Jump to content

Manx Care


Apple
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, Apple said:

Well, we pay for it so they must know what they are doing....

or as DA said repeatedly, it was a unanimous decision to vote to bring in Manx Care so the NHKs must have known we were going to be doubling up surely. They wouldn't have sanctioned anything they did not know about surely.

Burt seriously, there are significant changes and developments, including legal and off island issues connected to Manx Care that have not yet been announced or developed. We are still waiting to hear about the Private services provider in Nobles that won the contract!

We need to maintain scrutiny of what they do, how they meet the Mandate requirements, what the impact of changes are on the public. That is why a lot of attention is now being poured over the process and procedures for scrutiny and will be in the public domain soon. 

If the last 5 / 6 years and Covid have resulted in anything positive it is now about the priorities of providing a health service and (statutory to note) social services to meet the islands ongoing needs.

 

Surely a section in Cabinet office  or a closet, or DOI or year 6 at high schools could have overseen the Manx mandate compliance better value for money.   It’s costing millions for this new DHSC team who don’t seem to have experience in original IOM NHS.   
turkey voting for Christmas. 
the millions should go into NHS, gets people in population back to work, retains staff in nhs, would boost economy. 

Edited by buncha wankas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, Apple said:

Well, we pay for it so they must know what they are doing....

or as DA said repeatedly, it was a unanimous decision to vote to bring in Manx Care so the NHKs must have known we were going to be doubling up surely. They wouldn't have sanctioned anything they did not know about surely.

Well like today's vote on the borders, they were probably forced into it.  But in any case they were probably told that there would be no extra staff.  I was actually at a public meeting last year when this very point was raised with Ashford and he swore that there would be no extra people needed and the current staff would be split between DHSC and Manx Care with no more needed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 10:07 AM, John Wright said:

I just hope this is a taste of things to come

There are some, especially community mental health, referral lags that are appalling. Community Psychologists take 18 months from referral to being seen. Obviously need  half a dozen more psychologists.

Announced yesterday Manx Care are recruiting another 10 therapists/psychologists in 2021, with more in 2022, and training another 8 locally.

Sounds as if one is to be embedded within each GP practice.

Long overdue. Kudos to Ross Bailey and Teresa Cope for moving this forward 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well like today's vote on the borders, they were probably forced into it.  But in any case they were probably told that there would be no extra staff.  I was actually at a public meeting last year when this very point was raised with Ashford and he swore that there would be no extra people needed and the current staff would be split between DHSC and Manx Care with no more needed.

Yet it was always admitted publicly that the additional administrative cost of the separation into a service commissioner and an arms length service provider would be £2,000,000 a year for at least the first 5 years.

Once you have such a system you have to have extra people commissioning and submitting the bids. Extra staff at CEO/Board level, and at commissioning were inevitable.

The agenda and board papers for the July Manx Care board meeting are revealing as to the difficulties caused by poor information systems and data collection and collation, but, where data is available, the low hanging fruit savings to be made by comparatively small changes. 

I hope it’s a sign of things to come. The Breast Cancer catch up initiative is great, but staff must be put in place so the job can all be done here. The mental health therapy staffing initiative is also good. Both make you wonder why the old DHSC delivery teams had allowed staffing to become so inadequate.

We now need to replace the locum consultants, specialists and nurses with full time substantive appointments. There’s a huge saving to be had there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Government need a strategy to make housing affordable. This will be a barrier to recruitment and people training.

 

I suggest they build houses and then offer them as rent to buy particularly to younger people but going off topic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Long overdue.

Too true. There were warning signs bu they were ignored by those who should have been doing something about it. There is still some  'repair' work to be undertaken as announced now that some of the "obstacles" have been removed and hopefully the next administration will continue to support the developments that have been and are sorely needed. We have a some way to go before mental and general health receive the same consideration outlined in Government policies. £20 million is a vast amount if we are to catch up.

 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

The Breast Cancer catch up initiative is great, but staff must be put in place so the job can all be done here. The mental health therapy staffing initiative is also good. Both make you wonder why the old DHSC delivery teams had allowed staffing to become so inadequate.

It was indicated in Tynwald and from various sources regarding the process on 'managing people out of the service' and the detrimental effect it has had. But never mind, some people lost their jobs, some their confidence, some their health and some felt very unfairly treated. As for the patients these people were meant to be treating and caring for, one has to realise the importance of how the staff feel and perform their roles on outcomes. It is well documented. 

