• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

Biggest issue I would say is going to be a PR disaster. The return of deposits and carry over bookings. I honestly feel theres no way that the 2021 TT can go ahead due to many reasons not least availa

Oh no it isn't... 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Some can’t see past the TT. It is not the be all and end all. Never was and never will be.

I was an enthusiast for quite a while but as the deaths and injuries kept mounting up it began to be uncomfortable - not with the racing but the impact on the island. Seemed incongruous when celebrating a 'festival' when death and injuries were being announced. I try to get off island for these last few years as getting around the island seems to gets more difficult and the roads just seem less safe than in the old days. (I think that is the standard of driving / riding though.)

Edited by Apple
can't spell.
  • Like 3
Just now, Apple said:

I was an enthusiast for quite a while but as the death kept mounting up began to be uncomfortable - not with the racing but the impact on the island. Seemed incongruous when celebrating a 'festival' when death and injuries were being announced. I try to get off island for these last few years as getting around the island seems to gets more difficult and the roads just seem less safe than in the old days. (I think that is the standard of driving / riding though.)

You are so right. It should not be that  way though, That is the thing though. People try to hide that bit.

defining

• Like 1

Do the official figures count residents who clear off ? If departing locals are counted AND they do homestay lets then is it double counting if visitor numbers but without visitor spend.

• Like 1

Do you remember which year it was when there was a kerfuffle in government when it was found out some civil servants were betting on death outcomes or was it just a malicious rumour. Anyway, that sickened me and a lot of fun went out of it for me at the time. Getting soft in old age perhaps.

4 minutes ago, ian rush said:

Do the official figures count residents who clear off ? If departing locals are counted AND they do homestay lets then is it double counting if visitor numbers but without visitor spend.

They're counted - or rather they are included in the survey, though they must be asked different questions (they certainly are in the passenger survey).  By air there were actually about as many departing as there were TT visitors arriving (41%).  The balance (18%) were those who had been on the for other reasons.

It was different by sea though - only about 9% departing across the period were residents.  Both figures, especially the sea,  are probably underestimates as they only start counting departures on the Monday Practise Week (ie the Late May Bank Holiday), so anyone departing for the fortnight won't be included.

However if people are letting out their entire property for Homestay it's not double-counting.  Those visitors are still coming after all.  You're right to raise the fact that the accommodation income leaks out if it's spent off the Island, but that applies whenever people do it.

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Some can’t see past the TT. It is not the be all and end all. Never was and never will be. Max Power is a 100% genuine guy and is smart, but his biking history clouds his vision. Good racer and TM is bound to support the TT. Can’t blame him for that. He has suffered badly because of his support for his chosen sport and I would never knock him for that. 

Thanks Dilli, but it's my own fault really. I'd still do it all again though if I could. 

I'm the first to admit that there are downsides to road racing and the TT etc, but I do live the events and do have some unique insights due to my ongoing involvement which I have had since I was nine years old. Like you, I have seen the TT go through great times and bad. To me, the TT is at a phase where its history and heritage are just as important, maybe more so, as the current event. I certainly wouldn't want to be part of the generation who let it slip away and denied future generations of something which is truly part of our Manx heritage. 

16 hours ago, Neil Down said:

care to share?

Years of experience forking out for staff to do next to nothing for a week either side of the TT from my own pocket

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Thanks Dilli, but it's my own fault really. I'd still do it all again though if I could. 

I'm the first to admit that there are downsides to road racing and the TT etc, but I do live the events and do have some unique insights due to my ongoing involvement which I have had since I was nine years old. Like you, I have seen the TT go through great times and bad. To me, the TT is at a phase where its history and heritage are just as important, maybe more so, as the current event. I certainly wouldn't want to be part of the generation who let it slip away and denied future generations of something which is truly part of our Manx heritage. 

Let's celebrate the history & heritage to the max with the Festival of Ancient Motorcycling, move on with the actual racing

Edited by Donald Trumps
20 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Years of experience forking out for staff to do next to nothing for a week either side of the TT from my own pocket

I don't know what business you're in Donald but that sounds a bit extreme? A week before practice starts and for a week after racing? Or do you mean the two week period of the TT?  

Still, that's life on the Isle of Man.

Nope I say & mean that in my - very expensive - experience of runnng a business serving the visitor industry the TT kills trade for about a week before the event and about a week after the event, making the event itself literally pointless from an enterprise perspective

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Nope I say & mean that in my - very expensive - experience of runnng a business serving the visitor industry the TT kills trade for about a week before the event and about a week after the event, making the event itself literally pointless from an enterprise perspective

So you feel that without the TT you would be busy during those weeks, prior and after? What do you base that on though Donald, and why are those two weeks so affected do you think?