• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

It’s another element of our future which we are going to have to come to terms with if the event is not going to run next year. If it doesn’t, then we are in an interesting position on a number of lev

I doubt it.  Most people haven't heard of the Isle of Man.  Our brochures are not prominent in travel agents.  I lived in the NW of England for 10 years and it never came on to my radar at all.  Befor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

There's an awful lot of people who think that the TT etc will be finished if the events don't run for a second year. I think they are underestimating the desire for them to continue amongst their supporters and competitors around the world. I know we live in different times but the TT has survived two world wars, the MGP one. Many of its supporters and competitors suffered far worse fates than Covid-19 infection. Some of the arguments against the races are actually pitiful and hardly worth consideration. I can confidently say that however long this pandemic lasts, the TT will emerge on the other side. 

I totally agree.

The manx government want it, the TT organisers want it, the bike manufacturers want it, the race teams want it, the riders want it, the sponsors want it, the TV company want it, the homestay owners want it, a fair proportion of the Manx public want it, 50,000 visitors want it, the hotels want it, the football clubs want it, the camp sites want it, the pubs and restaurants want it, the supermarkets want it, the taxi drivers want it, the bus company wants it, the electric tram wants it, the steam train wants it, steam packet want it etc etc.

Who doesn't want it ?? Oh yer, 10 posters on the Manx Forum and a small proportion of the Manx public.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I wonder how small that proportion of the Manx public is

I doubt whether 50% of Manx residents would vote for the TT. Were I resident then I wouldn't, too many widows and orphans.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, tetchtyke said:

I certainly hope so, but the noises from the organisers of the Ulster HP at Dundrod were not positive even before Covid.

I think the TT is wonderful and needs to continue, but each year it's missing makes it harder to resume. I think it's important that 2021 happens even if non-resident spectator numbers are low.

Yes, the Ulster ran into financial difficulties. It was pretty much cancelled before the Covid thing. People were not willing to pay for the programme and to get into the viewing areas. The NI government were apparently going to stump up more assistance I think? It's slightly different to the TT as most spectators drive in from around Ireland and leave afterwards so the benefit to the area is not very high in terms of cash I think?

• Like 1

What now for Ulster GP as £300k debt spells end of road for organisers?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/motorcycling/ulster-grand-prix/what-now-for-ulster-gp-as-300k-debt-spells-end-of-road-for-organisers-39104781.html

Edited by Donald Trumps
25 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, the Ulster ran into financial difficulties. It was pretty much cancelled before the Covid thing. People were not willing to pay for the programme and to get into the viewing areas. The NI government were apparently going to stump up more assistance I think? It's slightly different to the TT as most spectators drive in from around Ireland and leave afterwards so the benefit to the area is not very high in terms of cash I think?

Yeah, they'd gone bust even before Covid and the NI government were dithering about more financial support. I think there are more daytrippers to the Ulster, and to the NW200, compared to the TT. And that reduces the benefit to the area.

My point was more that so many road races in Ireland have shown that once an event stops it's hard to get it going again.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I doubt whether 50% of Manx residents would vote for the TT. Were I resident then I wouldn't, too many widows and orphans.

That's a tough one!! Total uneducated guess:

To finish the TT for good  25%

To carry on with the TT 40%

Don't care / undecided 35%

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

Yeah, they'd gone bust even before Covid and the NI government were dithering about more financial support. I think there are more daytrippers to the Ulster, and to the NW200, compared to the TT. And that reduces the benefit to the area.

My point was more that so many road races in Ireland have shown that once an event stops it's hard to get it going again.

I agree there, some of it is due to the costs of insurance etc to the club concerned, usually they are quite small with limited funds anyway. Having said that, several new races and revived races have appeared in recent years, but others have gone by the wayside. 

• Like 1

My guess would be

People who take no notice of polls on MF - 99.99%

MF Posters who think the world hangs on their every post - 0.01

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I would say       finish the TT for good.    60%.   retain it.  30%.  Don’t know or care 10%.      again just a guess.

Move it into VR Gaming  0.000001%

ME!

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

My guess would be

People who take no notice of polls on MF - 99.99%

MF Posters who think the world hangs on their every post - 0.01

I mean the Douglas South one was pretty accurate.. oh wait :)

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, winnie said:

I totally agree.

The manx government want it, the TT organisers want it, the bike manufacturers want it, the race teams want it, the riders want it, the sponsors want it, the TV company want it, the homestay owners want it, a fair proportion of the Manx public want it, 50,000 visitors want it, the hotels want it, the football clubs want it, the camp sites want it, the pubs and restaurants want it, the supermarkets want it, the taxi drivers want it, the bus company wants it, the electric tram wants it, the steam train wants it, steam packet want it etc etc.

Who doesn't want it ?? Oh yer, 10 posters on the Manx Forum and a small proportion of the Manx public.

Just where do you get your figures from. 50,000. Not a chance in hell, nothing like it.

• Like 1