The environment had been toxic. It should not have been. Failures of bodies and politicians in my view are now being recognised. We have had 5 / 6  years in my view that portrayed the island as a negative place to be and not even Manx Care can change attitudes quickly. It will take time and vigilance.

On the other hand some though have been allowed to 'walk away' with financial packages intact. Jobs well done.  

Edited by Apple
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2021 at 2:07 AM, John Wright said:

What was the outcome for Ms Inglis. Not sure of the parallels.

After she was dismissed from DSHC she moved to Australia where she is currently the manager of a pathology lab in a public hospital. She is still up to her old tricks now with a new batch of scientists to terrorise. There is no justice in this world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well like today's vote on the borders, they were probably forced into it.  But in any case they were probably told that there would be no extra staff.  I was actually at a public meeting last year when this very point was raised with Ashford and he swore that there would be no extra people needed and the current staff would be split between DHSC and Manx Care with no more needed.

Load of shite, dozens of new rolls 

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/health-and-social-care/

 

 

Edited by buncha wankas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Disgruntled_scientist said:

After she was dismissed from DSHC she moved to Australia where she is currently the manager of a pathology lab in a public hospital. 

No mention of the IOM on her LinkedIn profile, funnily enough. You'd like to think the management there at least Googled her, but then I thought the same about Charters and he keeps on getting jobs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yet it was always admitted publicly that the additional administrative cost of the separation into a service commissioner and an arms length service provider would be £2,000,000 a year for at least the first 5 years.

Once you have such a system you have to have extra people commissioning and submitting the bids. Extra staff at CEO/Board level, and at commissioning were inevitable.

Well lots of us know this and have been saying so for many years.  Government outsourcing of essential services, whether though privatisation, corporatisation or arm-length organisations, always carries a regulatory overhead which is mostly fixed cost, no matter how large or small the country.  So if your country is a tiddler you'd better make sure there's a lot of savings from doing it or it's going to cost a lot more than you save.  But somehow this had failed to get through to Ashford's mind as had all the information you refer to.

Or maybe he was lying. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sheldon said:

No mention of the IOM on her LinkedIn profile, funnily enough. You'd like to think the management there at least Googled her, but then I thought the same about Charters and he keeps on getting jobs.

The Tribunal findings were sent to HR of that company and all of her superiors plus most of the staff. She is a joke and still using her power to make others lives miserable.

How do these people get away with it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Disgruntled_scientist said:

The Tribunal findings were sent to HR of that company and all of her superiors plus most of the staff. She is a joke and still using her power to make others lives miserable.

How do these people get away with it?

Ask any member of IOM gov.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see the answers in Tynwald to the Dr Tinwell question is available in Hansard. According to Ashford there is no real discernible outcome and we do not know what was behind the testament described quite eloquently in the Tribunal. 

Except the amount of money of course were are now having to pay out. Probably then another non disclosure agreement. 

Has anyone seen the. Manx Care Board public meeting stream yet? First impressions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Apple said:

I see the answers in Tynwald to the Dr Tinwell question is available in Hansard. According to Ashford there is no real discernible outcome and we do not know what was behind the testament described quite eloquently in the Tribunal. 

Except the amount of money of course were are now having to pay out. Probably then another non disclosure agreement. 

Has anyone seen the. Manx Care Board public meeting stream yet? First impressions? 

On the Tinwell question, I just had a skeet at Hansard, page 67.  You see the classical problem when politicians have small brains with slow processors - they flounder as soon as they are off script.  Look at this classic when the Boy Vampire is asked about 'a culture of bullying and managing out'.

In relation to the point in relation to culture, speaking personally, if I may, I do think there have been issues with culture. I think there have been some severe issues with culture. I have got to be honest that some of the things that I have read in relation to this I most certainly am not happy with, (A Member: Hear, hear.) and I do not believe it was appropriate behaviours whatsoever and it should not be appropriate or condoned in any organisation. (A Member: Hear, hear.) In relation to disciplinary matters, of course that is a staffing matter. A lot of the individuals that were referred to have now departed the Department, in one way or another, but I think that now what we need to do is ensure that we address any cultural issues. There have been cultural pieces ongoing certainly for the whole time that I have been Minister, which is now getting on for nearly four years, to try and address some of the issues. But most definitely I do not shy away from the fact that there are culture and behavioural issues that were long rooted in the Department that were completely unacceptable.

Does anyone know what that blather means?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...