Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Political Comeback

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Thomas completely out classes most of those sort of people who contribute to Facebook anyway. Nice to see Callister ask friends to argue on his behalf on social media too. He seems to have a ring of really stupid people around him who will go into Facebook battles for him without question. But the fact is even if it’s £150 not £70 it’s still the cost of holding people to account in a democracy. I’m saddened to see things revert back to Eddie Teare’s nonsensical argument against Peter Karran over cost. When we spend £400 million a year paying for civil servants to exist. If questions to bring them to account now have to be costed in top it’s a very poor show. 

FFS I agree again

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quirkio wont be returning for his benefit. It will be because constituents keep on stopping him in the street and begging him to come back and sort the place out. 

Give it a rest FFS.  

He is a bit loose with his words, like Liverpool back four with the ball.

Posted Images

One or two people have clearly lost track of WHY questions need to be asked...

The issue is not the cost of answering them. Or the workload.

Perhaps we should dispense with it altogether in the name of comfort and an easy life. That would suit some people just fine.

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Thanks for that Roger, I for one wasn't aware of that.

#ClubTynwald - The Best Club in the World.

I saw this quote on the LinkedIn: 

"...Voice Recognition directly from Members' speech, to produce the essentially verbatim Official Report of Proceedings, known colloquially as Hansard."

Must be an upgrade. Wasn't there a previous Hansard that miraculously airbrushed out Eddie's Towel Head comment?

19 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

I see Mr Thomas responded to Rob on his facebook blog post. There's definitely no love lost there.

screencapture-facebook-Onchan-MHK-2020-0

Just what you want from your elected cloth heads, a public sparring session on shitebook...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

One or two people have clearly lost track of WHY questions need to be asked...

The issue is not the cost of answering them. Or the workload.

Perhaps we should dispense with it altogether in the name of comfort and an easy life. That would suit some people just fine.

But the reality is that if you’re a civil servant you’re paid by the public purse. If part of your job is to help answering a question submitted by a member of Parliament then that’s part of your job. You’ve already been paid to do it. So where does the £70 come from? It’s made up money as Thomas suggests. If you’re paid £50k a year then presumably part of that £50k a year is to help answer questions from the people that employ you (the taxpayer)? I’m sure their job descriptions probably cover that duty as part of their role too. So what is the claimed £70 for? Is that for being asked to do extra over what you’re already contracted to do as your actual job as a civil servant? It’s bollocks. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Confused 1
12 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

So what is the claimed £70 for? Is that for being asked to do extra over what you’re already contracted to do as your actual job as a civil servant? It’s bollocks. 

Well it's the opportunity cost of the CS time in researching and writing the response. If they didn't spend time answering the question they'd be doing something else. So you are right that £70 would still have been spent but on something else - the dilemma is whether that other work is more important than the question. I suspect rarely, but the MHKs should keep cost-effectiveness in mind before submitting a question. 

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

If they didn't spend time answering the question they'd be doing something else. 

Like what? :lol:

That is literally what some civil servants are employed to do. If you are a lawyer, an accountant or work in a CSP etc then you will have an appropriate charge out rate but this is what these civil servants are actually already paid to do as part of their job description. The £70 was made up by Eddie Teare to try to embarrass Peter Karran by suggesting he was costing the taxpayer money. He wasn’t. And neither is Thomas. Only an apparent idiot like Callister could publicly suggest that he was. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

Least we forget the best question in Tynwald history, The price of a stamp.

FFs it cost the taxpayer a £120 for Mr Callister to ask this question ( nearly 200 stamps)

when he could has asked via an email or even better looked it up on the Isle of man post office site.

He really wants to engage his brain before posting on his blog.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Like what? :lol:

That is literally what some civil servants are employed to do. If you are a lawyer, an accountant or work in a CSP etc then you will have an appropriate charge out rate but this is what these civil servants are actually already paid to do as part of their job description. The £70 was made up by Eddie Teare to try to embarrass Peter Karran by suggesting he was costing the taxpayer money. He wasn’t. And neither is Thomas. Only an apparent idiot like Callister could publicly suggest that he was. 

You really do have a personal axe to grind.... 

I didn’t make any personal observation in respect of the questions raised by Chris Thomas, MHK this month or last month. 

I simply made an observation that some of the questions being raised at the moment could have been answered via a simple email to the department in question. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

I didn’t make any personal observation in respect of the questions raised by Chris Thomas, MHK this month or last month. 

I simply made an observation that some of the questions being raised at the moment could have been answered via a simple email to the department in question. 

Like, as Holte End has pointed out above, the cost of a stamp.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think it is important to bear in mind that the purpose of asking question isn't to just get the answer.

I remember a particularly smug politician telling another politician they could have just walked down the corridor and asked the question to him personally rather than ask it in House of Keys. The retort got a few titters and guffaws from his mates but it just showed him and his mates to be rather stupid and ignorant as to the purposes of open questioning.

And once the cost of questions starts entering into it, then they have really lost the plot.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Then how would the information have ended up in the public domain? Which ones in particular did you feel could have been asked via email?  Did you feel some of the questions were set out to embarrass you? Like, as other observers have pointed out, you tried to embarrass Edge when she misspoke during a debate and you asked a question in the summer recess about the price of postage stamps.

Your lack of self awareness on this issue is staggering. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Wowww!   Extra large BOLD Font!   (Is this what they taught you at the taxpayer's media training course?)

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

But the answers wouldn't be in the public domain. Presumably, an email takes as long to research and respond to as Tynwld question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The necessity of asking questions in Tynwald just proves how closed the Manx political system is

Hope Mr Thomas will campaign for open government in his forthcoming re-election campaign

Each department of the government we pay for should be obliged to publish a blog or diary outlining their decisions & actions, open for Tynwald members and the public to pose questions