expertise that we could never provide.

But having the best diagnostic equipment and linking it in to UK consultants so diagnosis is made here. That’s good. Plus more video consultations with Uk based consultants rather than monthly fly away days.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That is exactly what we do. There are a range of things that a general hospital can do and Noble’s does lots.it should be able to diagnose and do convalescence/follow up. And treat the majority in between. The numbers which are sent away shouldn’t be many or for extended stays.

Shipping to UK isn’t cheap. We pay for travel and the treatment. It’s the expertise that we could never provide.

But having the best diagnostic equipment and linking it in to UK consultants so diagnosis is made here. That’s good. Plus more video consultations with Uk based consultants rather than monthly fly away days.

 

Maybe they have updated their equipment but my experience was that MRI/ CAT scans or the like done here could not be sent easily to the UK, not digitally anyway they had to go snail mail and that proved too hard for Nobles admin to manage. 5 weeks we waited in the UK for my scans and they never did turn up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Maybe they have updated their equipment but my experience was that MRI/ CAT scans or the like done here could not be sent easily to the UK, not digitally anyway they had to go snail mail and that proved too hard for Nobles admin to manage. 5 weeks we waited in the UK for my scans and they never did turn up.

That is not correct. Snail mail is very rarely used.

All radiology images are now digital and can be sent world-wide almost instantly. Data protection is a big issue but provided that both the sending and receiving hospitals are registered on the same system ( either IEP Image Exchange Portal or N3Link) then it is simple and can be addressed to say a specific Professor in a tertiary centre such as Walton, Aintree etc.

Where the system sometimes falls down is that the information continues to reside in an encrypted packet at the tertiary centre because the intended recipient is (for whatever reason) was not expecting the information and therefore it is never opened because only that one individual has the correct 'key'.

A simple chest X-ray would be transmitted in seconds whilst a complex CT scan might contain up to 9,000 images and therefore take 30-40 minutes due to file size / network loading etc.

Many UK hospitals export urgent images via tele radiology to Australia / NZ for overnight reading (and vice-versa) - massive quantity of data sent routinely every day of the year.

It is done directly from clinician to clinician with IT involvement but no admin involvement.

HTH

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Maybe they have updated their equipment but my experience was that MRI/ CAT scans or the like done here could not be sent easily to the UK, not digitally anyway they had to go snail mail and that proved too hard for Nobles admin to manage. 5 weeks we waited in the UK for my scans and they never did turn up.

We send digital images all the time. Just to add to the above response, I’ve found that it’s usually the recipient that is at fault when things don’t arrive. I had a patient delayed the other week when receiving hospital claimed they hadn’t got my referral. We’d faxed it over (yes, I know, but that’s what they wanted) and my secretary had spoken to her oppo over there and confirmed they’d got it. Still somehow my fault that they lost it :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

What's the bet that lots of deckchairs will be moved, a lot of hot air blown, a lot of management consultants will get rich and we end up with a healthcare system much worse than at present?

Probably not much worse, because there are a lot of people on the ground who will work hard to keep things going as smoothly and comprehensively as they can.  But probably quite a bit worse and with everything being slowed down with lots of meetings and reports and cover-ups.  And everything costing a lot more, with no return for it except to the bank accounts of the chosen few.  And perhaps most critically, a wasted opportunity to reform things rather than just entrench existing systems (which is what corporatisation tends to do).

Back in January I wrote the following - oddly enough in another reply to @Dr. Grumpy:

Quote

Is there any truth in the rumours that Mr. Spicer has submitted a scathing report detailing why the transformation will fail unless certain key people are removed?

Well it wouldn't surprise me, but that doesn't mean such a report would be accurate.  After all "Sack everyone and bring in some mates" was tried with Charters and that didn't go well.  And people trying to impose their 'transformational' 'vision' often find it all too easy to denounce those pointing out awkward facts rather than listening and adjusting their plans to reality. 

The truth is anyone who is swanning in to reorganise things will not see things in the same way as someone who has to live with the consequences and make them work.  There will be a tendency to go for big showy simplified gestures rather than to work through the details and to mistake agreement for wisdom.  So even if half the people have to go, the tendency will be get rid of those who know what they are doing (because they raise reasoned objections) and keep those that don't (because they are good at playing office politics).

In fact I am very sceptical about the Michael Report in general.  Similar reforms haven't been useful in the UK (except perhaps as preparation to privatisation) and it seems a very elaborate structure for such a small place.  But of course it was very attractive package for our politicians partly because it made Health 'someone else's problem'; partly because it satisfied the Politician's Syllogism ("Something must be done/This is something/Therefore we must do it"); mainly because it followed the familiar methods of the Bell years - if there is a problem reorganise.

That's not really changed and the fact they are going ahead with these plans, despite everything that has happened since, suggests they are still mainly doing them for the sake of doing something.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wrighty said:

We send digital images all the time. Just to add to the above response, I’ve found that it’s usually the recipient that is at fault when things don’t arrive. I had a patient delayed the other week when receiving hospital claimed they hadn’t got my referral. We’d faxed it over (yes, I know, but that’s what they wanted) and my secretary had spoken to her oppo over there and confirmed they’d got it. Still somehow my fault that they lost it :rolleyes:

My experience was around 7 years ago and it could not be sent digitally because the 2 hospitals systems would not talk to each other, hence the snail mail and the no show. I take it this is not the case now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...