Slagging off PSM is a criminal offense!

I think it's more about newspaper headlines being retarded tbh.

" shouted derogatory terms about Port St Mary AND THE POLICE."

"He admitted being drunk and disorderly"

"abusive behaviour and him refusing to get off."

"has a number of previous alcohol-related offences and was arrested on a warrant after failing to turn up for court last week."

Although he is right about PSM.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lucky he was only pissed and shouting. If he'd spewed up they'd have sentenced him to a term as President.

He was a good mate of mine when we were at school. He was in the top sets of everything. Really intellegent. Then we went our seperate ways and I didn't see him for the best part of 30yrs. The first t

If they apply the same rule to Douglas, the courts would be full

56 minutes ago, Lagman said:

What if their issues are just being a bit of a twat?

We would have to lock up a lot more people than we do......

• Like 4

Southfork said:

"That issue is being a hopeless alcoholic for which there is a cure and should be support. "

A cure for alcoholism on this Island? Not really.

As I have been told by someone in the medical sector alcoholism is a big issue over here, suggesting 20% of adults are dependent. It costs the health service a huge amount.

The main treatment is the AA 12 Steps. Essentially pure force of will. Success rate a generous 5%

(Anabuse is just cruel. Benzodiazepines are prescribed, not good.)

Bill Wilson, AA founder, published a research paper in 1955. He recommended Niacin, Thiamine, and something else. Success rate said to be 45%.

These days even higher rates of success can be achieved with slightly different drugs. Similar treatments also work for other neurological disorders.

Treating the biochemistry of the brain is the way to go. Force of will does not normally work.

Maybe in another 20 years or more this will be known and applied.

Update, did some more reading:

"Tobacco and alcohol are the largest sources of preventable death in the world. Our current treatments are only 15% effective at best. However, <snip>-assisted therapy has achieved an astonishing 80% success rate in clinical trials. Professor Matthew Johnson is paving the way for this new an innovative treatment to address one of the most damaging social burdens of modern society, drug addiction. It is important to note that Professor Johnson’s research is not looking at casual habitual smokers, but instead, long-term, treatment resistant tobacco users."

Edited by philwebs
More info.
  • Like 1

Could well be right.

1 hour ago, philwebs said:

Bill Wilson, AA founder, published a research paper in 1955. He recommended Niacin, Thiamine, and something else. Success rate said to be 45%.

I've never known an alcoholic Cat!!!   :P

Edited by Kopek

The fact that we’ve had around 8 drug and alcohol strategies in the last 20 years strongly points to the fact that the problem is government and it’s numerous failed strategies that is the issue - and every time an independent charity comes in to try to help government fucks them out and then ends up setting it’s own version of the service because, as we know, the solution to all these social problems is more civil servants working 9-5 for 5 days a week on mega salaries not people who actually care about the thing that’s the problem working pro bono. But the comment is right above. We always prefer to bang people up in jail rather than try to help them help themselves because this is the IOM and nothing is about helping anyone other than people who work for government helping themselves to more jobs. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, 2bees said:

20% is saying one in five is dependent on alcohol here, surely not. I know loads of people and only one person who has a serious drink problem. Crazy stuff.

I've got a drink problem. Have you seen the Brewery price list....?

Port St Mary used to be one of the prettiest villages on the Island. I've watched it go downhill for the last forty odd years, and there's been nothing to reverse that decline in all that time. A complete failure of local and central government. Ditto Castletown. Other towns and villages have fared little better. But for much of that time the Island was awash with money, new business, housing development, new residents, low unemployment etc. All government could do was to blow tax revenues on vanity projects and creating a huge public bureaucracy.

This fella had a point.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Port St Mary used to be one of the prettiest villages on the Island. I've watched it go downhill for the last forty odd years, and there's been nothing to reverse that decline in all that time. A complete failure of local and central government.

Totally agree , but what has Port Erin seems to have faired better than PSM ?

On the alcohol issue, in my book,  there is none better than the current Consultant in that service. 

4 hours ago, 2bees said:

20% is saying one in five is dependent on alcohol here, surely not. I know loads of people and only one person who has a serious drink problem. Crazy stuff.

I'd say 20% was a tad on the low side!

4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The fact that we’ve had around 8 drug and alcohol strategies in the last 20 years strongly points to the fact that the problem is government and it’s numerous failed strategies that is the issue - and every time an independent charity comes in to try to help government fucks them out and then ends up setting it’s own version of the service because, as we know, the solution to all these social problems is more civil servants working 9-5 for 5 days a week on mega salaries not people who actually care about the thing that’s the problem working pro bono. But the comment is right above. We always prefer to bang people up in jail rather than try to help them help themselves because this is the IOM and nothing is about helping anyone other than people who work for government helping themselves to more jobs. 

Do you mean the charities set up to help anyone at all as long as Government backs them with cash ? If so,  I know who you mean.

19 hours ago, 2bees said:

That you're aware of.

Probably a lot of high functioning alcoholics

• Like 1