31 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

They really shouldn't be spending any money on those sorts of facilities. 

We've got enough to bw concerned about financially.  The TT is unlikely to be back here until 2022.  Even then you could debate the long term future of it which seems to be on borrowed time anyway.  Talk of scoreboards, new grandstands etc are concerning.

In the bigger picture of a new bridge versus the current set up - I cannot see why it should be done.  A very small segment of people benefit for what is a small proportion of the entire year that the road is closed.   

When where going to re-build the access road, i thought that was planned for next year ?

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only a few 2021 TT T-shirts left, just DM me please. £29.99 each. Stock list: S - 5,670 M - 6,220 L - 8,321 XL- 8,934 XXXXL - 20,567

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

Biggest issue I would say is going to be a PR disaster. The return of deposits and carry over bookings. I honestly feel theres no way that the 2021 TT can go ahead due to many reasons not least availa

Posted Images

If they are building a new grandstand why not move the whole lot toward Nobles Park- i.e. back from where it is, re align the road and then there would be plenty of room for a ramp on the graveyard side?

Talking of new grandstands - This MUST be built with a view to using it for other things for when the inevitable happens and the TT is no more.

Car park to Greenfield Rd would seem a sensible option? That junction is on the improvement list.

The hill may be problem for manual chairs?

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

If they are building a new grandstand why not move the whole lot toward Nobles Park- i.e. back from where it is, re align the road and then there would be plenty of room for a ramp on the graveyard side?

Talking of new grandstands - This MUST be built with a view to using it for other things for when the inevitable happens and the TT is no more.

Or, just don’t build a replacement. It’s not broken and will see the bike racing out easily. Complete waste of money.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Any future investment in physical structures which are solely for the TT should be made after a thorough and thoughtful assessment of the likely return on the investment. This must include a realistic consideration of the lifespan of the event, rather than avoiding the issue by just assuming it will go on forever. This does not mean that investment in the event should not be made but needs to be tailored to a cautious assessment of the likely period when the investment will see returns. So, plans for an expensive new Grandstand, for example, with a return on investment period of 30+ years should be treated with extreme caution. A cheaper structure with a return on the investment of, say 10-15 years might present better value. I am not wishing the TT away at all; I just think that taxpayer money needs to be protected from wishful and foolish assumptions.

As someone else said, a Grandstand that has some genuine multi-use function might justify a long term investment, provided that the other uses are not just more wishful and untested thinking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, joebean said:

Any future investment in physical structures which are solely for the TT should be made after a thorough and thoughtful assessment of the likely return on the investment. This must include a realistic consideration of the lifespan of the event, rather than avoiding the issue by just assuming it will go on forever. This does not mean that investment in the event should not be made but needs to be tailored to a cautious assessment of the likely period when the investment will see returns. So, plans for an expensive new Grandstand, for example, with a return on investment period of 30+ years should be treated with extreme caution. A cheaper structure with a return on the investment of, say 10-15 years might present better value. I am not wishing the TT away at all; I just think that taxpayer money needs to be protected from wishful and foolish assumptions.

As someone else said, a Grandstand that has some genuine multi-use function might justify a long term investment, provided that the other uses are not just more wishful and untested thinking.

Not going to happen. The Gov. have killed rallying for ever and put all their eggs in a flimsy basket. The bikes are on a very limited timeframe, say 5 years max. Time to call a halt to the  Grandstand fiasco. It is slipping quickly into history.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 years ago there were many people saying that the foot and mouth would end the TT forever. The momentum would be broken and it would not be able to restart. Ever.

Then when those same or similar people found they were wrong, they started bleating that the centenary would be the last ever TT. Lots of reasons were quoted, including the inevitable H & S.

Both times it wasn't beyond possibility that the TT would end. But it's got stronger. I saw a Youtube today of general TT action. It had over 70million views. There were many similar videos with 10s of million views. The TT is big.

I can't see TT happening 2021, certainly not as we know it, but whatever happens of course the TT will return.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Barlow said:

20 years ago there were many people saying that the foot and mouth would end the TT forever. The momentum would be broken and it would not be able to restart. Ever.

Then when those same or similar people found they were wrong, they started bleating that the centenary would be the last ever TT. Lots of reasons were quoted, including the inevitable H & S.

Both times it wasn't beyond possibility that the TT would end. But it's got stronger. I saw a Youtube today of general TT action. It had over 70million views. There were many similar videos with 10s of million views. The TT is big.

I can't see TT happening 2021, certainly not as we know it, but whatever happens of course the TT will return.

Yes, of course it will. And those predictions 20 and 13 years ago were wrong, 20 and 13 years ago. Since then things in the world have moved on and motor racing, in all its forms, has moved on with it. However, one thing that has not moved on is that most motor racing is still oil dependent, although "sustainable" energy is developing as an alternative. Motor racing is going to change and with it will the events currently on offer. The TT is not even embracing this change any more.

I am a fan of the racing as it is, but I am of the age where the internal combustion engine is all I have known and probably, all I will know in terms of personal transport. In 10 years time things will have moved on a bit more and events such as the TT, that rely on its own particular brand of spectacle, are going to have to adapt to survive. I am not sure, right now, how it is going to adapt to meet the challenge of change or whether it will just slip into a heritage event, with the naturally dwindling audience that attracts. The jury is out on its long-term future. I admire your optimism but don't think that taxpayer investment should be based on an unblinking acceptance of it. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 3

Fair enough points joe.

Regarding taxpayer investment, that is up to the government of the day. 

Have you ever seen a Keys candidate who is not pro TT? There have been one or two anti-TT (for various reasons) but those who were successful were smart enough to pass little or no comment on their thoughts about the TT. And they were not originally from the Island (is that relevant? Well, yes it is).

So it's down to the will of the people and I would say that is overwhelming in support of the TT. I'm not sure what it will take to change that. Maybe the fallout from Covid-19 will play some part?

44 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Have you ever seen a Keys candidate who is not pro TT? There have been one or two anti-TT (for various reasons) but those who were successful were smart enough to pass little or no comment on their thoughts about the TT. And they were not originally from the Island (is that relevant? Well, yes it is).

So it's down to the will of the people and I would say that is overwhelming in support of the TT. I'm not sure what it will take to change that. Maybe the fallout from Covid-19 will play some part?

I don't actually think that "the will of the people [...] is overwhelming in support of the TT".  I think it's much more varied and ambiguous that that.  The problem is that politicians only hear the more vociferous and extreme views from either side - this is true about all political topics of course.  

• Like 3

I wonder if thought has been given to a temporary pit/grandstand infrastructure as per other street circuits? e.g Monaco, Albert Park. 

Start erecting it in March then take it down post-MGP.

• Like 2