Political Comeback

1 hour ago, Rob Callister said:

You really do have a personal axe to grind.... 

I didn’t make any personal observation in respect of the questions raised by Chris Thomas, MHK this month or last month. 

I simply made an observation that some of the questions being raised at the moment could have been answered via a simple email to the department in question. 

I don’t have any axe to grind but sadly your blog turned up in my newsfeed and I had a quick skeet and your intention to have a dig at Thomas seemed fairly clear to me as a casual reader (PS: you even published his picture alongside it so how does that not count as a personal observation?). If that was not your intention then I’d maybe suggest that you use a better choice of words next time and perhaps not use a picture of the MHK you claim your not talking about immediately alongside your comments either as that makes it look like you’re appearing to name and shame a person for, in this instance, doing what I assume his constituents have asked him to do. Which is to ask questions (regardless of costs) in order to obtain information which is then published in the public domain.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quirkio wont be returning for his benefit. It will be because constituents keep on stopping him in the street and begging him to come back and sort the place out. 

Give it a rest FFS.  

He is a bit loose with his words, like Liverpool back four with the ball.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Declan said:

But the answers wouldn't be in the public domain. Presumably, an email takes as long to research and respond to as Tynwld question.

For sure, fob off, lying and plain ignoring are harder to carry out when a question is public

• Like 3

Chris Thomas questions are in a different class to those asked by most particularly the likes of Rob & Jason.

i think Rob is probably trying to keep well in with Howie & Ashy by trying to make some of awkward questions stop.

However all he has done is make himself look a Twerp

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Chris Thomas questions are in a different class to those asked by most particularly the likes of Rob & Jason.

i think Rob is probably trying to keep well in with Howie & Ashy by trying to make some of awkward questions stop.

However all he has done is make himself look a Twerp

The awkward questions were probably the ones attacking him or areas he looks after personally. I doubt it he is acting as an agent for CoMin. He's pretty transparent.

15 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The awkward questions were probably the ones attacking him or areas he looks after personally. I doubt it he is acting as an agent for CoMin. He's pretty transparent.

Well the questions asked ranged from Manx gas to Borders and the number of empty Brownfield sites Government have and not sure Callister is involved in any of those.

i do think he was trying to look smart & impress others which has backfired 

40 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well the questions asked ranged from Manx gas to Borders and the number of empty Brownfield sites Government have and not sure Callister is involved in any of those.

i do think he was trying to look smart & impress others which has backfired 

It wasn't Thomas's questions:

The Hon. Member for Arbory, Castletown and Malew (Mr Moorhouse) to ask the Chief Minister (Minister for the Cabinet Office) –

What actions are being taken by Ports Division to ensure that those people arriving on the Island by private plane or boat are adhering to landing requirements and what issues have occurred with arrivals since the Island moved to Stage 4 of the Government’s strategy on managing external links?

2. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Chief Minister –

How many times he has appointed an interim member to a Government Department; and what powers he used to do so?

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It wasn't Thomas's questions:

The Hon. Member for Arbory, Castletown and Malew (Mr Moorhouse) to ask the Chief Minister (Minister for the Cabinet Office) –

What actions are being taken by Ports Division to ensure that those people arriving on the Island by private plane or boat are adhering to landing requirements and what issues have occurred with arrivals since the Island moved to Stage 4 of the Government’s strategy on managing external links?

2. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Chief Minister –

How many times he has appointed an interim member to a Government Department; and what powers he used to do so?

What you quoted bear no resemblance to the ones I said Thomas asked which are in Tynwald site

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

What you quoted bear no resemblance to the ones I said Thomas asked which are in Tynwald site

Because it wasn't Thomas's questions... Did you not read my first point?

Specifically it was question two. Rob referred to himself as an interim appointment of the DoI. The answer:

"The appointment of a member to a Departments is made under section 2(1) of the Government Departments Act 1987, which states: 

The members of each Department (other than the Minister) shall be appointed by the Council of Ministers, and shall hold office during the pleasure of the Council of Ministers. 

Any references made to an appointment of a member to a Department on an interim basis would be in respect of the anticipated length of tenure or particular remit rather than the legal basis for the appointment. 

Consequently no members have been formally appointed to Departments on an interim basis by the Council of Ministers during this or any previous administration."

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Consequently no members have been formally appointed to Departments on an interim basis by the Council of Ministers during this or any previous administration."

Well looking at his average tenure anywhere if I was him I’d also be trying to fool people that the appointment was interim as well - it’s like preparing for the inevitable prospect of you being binned off in advance. 

• Like 1

Ive have been thinking about this voting people in things and when you think about it nearly all MHK’s are totally unsuited to the roles to which they are elevated. They have bugger all experience , sometimes they are terminally stupid but many are not. Clever , yes but inept. And then we are surprised when they mess everything up. I don’t know what the solution is. Bets on for the next bugger up I suppose.

Part of the solution is to give the voting public some say in who becomes CM & what goes into the programme for government

Another part of the solution couild be limiting government membership to 11 Keys members at max, with the remainer forming an official opposition

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

Ive have been thinking about this voting people in things and when you think about it nearly all MHK’s are totally unsuited to the roles to which they are elevated. They have bugger all experience , sometimes they are terminally stupid but many are not. Clever , yes but inept. And then we are surprised when they mess everything up. I don’t know what the solution is. Bets on for the next bugger up I suppose.

I think your mixing up how the CS instruct the ministers on who would be best suited for a role in their Department.

Knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Like 2