Slagging off PSM is a criminal offense!

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Do you mean the charities set up to help anyone at all as long as Government backs them with cash ? If so,  I know who you mean.

Terribly cynical of you!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lucky he was only pissed and shouting. If he'd spewed up they'd have sentenced him to a term as President.

He was a good mate of mine when we were at school. He was in the top sets of everything. Really intellegent. Then we went our seperate ways and I didn't see him for the best part of 30yrs. The first t

If they apply the same rule to Douglas, the courts would be full

4 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

That you're aware of.

Probably a lot of high functioning alcoholics

Well there's the old definition of an alcoholic being someone who drinks more than their doctor.  But the real problem here is that there is a tendency to regard this as a simple binary opposition (alcohol/not alcoholic) rather than a continuum of behaviour that may need a variety of responses - including doing nothing.  To some extent organisations like AA have perpetrated this sort of binary division and charities tend to move the dividing line to include as big a percentage as possible for various reasons, some virtuous or even useful.

• Like 4
On 9/12/2020 at 3:25 PM, philwebs said:

Southfork said:

"That issue is being a hopeless alcoholic for which there is a cure and should be support. "

A cure for alcoholism on this Island? Not really.

As I have been told by someone in the medical sector alcoholism is a big issue over here, suggesting 20% of adults are dependent. It costs the health service a huge amount.

The main treatment is the AA 12 Steps. Essentially pure force of will. Success rate a generous 5%

Alcoholism is an interesting topic in and of itself deserving a whole thread.

I personally have been teetotal my entire life except for a one year period when I was driven to it by someone else. I thankfully have a very strong will and was able to stop and return to being teetotal. There's nothing good in alcohol. I find people who are drunk obnoxious and would happily support prohibition if I thought it could be achieved (it can't).

I think 20% is probably true right now. It's not hard to believe when you also consider estimates of 25% of young people have considered ending their lives during this whole covid lockdown and economic devastation it has caused.

Edited by ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat
5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

pfft!

I stand by my comment. Alcohol is a vile drink and turns many people vile (or more vile) and causes them to be abusive to children and then there is incalculable damage caused to those children which carry on with them through to adulthood. It's very sad. Alcohol should not be glorified. 

Edited by ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat
  • Like 1

AA has always seemed a lot like a cult to many people. But the fundamental criticisms of the 12-step business model run much deeper.

Cult or cure: the AA backlash | The Independent

Caroline (not her real name), 39, took four years to break away from AA and looks back with loathing at what she now sees as its self-serving and coercive methods. "I had doubts from the start but I carried on because, at the time, I had very low self-esteem and no confidence. AA only works if you're prepared to take it on as a religion. I should know, I was brought up a Jehovah's Witness until I was 18 and the similarities are astounding."

The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous - Its faith-based 12-step program dominates treatment in the United States. But researchers have debunked central tenets of AA doctrine and found dozens of other treatments more effective.

12-Step Thinking: Let’s Talk About AA and the C-Word

"After a year with AA, you're like a Moonie and you're probably in a relationship with another AA member," says James. "By the end of your second year, you are definitely cured of your physical addiction, but not the underlying causes - and AA does nothing about this. It merely replaces one dependency with another. The AA approach is authoritarian and fascistic, which is very effective when it's getting you to stop taking your drug of choice. With any addiction, that is the most urgent need initially; you have to stop killing yourself. But then, at some stage, you have to break away. Once you've been clean for, say, two years, you should move on to therapy. You have to get away from the AA paternal structure that may have been missing in your childhood. People use addiction as a substitute for intimate relations and AA cleverly provides an intimate relationship."

Edited by pongo
3 hours ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

Alcoholism is an interesting topic in and of itself deserving a whole thread.

Feel free. You have stated some interesting views already, not that I agree with them, but maybe warrant further explanation. 

5 hours ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

I stand by my comment. Alcohol is a vile drink and turns many people vile (or more vile) and causes them to be abusive to children and then there is incalculable damage caused to those children which carry on with them through to adulthood. It's very sad. Alcohol should not be glorified. 

Yet those that smoke the odd spliff are hounded by lazy arsed plod