5 minutes ago, joebean said:

The stark fact is that if you took away the Motorsport events, the Island would see about 40,000 visitors who were not coming for business or to see friends and family. All the talk about heritage and beauty being great selling points is just talk. If the future of the TT and CTT/MGP is uncertain, as I think it is, some real thought has to be put into the future of tourism here. Starting about now. The lead has to come from the private sector and Government should be supporting their ideas and enterprise. Government should not be coming up with the ideas and leading the strategy. That is when it all starts to go wrong.

That is what Mr Robertshaw is doing now with his report, echoing stuff others have been promoting for a decade

DfE don't take a blind bit of notice of recommendations & are permitted to potter along doing their own thing

I don't agree with you on heritage and beauty

• Like 1
  • Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only a few 2021 TT T-shirts left, just DM me please. £29.99 each. Stock list: S - 5,670 M - 6,220 L - 8,321 XL- 8,934 XXXXL - 20,567

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

Biggest issue I would say is going to be a PR disaster. The return of deposits and carry over bookings. I honestly feel theres no way that the 2021 TT can go ahead due to many reasons not least availa

Posted Images

As reported previously only 19% of TT tourists stay in hotels so they would lose out but the campsites may attract ordinary tourists and the homestay are only benefiting locals who want a bit of spare cash.  Max is totally missing the point the true cost of the T T will never be known, cost to hospital, cost to people who are waiting for ops. loss of local revenue because people will not venture on the road amid the madness.   Is it worth it ?   No, it is a good time to call it a day, true a few people make a lot of money out of it but lots of businesses feel the pain and lose a lot of money. Open the Island up to people who just want to experience a peaceful time on a beautiful Island.   We do not need the T T we just have been brainwashed into thinking it is our saviour,  well it ain’t.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
53 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Loads of people don’t want to be here when so many riders and fansare being killed. 

More likely is that everything is booked up well in advance...

Are there any surveys to indicate the number or people who would venture here to appreciate all this tranquility and beauty if we scratched the TT? Given that there are other areas of the UK blessed with such that don't require a second mortgage to reach and finance when you get there nor have the extra travel hassle?

I suspect that the appeal would be to older generations rather than the younger and family types. More coach trip types.

People who've saved hard for their holidays want to see something different and have experiences, be entertained and occupied. Something to remember their holiday by and justify the outlay. Do we have that appeal?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

As reported previously only 19% of TT tourists stay in hotels so they would lose out but the campsites may attract ordinary tourists and the homestay are only benefiting locals who want a bit of spare cash.  Max is totally missing the point the true cost of the T T will never be known, cost to hospital, cost to people who are waiting for ops. loss of local revenue because people will not venture on the road amid the madness.   Is it worth it ?   No, it is a good time to call it a day, true a few people make a lot of money out of it but lots of businesses feel the pain and lose a lot of money. Open the Island up to people who just want to experience a peaceful time on a beautiful Island.   We do not need the T T we just have been brainwashed into thinking it is our saviour,  well it ain’t.

The TT, where English people come to spend money with companies, stalls, food outlets, merchandise tents largely owned by English people, who then go away and spend their dollar in Spain, Greece  etc. etc.  The homestay recipients take in the wedge and do the same. This is what our Gov says goes into our economy. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, joebean said:

The stark fact is that if you took away the Motorsport events, the Island would see about 40,000 visitors who were not coming for business or to see friends and family. All the talk about heritage and beauty being great selling points is just talk. If the future of the TT and CTT/MGP is uncertain, as I think it is, some real thought has to be put into the future of tourism here. Starting about now. The lead has to come from the private sector and Government should be supporting their ideas and enterprise. Government should not be coming up with the ideas and leading the strategy. That is when it all starts to go wrong.

You are absolutely right, as I said earlier, government should be facilitating and creating the environment by making it worth investing in the tourism sector. Unfortunately they are more concerned with having control over everything rather than easing up and making things simpler and cost effective.

23 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I personally reckon a lot of people would come over here to holiday BECAUSE there was no TT or MGP. Many don’t want to be here surrounded by bikes and they could enjoy our beautiful island in relative peace . A lot can’t even get when the TT etc is on because the tickets are sold out so quickly, before holidaymakers can book their time off work.

The boats and planes certainly would not be empty for those 5 weeks or so.

The Steam Packet makes a lot of its money in those two weeks, not during the rest of the year. There's no bikes in July or early August yet the island isn't rammed with tourists then.

I'd agree that tourism needs to be about more than motorbikes, but you're not going to get 50,000-80,000 people to come here to walk up Slieau Whallian and ride on a heritage tram, no matter how much you diversify.

As for TT 2021, who knows. As I said there's no reason why they couldn't run it with restricted numbers from across, there have been road races in England and Ireland. As a loss-leader to keep it going it would make sense.

I'd have to fear that if it doesn't happen in 2021 it might never happen, riders will lose knowledge and the whole thing could fizzle away very easily. I know that would give some people a lot of pleasure, but you're not going to replace TT visitors easily, not even if you buy a bigger paddle board platform for Laxey beach.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

The Steam Packet makes a lot of its money in those two weeks, not during the rest of the year. There's no bikes in July or early August yet the island isn't rammed with tourists then.

I'd agree that tourism needs to be about more than motorbikes, but you're not going to get 50,000-80,000 people to come here to walk up Slieau Whallian and ride on a heritage tram, no matter how much you diversify.

As for TT 2021, who knows. As I said there's no reason why they couldn't run it with restricted numbers from across, there have been road races in England and Ireland. As a loss-leader to keep it going it would make sense.

I'd have to fear that if it doesn't happen in 2021 it might never happen, riders will lose knowledge and the whole thing could fizzle away very easily. I know that would give some people a lot of pleasure, but you're not going to replace TT visitors easily, not even if you buy a bigger paddle board platform for Laxey beach.

50,000 to 80,000 people. You talking about the 1960’s ?

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

Have you got any facts that support that assumption? I would like to see them. Really.

I would PM you what I know, but you would no doubt post what I said , so No

On 9/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, Derek Flint said:

It’s another element of our future which we are going to have to come to terms with if the event is not going to run next year. If it doesn’t, then we are in an interesting position on a number of levels. Lack of course familiarity of riders, deterioration of skills of officials, changes on the palatability of risk. 

Maybe the future lies in a “Revival” festival, with a racing schedule split between Billown, a re- engineered Willaston and Jurby, with a ‘parade day’ celebrating the Mountain course at parade speeds thus reducing the marshaling burden. It could be much more inclusive and attract a wider clientele. We could have such a plan “oven ready” for use even after a hiatus of several years. 

Just a thought 

Sorry but it is all over.  With the unemployment Europe wide following the COVID-19 virus, not least within the UK the IOMTT is a luxury that is not affordable now. Even if a vaccine is available in the new year it will take time to prove its working. TT is finished. 

23 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

Sorry but it is all over.  With the unemployment Europe wide following the COVID-19 virus, not least within the UK the IOMTT is a luxury that is not affordable now. Even if a vaccine is available in the new year it will take time to prove its working. TT is finished. 

There will be too many locals still bricking it about outsiders coming here next June. There’s no way it’s going ahead.