Looking at the average TT fan's (and marshal's) age demographic and the situation in UK (easily forgotten given our status) - chances of it going ahead without yet another of Trumpy or Bojo's miracle vaccines? Sweet FA IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

It’s another element of our future which we are going to have to come to terms with if the event is not going to run next year. If it doesn’t, then we are in an interesting position on a number of lev

Nobody with any appreciation of how the pandemic is progressing and how Governments, media and the brainwashed populations perceive it would think that there was a possibility of TT happening in June

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Banker said:

The island games costs a lot of money for competitors and hosts so easy decision whereas TT makes money so not so easy to cancel as Howie & Alf will have to pump more money in

If we look at the way things are going to the wall across, there must be a question as to whether many of the teams will continue to exist. Everything below premier league football is struggling as a comparison, wth clubs likely to go to the wall unless the big clubs siphon some cash away.

There might actually be more hope for the MGP privateer still being in the frame. But pulling together the infrastructure just for that would be a big ask. As others have rightly pointed out, the marshaling is a big element of risk within the future viability of both events. I’m sure the organizers and motor sports teams are having sleepless nights trying to work all of this out, and I hope that they come up with something. A couple of years pause might not be recoverable?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

If we look at the way things are going to the wall across, there must be a question as to whether many of the teams will continue to exist. Everything below premier league football is struggling as a comparison, wth clubs likely to go to the wall unless the big clubs siphon some cash away.

There might actually be more hope for the MGP privateer still being in the frame. But pulling together the infrastructure just for that would be a big ask. As others have rightly pointed out, the marshaling is a big element of risk within the future viability of both events. I’m sure the organizers and motor sports teams are having sleepless nights trying to work all of this out, and I hope that they come up with something. A couple of years pause might not be recoverable?

If TT doesn’t happen next year I think it may be over as a lot of hotels etc will have closed permanently with zero income for well over 12 months.

if it does go ahead Government will have to pay costs of marshals and other volunteers from UK to get them over

As reported today ion the local newspaper website

The  2021 island Games have been called off because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The event for small islands across the world was due to be held in Guernsey between 3 and 9 July, with 3,500 competitors and officials, and 1,000 volunteers set to be involverd.

Zero chance of any motorcycle action next year over here.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Zero chance of any motorcycle action next year over here.

Which has been the case for months. Quayle et al are simply delaying announcing the inevitable to avoid the ire of the hospitality industry and biker lobby.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Which has been the case for months. Quayle et al are simply delaying announcing the inevitable to avoid the ire of the hospitality industry and biker lobby.

Trouble is we are not helping ourselves whatsoever. In other articles relating to the Island Games, the organisers are taking an approach that competitors are coming from wide and far, expense of accommodation and competing, against an environment of a worldwide pandemic, whereby in all honesty, we may have to live with this virus for some to come - possible small pockets/outbreaks - in cities in the U.K. and overseas. This pandemic is like the Spanish Flu of 1919, which lasted well over a year. 

I would say the biker lobby * are sensible, unfortunately the hotel/hospitality industry are reluctant to adapt or change, or be creative. I don’t believe that that there would be or should be a TT fortnight next year. Perhaps it should be pencilled in for August/September as a loose event, trying to fit in racing. If there is a chance of some tourists, well it’s a bonus. Maybe by 2022 the pandemic may have dissipated and blown its out?

* Realistic, and many bikers watch motorcycle races both on the IOM and many follow racing ,such as moto gp 

Edited by 2112

If its true that the decision to cancel has been made then I refer to the very start of this thread. We need bold leaders who are able to make difficult decisions and communicate with the electorate. Dithering and delaying does not do it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things change quickly, in February nobody thought we would be in this situation a month later. It would be stupid to declare at such an early stage when there is still the slim possibility that it could go ahead, even if it's in August/September. What's the problem with being optimistic, it doesn't cost anything? Or is it just the usual knockers who want to see the event and our tourism sector deeper in the crap? Don't worry about marshals, pectators and officials, they will be here because unlike some, they are enthusiastic and have been starved of their event!" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the big problems is that hotels, and Steam Packet, will have rolled over their bookings from this year to next.

There are a lot of people hanging on in the hope that something will still happen next year.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

One of the big problems is that hotels, and Steam Packet, will have rolled over their bookings from this year to next.

There are a lot of people hanging on in the hope that something will still happen next year.

That's a lot of it I think.  Leave it late enough and maybe stuff can be rolled over till 2022.  Cancel it now and people will want their money back.  Probably being driven more by the Steam Packet than the hoteliers - only about 20% of TT visitors actually stay in hotels and guest houses.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NoTail said:

We need bold leaders who are able to make difficult decisions and communicate with the electorate. Dithering and delaying does not do it for me.

Never a truer word spoken. And unfortunately the problem starts with the lack of public scrutiny that we all should be demanding. Decisions are being made behind closed doors and noo-one wants to put their heads above the parapet for fear of retribution / loss of career. If we want bold leaders then it starts with us, the public. I nag my MHK on a weekly basis.

There is a fine line between being a bold leader and forging into the unknown with indecent haste, because the unknown is what we are dealing with.  Our decisions as well are based on what is happening in the UK and further afield events we have no control over.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
7 hours ago, NoTail said:

If its true that the decision to cancel has been made then I refer to the very start of this thread. We need bold leaders who are able to make difficult decisions and communicate with the electorate. Dithering and delaying does not do it for me.

Well too many on here like ND think anything Howie does is great so they can get away with not making decisions whilst too many followers worship his Covid-19 stance to isolate IOM

The perception that it can be left to about 3 months beforehand to decide whether TT happens, or not is just rubbish-talk and betrays, perhaps, how little our CM actually knows about the event. A decision will have to be made very early in the New Year about June. I suspect that the most sensible decision will be to move TT to August with the Classic races.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well too many on here like ND think anything Howie does is great so they can get away with not making decisions whilst too many followers worship his Covid-19 stance to isolate IOM

Don’t bring me into this. Howie  is a twat of the first order