Jump to content

Emergency Services Hub


Recommended Posts

Do our Politicians and Senior Civil Servants not remember we are trying to claw our way out of an economic downturn? It seems not - now Dandy Dan Davies and Razor-sharp Cregeen are looking to build a 'HUB" that will accommodate all three of the emergency services. Is this the right time? Do they really need new premises? Do they really all need to be in the same place? It seems to me that to achieve that they would need a pretty huge site. Huge site = huge capital spend = chunky overspend.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/emergency-services-hub-to-replace-douglas-fire-station/

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May I suggest building a very expensive Police Station close to Douglas Town Centre with cell / holding facilities - possibly near the end of Walpole Avenue opposite the Bus Station.

Probably about £20 million in overspend...

Do our Politicians and Senior Civil Servants not remember we are trying to claw our way out of an economic downturn? It seems not - now Dandy Dan Davies and Razor-sharp Cregeen are looking to build a

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Do our Politicians and Senior Civil Servants not remember we are trying to claw our way out of an economic downturn? It seems not - now Dandy Dan Davies and Razor-sharp Cregeen are looking to build a 'HUB" that will accommodate all three of the emergency services. Is this the right time? Do they really need new premises? Do they really all need to be in the same place? It seems to me that to achieve that they would need a pretty huge site. Huge site = huge capital spend = chunky overspend.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/emergency-services-hub-to-replace-douglas-fire-station/

It seems to be all about spending money. Little else. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We sort of looked at this around 2006, siting ambulance and RPU at the QB alongside the fire station, when they were going to build one big roundabout. The architect engaged was not very good and couldn’t translate the fag packet sketches into something workable. In the end we put it in the too hard to do box, which was a shame because at the operational level we were beginning to work together much better than ever before. 

Douglas fire station is now compromised due to flooding. The sensible option is to move everything up to Glencrutchery and have a big police fire and ambulance hub on the old Vagas pitch, with parking on the subsequently flattened police station site. Close to ESJCR , arterial routes and all that, as long as clearways are maintained during TT etc. Police HQ is an old building. Custody can be left standing As that will be good for a design life of 60 yrs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

We sort of looked at this around 2006, siting ambulance and RPU at the QB alongside the fire station, when they were going to build one big roundabout. The architect engaged was not very good and couldn’t translate the fag packet sketches into something workable. In the end we put it in the too hard to do box, which was a shame because at the operational level we were beginning to work together much better than ever before. 

Douglas fire station is now compromised due to flooding. The sensible option is to move everything up to Glencrutchery and have a big police fire and ambulance hub on the old Vagas pitch, with parking on the subsequently flattened police station site. Close to ESJCR , arterial routes and all that, as long as clearways are maintained during TT etc. Police HQ is an old building. Custody can be left standing As that will be good for a design life of 60 yrs. 

Rather than Glencrutchery, wouldn’t a site by the hospital be more appropriate and logistically superior?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Rather than Glencrutchery, wouldn’t a site by the hospital be more appropriate and logistically superior?

It would be “Inside the course” . also it’s the fire response times that are critical. Glencrutchery fits well for Onchan, and a straight run through to Braddan or into town. 

I do hope they look at this strategically rather than a bit silo-ey as is often the way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

We sort of looked at this around 2006, siting ambulance and RPU at the QB alongside the fire station, when they were going to build one big roundabout. The architect engaged was not very good and couldn’t translate the fag packet sketches into something workable. In the end we put it in the too hard to do box, which was a shame because at the operational level we were beginning to work together much better than ever before. 

Douglas fire station is now compromised due to flooding. The sensible option is to move everything up to Glencrutchery and have a big police fire and ambulance hub on the old Vagas pitch, with parking on the subsequently flattened police station site. Close to ESJCR , arterial routes and all that, as long as clearways are maintained during TT etc. Police HQ is an old building. Custody can be left standing As that will be good for a design life of 60 yrs. 

