Let's go down the pub!

Max Power

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It all comes down to the cost of the product, prices in pubs keep increasing and people have been more conscious of this since lockdown when they bought their own alcohol in and drank it in the comfort of their own homes.   The old pubs were an oasis for the lonely, a meeting place for friends with lots always going on a bit of music, darts, pool plus a friendly landlord behind the bar and always a good discussion going on around the bar about how to put the world right.   Now they are soulless, rounds a thing of the past altogether too expensive.  Once pubs started selling food the whole concept changed.  Happy days all gone but not forgotten.

There are still some excellent pubs about who always seem busy, the Woodbourne, Thirsty pigeon & Sidings are great pubs in my opinion 

• Like 2

H&B's taste in pub decor is one thing (and have you noticed it's always the same pubs that get the makeovers?), but what makes a pub tick is its atmosphere. The atmosphere is created by people. If there's no people, there's no atmosphere. And most of their pubs are devoid of both these days. It's chicken and egg.

This started long before COVID. Only ten+ years ago the pubs were thronging, pavements outside were full. Remember Douglas Promenade on weekend nights? A myriad of bars and clubs with people making their way between them, taxis shuttling up and down the prom. Ramsey was busy, the Traf and quayside pubs were packed, Peel too.

Then the prices started to creep up, and have done continually. And the customers began to drop away, to where we are today. Empty pubs and derelict premises on the market (with covenant). A "few pence" short of £5 for a pint of lager. A bottle for the same price as four in the supermarket. Wine, shorts and mixers at the same price as a full bottle from elsewhere.

Now maybe there was an element of social change and attitude too but I know where I'd point the finger in the main. And it's not at the colour of the paint and the "trendy" bare floorboards.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

H&B's taste in pub decor is one thing (and have you noticed it's always the same pubs that get the makeovers?), but what makes a pub tick is its atmosphere. The atmosphere is created by people. If there's no people, there's no atmosphere. And most of their pubs are devoid of both these days. It's chicken and egg.

This started long before COVID. Only ten+ years ago the pubs were thronging, pavements outside were full. Remember Douglas Promenade on weekend nights? A myriad of bars and clubs with people making their way between them, taxis shuttling up and down the prom. Ramsey was busy, the Traf and quayside pubs were packed, Peel too.

Then the prices started to creep up, and have done continually. And the customers began to drop away, to where we are today. Empty pubs and derelict premises on the market (with covenant). A "few pence" short of £5 for a pint of lager. A bottle for the same price as four in the supermarket. Wine, shorts and mixers at the same price as a full bottle from elsewhere.

Now maybe there was an element of social change and attitude too but I know where I'd point the finger in the main. And it's not at the colour of the paint and the "trendy" bare floorboards.

Bring back sticky carpets I say!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Everywhere! Funny also how these places stank to high heaven if you went in them during the day yet wasn't noticeable of an evening.

You are so right. In the cave, it was the f***y you smelled, no5 the carpet.

Edited by dilligaf

On 9/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, hissingsid said:

he old pubs were an oasis for the lonely, a meeting place for friends with lots always going on a bit of music, darts, pool plus a friendly landlord b

You need the Bowling Green Sid. Don't expect any 'Yuppies' though!