TT 2021 ??

People leaving the Island do not do so just in the TT fortnight. Some go a week before, some don't return till the week after!

Even a business that gains from the TT, Pubs say, will have to employ extra staff to cope with busy periods, not all expected busy periods arise still haveto pay the staff though. One of the most disrupting factors on a business is when a race or practice is constantly delayed an hour at a time, customers are waiting for hours to see if the event goes ahead!!! Even a pie shop in the street has e4xtra staff in anticipation, if the Sun is glorious those customers go out from Dlas.

Homestay. I think the rule is that the owner must remain in residence with the visitors? ( Sure it's broken frequently???)

Edited by Kopek
  • Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only a few 2021 TT T-shirts left, just DM me please. £29.99 each. Stock list: S - 5,670 M - 6,220 L - 8,321 XL- 8,934 XXXXL - 20,567

Surely Alan means costs millions. DfE have people like Sheldon Hooper doing their theoretical estimations. The cost of house trams over the amount of money in the universe divided by the num

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

Posted Images

19 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I was there 24 hours per day. 
64 years experience of the Manx roads. What would I know. ? Driven 1,000,000 miles in my time and have a good handle  on what has gone on. Thank you.

The introduction of drivers hours legislation on the island is long overdue 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

So you feel that without the TT you would be busy during those weeks, prior and after? What do you base that on though Donald, and why are those two weeks so affected do you think? 

I can't speak for DT, but in my experience non-TT visitors think that the bikers will be around then as well (and to some extent they are) and the roads will be dangerous, everything will be expensive and so on.  Furthermore the price of travel remains high around the two core weeks as well, not just in them and special offers may not be available.

But the main reason is structural and applies to any block-booked event.  Because among non-TT visitors not everyone wants to come for the the same period, start on the same day of the week and so on, it takes time for things to fill up again afterwards.  Similarly people wanting to come before the event won't all want to conveniently match up the end of their holiday to the start of the event.

With TT it's even worse than that because it's not like everyone who comes for that stays for the full fortnight plus.  You can see this in this graph in the TT Visitors Survey.  The number of visitors peaks on Mad Sunday, but is a lot lower at the ends of the period (to some extent this is dictated by capacity on the boats).  So while non-TT people will definitely avoid the two weeks, plus more at either end, a lot of the two weeks isn't packed busy either.

43 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Joking aside I could not agree more. What is it with this island that the powers that be think we are somehow unique and don't need sensible rules for driving?

On a slightly different note I hope that the new test centre is being built to allow the introduction of emission testing. The amount of knackered engines billowing out black smoke is crazy and REALLY bad for health.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

So you feel that without the TT you would be busy during those weeks, prior and after? What do you base that on though Donald, and why are those two weeks so affected do you think? 

Yes the hospitality industry would be busy for all of late May & the month of June, were it not for manic road racing & it's biker fans. Our main markets come here for the quiet serenity & unique heritage of our unspoilt green isle. Obviously CM Quayle & his mates pouring concrete all over the place - are here any green fields left on the southern lowlands? - doesn't help one bit. I base this view on donkeys years of experience & my own computer records. 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I have vague memories of vociferous Tynwald arguments against it some years ago when it was proposed as a part of transport legislation of the time..?

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Where would they stay? We have a handful of decent hotels but lots of ex boarding houses that frankly are totally unsuitable as hotels in this day and age. Its one thing selling heritage but that should not include old fashioned rooms with very limited facilities.

I think flooding the market would create more long term harm. People would go home and tell friends that the hotels are rubbish and put off any more from coming. Bikers may put up with it but most wont.

Subsidies be for 'should season' periods to generate traffic, they're not necessary for high season

It'll be very interesting to see if IOMSPC is more adventurous in their marketing now they belong to us

Just now, Boris Johnson said:

Where would they stay? We have a handful of decent hotels but lots of ex boarding houses that frankly are totally unsuitable as hotels in this day and age. Its one thing selling heritage but that should not include old fashioned rooms with very limited facilities.

I think flooding the market would create more long term harm. People would go home and tell friends that the hotels are rubbish and put off any more from coming. Bikers may put up with it but most wont.

Well camping is a growing market apparently so plenty of those about.however take your point re accommodation, that would need prices reduced as well 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Then old hotels & guest houses - especially in the Lanes area of Douglas - should be redeveloped as private accommodation

Self-catering & 'glamping' is the more affordable option for a lot of the market

A bit of B&B around the island is good too

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Subsidies be for 'should season' periods to generate traffic, they're not necessary for high season

It'll be very interesting to see if IOMSPC is more adventurous in their marketing now they belong to us

Depends if they have a target profit to make to pay back the loans they have for purchase of business assets

1 minute ago, Boris Johnson said:

Re IOMSPC, How much cheaper do we expect them to be? They already do day returns for next to nothing and off peak with a car is not unreasonable either. You may have to start giving tourists "IOM Vouchers" like Jersey did to their own residents to get anyone over here.

Wonder if setting up a through ticket to Europe via Ireland would attract much custom?

There's now four ferry operators skirting round Cornwall to take Irish folks straight to the heart the heart of Europe -   Irish Ferries, Cobelfret (CLdN), Brittany Ferries and Stena Line

• Like 1