Why  build anything inside the TT course? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It would be “Inside the course” . also it’s the fire response times that are critical. Glencrutchery fits well for Onchan, and a straight run through to Braddan or into town. 

I do hope they look at this strategically rather than a bit silo-ey as is often the way.

Fair point re. TT course, assuming it survives this current mess. Are there any other police stations that could accommodate everyone if it were to be built on top of the existing HQ, or are you suggesting it get built adjacent to the current building that would be subsequently demolished?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It would be “Inside the course” . also it’s the fire response times that are critical. Glencrutchery fits well for Onchan, and a straight run through to Braddan or into town. 

I do hope they look at this strategically rather than a bit silo-ey as is often the way.

Getting anybody anywhere TT week whether inside the course or out is a nightmare when the roads are closed,  and having the hospital inside the course was a good idea allegedly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Fair point re. TT course, assuming it survives this current mess. Are there any other police stations that could accommodate everyone if it were to be built on top of the existing HQ, or are you suggesting it get built adjacent to the current building that would be subsequently demolished?

Plan would be to build on vagas field then knock old nick down

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Plan would be to build on vagas field then knock old nick down

Some plan that... Why not top end of Douglas or in fact anywhere there is 52 week access

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WTF said:

Getting anybody anywhere TT week whether inside the course or out is a nightmare when the roads are closed,  and having the hospital inside the course was a good idea allegedly.

I seem to recall that the preferred site for the then new Nobles Hospital, was the triangular section of land bordered by Kewaigue, Fort North roundabout and the bottom of Richmond Hill.  It ticked the box of being outside the TT course, as being inside it was considered unviable at the time.  The site was also deemed ideal for Ronaldsway patient transfers, especially when the TT Course was closed.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

We sort of looked at this around 2006, siting ambulance and RPU at the QB alongside the fire station, when they were going to build one big roundabout. The architect engaged was not very good and couldn’t translate the fag packet sketches into something workable. In the end we put it in the too hard to do box, which was a shame because at the operational level we were beginning to work together much better than ever before. 

Douglas fire station is now compromised due to flooding. The sensible option is to move everything up to Glencrutchery and have a big police fire and ambulance hub on the old Vagas pitch, with parking on the subsequently flattened police station site. Close to ESJCR , arterial routes and all that, as long as clearways are maintained during TT etc. Police HQ is an old building. Custody can be left standing As that will be good for a design life of 60 yrs. 

Douglas Fire Station on Peel Road opened shortly before Police Headquarters did (late 1970's), and it wasn't long before flooding affected the former site.  By the mid- to late- 90's, there was talk of centralising the police and fire service on Glencrutchery Road, and accommodating the personnel by adding a new floor to police headquarters, which apparently, was designed with that option in mind.  Conjecture then dictated that an ambulance HQ could be placed on the same site - Nobles was on Westmorland Road at the time - thereby better serving a growing Onchan etc.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Do our Politicians and Senior Civil Servants not remember we are trying to claw our way out of an economic downturn? It seems not - now Dandy Dan Davies and Razor-sharp Cregeen are looking to build a 'HUB" that will accommodate all three of the emergency services. Is this the right time? Do they really need new premises? Do they really all need to be in the same place? It seems to me that to achieve that they would need a pretty huge site. Huge site = huge capital spend = chunky overspend.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/emergency-services-hub-to-replace-douglas-fire-station/

Austerity measures are probably the last resort for any government. Limiting or cutting back on planned public spending does not help economic recovery. Government spending has to be at least maintained, if not increased, to promote growth.

If this new hub doesn't even have a site yet and is only at feasibility stage, it is years away from actually being built. At a guess, I'd say they won't even have a contractor selected before the end of 2022.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

Austerity measures are probably the last resort for any government. Limiting or cutting back on planned public spending does not help economic recovery. Government spending has to be at least maintained, if not increased, to promote growth.

If this new hub doesn't even have a site yet and is only at feasibility stage, it is years away from actually being built. At a guess, I'd say they won't even have a contractor selected before the end of 2022.

time to employ more consultants then...

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...