• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least the promenade will be finished by then.

Biggest issue I would say is going to be a PR disaster. The return of deposits and carry over bookings. I honestly feel theres no way that the 2021 TT can go ahead due to many reasons not least availa

Oh no it isn't... 

Posted Images

Just now, Boris Johnson said:

Not my place to say, it will be in the public domain soon enough.

if you know about it then presumably others do which means it's pretty much in the public domain now

35 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Rob Callister will fight to the end to make it happen but it would be better to announce now that it will not happen and everyone would know where they were up to and hopefully concentrate on the Manx Grand Prix, or whatever they are calling it these days.   We need some certainty in life at the minute and the will it won’t it scenario will help no one.

May well be that they will combine the TT and MGP to run in August. I believe RC is working hard at making sure that something happens so that we don't have a year of no racing again

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

if you know about it then presumably others do which means it's pretty much in the public domain now

Most likely but that is not the main point, the point is the TT is off, it should be announced soon to let others plan what they are doing too.

• Like 1
Just now, Boris Johnson said:

Most likely but that is not the main point, the point is the TT is off, it should be announced soon to let others plan what they are doing too.

Having spoken to others (not RC) involved in the organising, at this point in time it is almost definitely not off. How it progresses however...

1 minute ago, Boris Johnson said:

Have to agree to differ then.

For no other reason than a boost to small businesses. I hope I prove to be right. Time will tell

40 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Having spoken to others (not RC) involved in the organising, at this point in time it is almost definitely not off. How it progresses however...

As is my understanding too.

• Like 1

There is no way anyone with any clout is going to say "TT 2021 is definitely off"
There is no way anyone with any clout is going to say "TT 2021 is definitely on"

I suppose the nearest anyone can say just now is "TT2021 is almost definitely not off". Which is like being almost a little bit pregnant, I suppose.

• Haha 1

Even if I had not been told what I was told, think about it logically.

• Marshals - demographic is the perfect age to get the worst cases of Covid, polls in the UK has found that age group will not be holidaying until a vaccine is found.
  • Nobles - we cant risk filling it with bikers and import covid too
  • Nobles - it is already  behind with planned operations etc, another TT will put them another 3 weeks or more behind, maybe more? Wrighty?
  • Fans - Staying in unsanitary close quarters, read tents, with others is a really good way of spreading/ catching it.
  • Fans - Getting here - planes? I would not get on a full plane at the moment unless I was going to a hospital for treatment
  • Fans - Getting here - Boat? socially distanced you cut the capacity to uneconomic levels
  • Fans - drinking in pubs/ Bushys type establishments - Socially distancing not going to happen, it does not in the UK - it would go through the island like a hot knife through butter.

I may sound like I don't think the border should open, I do, think it should open, but not for the TT. It brings the worst type of tourist in a Covid spreading way in my opinion.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2

It’s another element of our future which we are going to have to come to terms with if the event is not going to run next year. If it doesn’t, then we are in an interesting position on a number of levels. Lack of course familiarity of riders, deterioration of skills of officials, changes on the palatability of risk. 

Maybe the future lies in a “Revival” festival, with a racing schedule split between Billown, a re- engineered Willaston and Jurby, with a ‘parade day’ celebrating the Mountain course at parade speeds thus reducing the marshaling burden. It could be much more inclusive and attract a wider clientele. We could have such a plan “oven ready” for use even after a hiatus of several years. 

Just a thought 

• Like 7
23 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s another element of our future which we are going to have to come to terms with if the event is not going to run next year. If it doesn’t, then we are in an interesting position on a number of levels. Lack of course familiarity of riders, deterioration of skills of officials, changes on the palatability of risk. 

Maybe the future lies in a “Revival” festival, with a racing schedule split between Billown, a re- engineered Willaston and Jurby, with a ‘parade day’ celebrating the Mountain course at parade speeds thus reducing the marshaling burden. It could be much more inclusive and attract a wider clientele. We could have such a plan “oven ready” for use even after a hiatus of several years. 

Just a thought 

This is where I think it may go this year, with the event timing to slip to later in the year. It’s success or otherwise may inform how it develops in future. I think the days of ever faster speeds and attracting the current racing stars is coming to an end. Personally I think the mountain course will end up being the preserve of occasional classic racing, parade laps and relatively slow (safe) modern lightweights, with smaller races and bolt on festival events. 

• Like 1