Political Comeback

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quirkio wont be returning for his benefit. It will be because constituents keep on stopping him in the street and begging him to come back and sort the place out. 

Give it a rest FFS.  

He is a bit loose with his words, like Liverpool back four with the ball.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Declan said:

I don't understand the question.

I just meant that Douglas is the largest town, the retail, entertainment, financial centre. It's the public transport hub. Greater Douglas (Douglas, Onchan, Braddan) is probably half the island's population. It's the only major port. It has most of the Island's social problems. What effects Douglas impacts us all. Of course politicans should focus on it.

The problem lies in the possibility that if one area dominates completely, then politicians begin to focus on that to the active detriment of other areas; e.g. by disproportionately concentrating investment on the one area and outsourcing a lot of its problems to areas with little influence. 

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
18 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

The problem lies in the possibility that if one area dominates completely, then politicians being to focus on that to the active detriment of other areas; e.g. by disproportionately concentrating investment on the one area and outsourcing a lot of its problems to areas with little influence. 

Exactly

What politician in an Island wide vote is going to fight for the minority areas of the Island at the risk of getting voted out by Douglas and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy

• Like 1

There is a benefit in everywhere having it's own representative. But I suppose I'm having trouble visualising a situation when there would be a town vs country issue. Most things effect us all. In fact its starting to sound like typical Ramsey paranoia to me and that's rather troubling in the future honourable member for down North.

If anything I would have thought there is a bigger risk in an all-Island ballot of someone being elected simply because they had lots of mates in a small area. That's my objection to an all-Island vote for the Keys is that the last few successful candidates will have very few votes. But that danger is more about extremists getting just enough votes to scrape in.

7 hours ago, Declan said:

There is a benefit in everywhere having it's own representative. But I suppose I'm having trouble visualising a situation when there would be a town vs country issue.

There are plenty of areas where such issues could crop up: the allocation of land for development, the siting of undesirable (or indeed desirable) facilities, or the relative levels of investment in infrastructure or local services, to name just a few.

On a more philosophical level, there's the question of representation.  In all-Island votes, it's questionable to what degree votes actually matter in smaller areas, so that while you might be pleased in one general election because a couple of the candidates you voted for got in, they don't really care about or represent you or your community because they can comfortably win elections with the support they already have in the Douglas/Onchan/Middle region—in effect, you don't really have any influence and might as well not even have a vote.

In fact its starting to sound like typical Ramsey paranoia to me

Tsch! Typically supercilious Southern nonsense! 

Ok, now that's out of everyone's system, what next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just when you thought Onchan Commissioners couldn't get any more entertaining:

There's been a misprint on the polling cards for the local authority by-election in Onchan next Thursday (22 Oct). 

Issued today (14 Oct), they say 'election to the house of keys' on the back, rather than to Onchan Commissioners. 

It also informs people to vote for no more than two candidates, however in this by-election there are only two in the contest, with one seat available.

They're having to reissue them at considerable expense.  Nobody ever seems to check anything.

Edited by Roger Mexico
21 hours ago, Declan said:

There is a benefit in everywhere having it's own representative. But I suppose I'm having trouble visualising a situation when there would be a town vs country issue. Most things effect us all. In fact its starting to sound like typical Ramsey paranoia to me and that's rather troubling in the future honourable member for down North.

If anything I would have thought there is a bigger risk in an all-Island ballot of someone being elected simply because they had lots of mates in a small area. That's my objection to an all-Island vote for the Keys is that the last few successful candidates will have very few votes. But that danger is more about extremists getting just enough votes to scrape in.

it's only paranoia if they aren't out to get you....