Political Comeback

This should be interesting!

Former MHK David Quirk wants to make a political comeback.

He is to stand for in Onchan Commissioners in a by-election next month.

Mr Quirk became an MHK for the area in 2006 but lost his seat in the 2016 general election.

He had been a commissioner before that.

There is one vacancy for the board of Onchan Commissioners and a by-election will be held there on October 22 if anybody challenges Mr Quirk.

The deadline for candidates to declare they intend to stand is September 24.

Nomination forms are available at the commissioners’ offices.

Two seats also need to be filled on Douglas Council.

They are both for Derby Ward and follow the resignation of Colin Cain last year, and the death of former Mayor, Debbie Pitts, in January.

Voters will head to the polls on Thursday, October 15, if there are more than two candidates.

Boundary changes approved by Tynwald mean the Derby Ward area will cease to exist at the end of this term, which is May 1.

It’s part of wider plans to reduce the size of the local authority, which will see the number of councillors cut from 18 to 12.

Last month, council leader David Christian criticised the decision to hold a by-election for the area, calling it ’ludicrous’ and a ’complete waste of ratepayers’ money’.

Andrew Bentley - currently the sole representative of Derby Ward - said he could manage the constituency himself, before adding any newly-elected councillors would ’only have enough time to find the light switches’.

Candidates are now able to collect nomination papers from Douglas town hall until Monday, September 21.

i can see a lot of skullduggery, backstabbing, nitpicking coming out of this, and perhaps more comedy gold from Onchans finest.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quirkio wont be returning for his benefit. It will be because constituents keep on stopping him in the street and begging him to come back and sort the place out. 

Give it a rest FFS.  

He is a bit loose with his words, like Liverpool back four with the ball.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

This should be interesting!

Mr Quirk became an MHK for the area in 2006 but lost his seat in the 2016 general election.

He had been a commissioner before that.

There is one vacancy for the board of Onchan Commissioners and a by-election will be held there on October 22 if anybody challenges Mr Quirk.

The deadline for candidates to declare they intend to stand is September 24.

Nomination forms are available at the commissioners’ offices.

Two seats also need to be filled on Douglas Council.

They are both for Derby Ward and follow the resignation of Colin Cain last year, and the death of former Mayor, Debbie Pitts, in January.

Voters will head to the polls on Thursday, October 15, if there are more than two candidates.

Boundary changes approved by Tynwald mean the Derby Ward area will cease to exist at the end of this term, which is May 1.

It’s part of wider plans to reduce the size of the local authority, which will see the number of councillors cut from 18 to 12.

Last month, council leader David Christian criticised the decision to hold a by-election for the area, calling it ’ludicrous’ and a ’complete waste of ratepayers’ money’.

Andrew Bentley - currently the sole representative of Derby Ward - said he could manage the constituency himself, before adding any newly-elected councillors would ’only have enough time to find the light switches’.

Candidates are now able to collect nomination papers from Douglas town hall until Monday, September 21.

i can see a lot of skullduggery, backstabbing, nitpicking coming out of this, and perhaps more comedy gold from Onchans finest.

lets see how much money he wants to see spent on all the things he was whining about money not being spent on once he was ousted.

Why would anyone want to be an MHK next time round. Like most CM’s before him Quayle will just leave a very large shovel behind in his office. Yet another CM who has changed nothing and achieved nothing. I expect more than a few bail outs. It seems to me that the last few administrations just kick the big problems down the road. Unfortunately now we have the mother of all problems ( although this one not their fault ) and Quayle will do zilch and leave for the next administration to sort out. 

Apparently the tax payer is going to bail out hotels over the winter now. Why ? Who will come stay in them even when the IOM opens. Lots of hotels on the market now and let’s face would you stay in them or eat in them. I would not so let them go to the wall. Why should we bail them out?

• Like 5

If they could, government should order a moratorium on all commercial debt financing & let hospitality businesses close down for the duration if they don't have access to sufficient working capital to trade

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

If they could, government should order a moratorium on all commercial debt financing & let hospitality businesses close down for the duration if they don't have access to sufficient working capital to trade

Whaaaaaaaaat

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Banker said:

Obviously gearing up for another go at MHK next year!

Heard him on Mannin Line today saying when he was on Rushen or Malew Comms, they installed speed reading wires inBallasalla and he reckons a car  was clocked at 110 mph between the Whitestone and Clagh Vane  council est.( sp). FFS. It must have been Nigel Mansell in the Williams. That 5 mins on ML should stop him being elected alone.

• Like 1

If I owned a hotel I would mothball it, live in a couple of rooms and sit it out.   I would then sign on job seekers or go on the dole which would buy the food, the only bills would be rates and electric.   It probably costs the hotels that are open more money to keep them operating than they receive from guests.   Taking a year off would probably improve my health, give me time to think of how I could improve different aspects of running the hotel in the future etc. borrowing money to keep afloat is not the best idea.  Flogging a dead horse is an unrealistic approach to the problem.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
30 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If I owned a hotel I would mothball it, live in a couple of rooms and sit it out.   I would then sign on job seekers or go on the dole which would buy the food, the only bills would be rates and electric.  

Yes because nobody has a mortgage ever. Or bookings they have to refund or defer to next year, or contracts they have to honour, or anything else. I’m not sure you’re fully qualified to run your theoretical hotel. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
56 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If I owned a hotel I would mothball it, live in a couple of rooms and sit it out.   I would then sign on job seekers or go on the dole which would buy the food, the only bills would be rates and electric.   

I'm not an expert but I think it would be doubtful they would receive any money from the dole with such an asset. Might get the stamp paid, but that's about it.

15 hours ago, 2112 said:

If Mr Quirk is really serious about being an Onchan Commissioner again,

then he could start with this

https://www.onchan.org.im/uploads/housing-review-report-december-2019-saved-051219.pdf

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Heard him on Mannin Line today saying when he was on Rushen or Malew Comms, they installed speed reading wires inBallasalla and he reckons a car  was clocked at 110 mph between the Whitestone and Clagh Vane  council est.( sp). FFS. It must have been Nigel Mansell in the Williams. That 5 mins on ML should stop him being elected alone.

David McWilliams?

• Thanks 1