Department of Nitwits

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The whole problem with the reduce numbers/have fewer argument is that it wholly forgets that for a parliamentary democracy to work there are certain numbers required to fill official positions, presid

To be fair she's not being appointed for her experience, she's being appointed for her vote.  That's why she's been put in two malfunctioning Departments - so that whatever ridiculous or dangerous or

I worked in the public sector in the UK in the 90s and there was a cost cutting drive in that period. As a manager I was asked to look at cost savings in my area and, like everyone else, I presented t

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair she's not being appointed for her experience, she's being appointed for her vote.  That's why she's been put in two malfunctioning Departments - so that whatever ridiculous or dangerous or corrupt nonsense the DoI or DESC come up with, she will be obliged to support them in Tynwald and the Keys.  She's being paid to become a nodding dog.

I'll bet the voters are happy with that...

14 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I honestly don't know what to make of the whole shambolic mess. Not one MHK appears to have the appetite or nous to reign in the three fuckateers

I think it’s been said before Ministers are not responsible for staff including their executive as they report to Chief Secretary.

hasnt someone asked to see the appraisal on chief secretary to establish if he has met objectives, perhaps all ceos should be published 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Edge, Hooper and Thomas are wondering if this appointment is ok over on twitter.

Just looks like edge asking a pedantic technical question about when an MHK becomes an MHK and Thomas and hooper getting their legislation geek on quoting various passages of the act

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Edge, Hooper and Thomas are wondering if this appointment is ok over on twitter.

To my wholly ignorant view, I can't see what the problem is provided that Christian doesn't become a political member for the departments before she's sworn in.  The analogy I'm thinking of here is between the date of being appointed to a job and its actual start date.

Good, she may surprise all the cynics on this forum and beyond.   A fresh pair of eyes and a voice that can be heard is what we need.   If she has any sense, and Ithink she has, she will be trying to keep in the public eye with next October in her sights.   Give her a chance I do not think she will be over awed or backward in coming forward.   Teachers pet she will not be.   Thomas and Hooper are like two old women pains in the arse the pair of them.

6 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

To my wholly ignorant view, I can't see what the problem is provided that Christian doesn't become a political member for the departments before she's sworn in.  The analogy I'm thinking of here is between the date of being appointed to a job and its actual start date.

Yes, the press release is written in the future tense: "The newly-elected MHK for Douglas South will serve". and Quayle "announced the appointment" rather than appointed her.  Presumably they won't start paying her until she has been sworn in, but there's nothing to prevent her acting as a sort of intern up to that point, but as I said she only really there to make up the numbers, so sitting in pointless meetings is probably all she will ever be allowed to do.

1 hour ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

We need to stack government with business people if we're ever to drain the swamp of self-serving civil servants and career politicians. 

As @Banker points out Manx politicians have absolutely no control over the civil service and we don't have any career politicians left.  Apart from the presiding officers (Rodan and Watterson) there's only Cregeen and (just) Robertshaw who have been there for longer than ten years.  And Christian seems pretty keen to become a career politician herself.

In actual fact 'business people' like Christian (small business owners) are already numerous in Manx politics and always have been.  In the current Keys you already have Perkins, Peake and Corlett among the backbenchers, none of whom seem particularly diligent, and such people dominate the Council of Minister: Quayle, Cannan, Boot, Harmer and Skelly all fit that description.  The swamp still seem rather wet though.

Christian seems brighter than some of the above (not difficult) but small business owners are already over-represented in Tynwald and they seem to be fairly ineffective.  I suspect it's partly because they still tend to see their business as their main interest and regard their political work as a part-time job, like being a non-executive director. But also because they haven't the sort of long-term experience of working in the public sector and/or larger private sector organisations and so don't really get how such organisations work and how to be effective in them.  The civil service of course love it that way.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Banker said:

I do think if we see Shimmins get into Comin we would see him getting stuck into some of these CEOs and looking to reduce headcount in over staffed departments 

Wishful thinking. It would take more than one new COMIN member to chip away significantly at that edifice. Regardless of who they were.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

You are right. I imagine what you suggest is going to happen will happen. Ms Christian MHK might already have been attending meetings. I have personal instance of this in that I shadowed in a department in 2013 after being elected for several months, and then did not accept the offer that was on the table.

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, the press release is written in the future tense: "The newly-elected MHK for Douglas South will serve". and Quayle "announced the appointment" rather than appointed her.  Presumably they won't start paying her until she has been sworn in, but there's nothing to prevent her acting as a sort of intern up to that point, but as I said she only really there to make up the numbers, so sitting in pointless meetings is probably all she will ever be allowed to do.

The press release does state that "the appointments come into effect immediately" too though!!! 

32 minutes ago, Banker said:

I do think if we see Shimmins get into Comin we would see him getting stuck into some of these CEOs and looking to reduce headcount in over staffed departments 

Won't happen, ie. reduced headcount. It should but it won't. 

Page 13 of the Independent; Tim Baker declines to answer Ms Edge's Tynwald question on just how much the DOI spent during lockdown period Mar 15 - June 30 on the grounds that it would cost too much in DOI officer's time to compile answers. A response apparently okayed by Rodan.

So that's ok then.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

Well am willing to give her time to see how she gets on with the boys club first, good luck to her if she speaks her mind and doesn’t just roll along she’ll be a shoe in at the next election.