TT 2021 ??

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Wonder if setting up a through ticket to Europe via Ireland would attract much custom?

There's now four ferry operators skirting round Cornwall to take Irish folks straight to the heart the heart of Europe -   Irish Ferries, Cobelfret (CLdN), Brittany Ferries and Stena Line

Good idea, worth a shot.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only a few 2021 TT T-shirts left, just DM me please. £29.99 each. Stock list: S - 5,670 M - 6,220 L - 8,321 XL- 8,934 XXXXL - 20,567

Surely Alan means costs millions. DfE have people like Sheldon Hooper doing their theoretical estimations. The cost of house trams over the amount of money in the universe divided by the num

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Banker said:

I heard that at lunchtime. Could not believe A Wint saying  that it was a unique idea and great. That has been suggested for decades by hundreds of people. Why should all taxpayers subsidise the fares so a few hoteliers make money, that generally does not filter back into our economy. 
I would be a bit p***** o** if my taxes went to help some hopeless hoteliers afford to jet off to Spain for the winter. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I heard that at lunchtime. Could not believe A Wint saying  that it was a unique idea and great. That has been suggested for decades by hundreds of people. Why should all taxpayers subsidise the fares so a few hoteliers make money, that generally does not filter back into our economy. 
I would be a bit p***** o** if my taxes went to help some hopeless hoteliers afford to jet off to Spain for the winter. 

Quite a blinkered view to be honest. It’s a good idea and would have wider economic benefits. Not just hoteliers but taxi drivers, shops, restaurants, pubs, Manx National Heritage, MER, Steam Railway, the horse trams and just about everyone else. Longworth would have a real hardon about more people riding on his buses too. It’s worth discussing as part of a recovery strategy and actually wouldn’t automatically affect anyone’s taxes as SPC is a separate operating company owned by government. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

If it only costs £30 to get here, what does it cost to get back to England? If it is just as cheap you are probably straight into the legal problems of buying a return ticket from England, throwing away the getting-here bit, and just using the return segment.

(I once walked up a Swiss mountain with a companion. At the top, she made it clear there was not the slightest chance in hell of walking back down again. I think the price of a single journey on the cable car from the top was rather more expensive than a return from the valley)

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I heard that at lunchtime. Could not believe A Wint saying  that it was a unique idea and great. That has been suggested for decades by hundreds of people. 

Andy knows everything and if he hasn't heard about it then it didn't happen.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I have vague memories of vociferous Tynwald arguments against it some years ago when it was proposed as a part of transport legislation of the time..?

You could do a search through Hansard to find the moment you are trying to vaguely remember.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The Steam Packet shouldn't need subsidies.  If they have spare capacity, they should price and market those periods and sailings so as to encourage more use of them, but they shouldn't need to be paid to do so.  The Company has been pretty useless at this for as long as I can remember - the cash cows of the TT and the freight charges meant that they didn't really have to do anything to make big profits and they could just slumber away doing the same thing year to year without change and without reacting to changing conditions over and during the year. 

Maybe the experience of this year will spur them into more creativity when things get back to normal, but the fact that people are hoping for more innovation because they have been taken over by the Isle of Man Government, shows you how sluggish they have been in the past. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If it only costs £30 to get here, what does it cost to get back to England? If it is just as cheap you are probably straight into the legal problems of buying a return ticket from England, throwing away the getting-here bit, and just using the return segment.

This actually used to happen.  At one time the Steam Packet used to offer cheap day-return tickets (when it was possible to do a day return and have a decent amount of time to spend in Liverpool/Dublin/the Island.  They were actually less than half the price of an 'ordinary' return and so some people did exactly what you suggested. 

The Steamie reacted by interrogating any passengers who they suspected would not be returning the same day and sometimes even refusing them passage.  It meant no one ended up wanting to go on day trips for fear of something embarrassing happening. Typically the Company actually put far more effort into trying to detect those who they thought might be 'cheating' them, than they did in trying to get more people to use the boats.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Steamie reacted by interrogating any passengers who they suspected would not be returning the same day and sometimes even refusing them passage.  It meant no one ended up wanting to go on day trips for fear of something embarrassing happening. Typically the Company actually put far more effort into trying to detect those who they thought might be 'cheating' them, than they did in trying to get more people to use the boats.

Sounds a bit like the interrogation you get when you take or come over in a van that you have declared is not being used for commercial purposes. I am sure some of them have been trained in North Korea. It really makes you feel like you have done something wrong even when you haven't.

A few years ago when I came back from dropping my daughter at uni, they asked what was in the back of the van and I said empty packing boxes which I explained were from the drop at uni halls. Not content with that explanation and the quite obviously thrown in the back look of empty cardboard boxes they turned over and opened up each cardboard box in turn until they were satisfied they were all empty...……………………..

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Wonder if setting up a through ticket to Europe via Ireland would attract much custom?

It's not a practical travel plan but it might appeal to the kind of people who like to romantically imagine that the island has closer cultural and economic relations with Ireland than with Merseyside. Me included sometimes.

But honestly I'd rather quickly drive to Folkestone and put the car on the train. VS umpteen hours at sea. And, presumably, vice versa.

Edited by pongo

Obviously there are genetic links for some of us with Ireland, but the IOM has had ties with both Merseyside and Ireland for over a thousand years through the Dublin Vikings, the latter given the Wirral peninsula by - I think - Queen Matilda of Mercia to protect against Viking raiding from further north

The no doubt lengthy ferry journey from Ireland to Europe would appeal to those who'd rather lay up in a cabin than spend a day driving through England

2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Obviously there are genetic links for some of us with Ireland, but the IOM has had ties with both Merseyside and Ireland for over a thousand years

Yes. And with everywhere else. Because everything and everyone is connected by only a few degrees on planet earth.