"Starting next month, all new source code repositories created on GitHub will be named "main" instead of "master" as part of the company's effort to remove unnecessary references to slavery and replace them with more inclusive terms."

Source

• Sad 1
  • kevster changed the title to The world is going mad
3 hours ago, kevster said:

"Starting next month, all new source code repositories created on GitHub will be named "main" instead of "master" as part of the company's effort to remove unnecessary references to slavery and replace them with more inclusive terms."

Source

I dread to think what this world holds for the next generation. Feeling sorry already for my kids.

My understanding is that the word "main" is a covert reference to "Spanish Main", that part of the Spanish Empire with coastlines on the Caribbean Sea or the Gulf of Mexico, and which was the scene of appalling human rights abuses, genocide and slavery.

Source 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, dilligaf said:

I dread to think what this world holds for the next generation. Feeling sorry already for my kids.

If you think changing a naming convention on a source control website is bad, you should see the state of the economy and environment!

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

If you think changing a naming convention on a source control website is bad, you should see the state of the economy and environment!

See today that a photo cropping program is seen as racist for apparently favouring white faces over black. Mental.

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

See today that a photo cropping program is seen as racist for apparently favouring white faces over black. Mental.

You'd have to link it, I can't seem to see anything about it.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Suggesting it has a racial bias isn't quite the same as suggesting it is racist. I don't think anyone is implying Twitter or its tool are racist, just that it doesn't do as good a job for non-white faces. Which ought to be fixed from a usability point of view if nothing else!

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Suggesting it has a racial bias isn't quite the same as suggesting it is racist. I don't think anyone is implying Twitter or its tool are racist, just that it doesn't do as good a job for non-white faces. Which ought to be fixed from a usability point of view if nothing else!

My terminology may be wrong, but I don’t care. You get what I was saying Shirley.

Just now, dilligaf said:

My terminology may be wrong, but I don’t care. You get what I was saying Shirley.

I do, but I don't think the story correlates with what you were getting at. This isn't part of some sort of PC crusade, it's the app doing a crap job when it comes to non-white faces. 

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I do, but I don't think the story correlates with what you were getting at. This isn't part of some sort of PC crusade, it's the app doing a crap job when it comes to non-white faces. 

On the news, it was implied that the program favoured white faces over black and was seen as discriminatory. That , to a simple guy like me , says someone thought it was racist. Simple as that. 

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

On the news, it was implied that the program favoured white faces over black and was seen as discriminatory. That , to a simple guy like me , says someone thought it was racist. Simple as that. 

I think something can favour white faces over black without being racist. Never attribute to malice etc :)

Just now, HeliX said:

I think something can favour white faces over black without being racist. Never attribute to malice etc :)

I know what you mean, but that is how scared people are now. They don’t only have to think twice. They have to wonder if people like Declan will be offended.:flowers:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I know what you mean, but that is how scared people are now. They don’t only have to think twice. They have to wonder if people like Declan will be offended.:flowers:

That’s a given

• Thanks 1