This day 19 years ago

So, 19 years ago the missus and I were driving to Leeds and the 2 o’clock news said a plane had crashed into one of the World trade centre towers. We then listened to the Archers (there were problems with the pigs) and when it had finished there was another news flash about a 2nd plane. We switched to 5live and I had to stop driving when the first tower fell. We ended up in a pub in a working class area of Leeds glued to Sky News as the second one came down.

And you?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a picture of Steve Coogan.

Sat at work not quite believing what we were seeing

But there's so many of these conspiracy theories, for every major tragic event. Some people (mostly white males) want answers, closure, and an explanatory framework. They can't accept the randomness o

Posted Images

Watched it round at a friends the day before I had an interview for a new job. It was all very surreal like a movie unfolding in front of your eyes. I was pre-booked to go to NYC 2 weeks after the event, but we cancelled. One of those etched in your memory events.

52 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Sat at work not quite believing what we were seeing

My wife  phoned me to say she thought a plane had hit the twin towers. Turned the tv on just in time to see the second one hit
I still find if very emotional and actually have tears running down my cheeks watching it again. I will never be ashamed of that.

Has to be the most shocking and heart wrenching moment in my life.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There are still plenty of conspiracy nutters about too. You can fool the U.S. Federal Government and Judiciary but you can't fool these conspiracy boys. The anniversary has brought them out of their holes again.

Problem is SMJ, there appears to be a lot of truth in what the conspiracy boys are saying

But there's so many of these conspiracy theories, for every major tragic event. Some people (mostly white males) want answers, closure, and an explanatory framework. They can't accept the randomness of a chaotic world and believe that there's an underlying order to events. Conspiracies have been around for thousands of years but have been given impetus in recent decades by the collapse of democratic legitimacy in the West.    

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But there's so many of these conspiracy theories, for every major tragic event. Some people (mostly white males) want answers, closure, and an explanatory framework. They can't accept the randomness of a chaotic world and believe that there's an underlying order to events. Conspiracies have been around for thousands of years but have been given impetus in recent decades by the collapse of democratic legitimacy in the West.    

In some cases I would fully agree. However, in this case it's not the case. Too many questions remaining unanswered. Not forgetting of course that this was the launch of the war that Bush had been longing for. Bush has blood on his hands and not just in Afghanistan/Iraq etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So how did he get it past Congress; the Senate; Supreme Court; the Washington Post/New York Times etc. They're a tough crowd. Clinton had just been impeached and they still remember Nixon. How did Bush even get himself re-elected ? Did he fool everyone except the conspiracy chasers ?  

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So how did he get it past Congress; the Senate; Supreme Court; the Washington Post/New York Times etc. They're a tough crowd. Clinton had just been impeached and they still remember Nixon. How did Bush even get himself re-elected ? Did he fool everyone except the conspiracy chasers ?  

Bush needed a catalyst to start the war. What better way than a home attack by so called "terrorists"

• Haha 1

Remember it well, had all packed and was due to fly out to USA for a 3 week holiday the following day, when a neighbour stopped at my work and told me about the first plane, went straight home and watched it on the news channels in total disbelief. Watching the footage and hearing the planes engines pitch just before they hit the towers is a memory I couldn’t shift for years especially hearing easyJet’s planes engine whine which sounded similar that really spooked me.  Never been to USA since.

Edited by GreyWolf

I've no doubt about the planes that hit the WTC towers, how could there be? But I never understood how there was allegedly nothing left of the plane that hit the Pentagon. And the Carpark CCTV footage of the plane hitting the building that shows everything except the plane just before the impact explosion. It just leaves too many questions for me.

• Thanks 1