IOM COURTS SENTENCING

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

That's more than a bit of petty vandalism though. That sort of behaviour can cause the victim and those around him anguish.

Difficult to judge whether this is too harsh without knowing the background or likelihood of re-offending. It's borderline, that why we have a range of sentences and trials to consider the circumstances. Does "vigilante" in the heading rather glorify what is described as a grudge.

But yeah, child abuse penalties are too low.

• Like 2

There is a substantial amount of history in a number of things to do with this case. 12 weeks is probably pretty mild if it was all taken into account, maybe it was a 'this shit stops now' kind of sentence.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's more than a bit of petty vandalism though. That sort of behaviour can cause the victim and those around him anguish.

And sex  with an underage girl doesn't?  Not only does that offence cause anguish, I would suggest the whole investigation and prosecution process does too.

31 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

’He is not a man who regularly offends,’ said Mr Peterson. ’We would submit these offences are a blip and not likely to be repeated.’

Hmmmm given this is the same Angelic Mr Lindon convicted of manslaughter of his former spouse....................

Agree Mr Lindon doesn't offend regularly .. but when he does best stay out of his way. He’s total been a prick all his life. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

’He is not a man who regularly offends,’ said Mr Peterson. ’We would submit these offences are a blip and not likely to be repeated.’

Hmmmm given this is the same Angelic Mr Lindon convicted of manslaughter of his former spouse....................

Not for the first time, the only place where any information about this appears is on on Manx Forums.  There simply isn't much available on the internet about things that happened before about 2015.  It's strange how this site has become the place of record by default.  Records of the nephew's recent court appearances are more readily available, however

The headline is bad though, not just because of the 'vigilante' but because it's not vandalism really,  which is usually understood to be more random or against public property, while this was very clearly targeted.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Criminal damage is punishable by up to 6 months in jail has always been a jailing offence

According to the Criminal Damage Act 1981, it's punishable by up to ten years imprisonment, so has always been a jailing offence like you say.   Criminal damage by fire (arson) or with intent to endanger life is punishable with life imprisonment.  

1 hour ago, Banker said:

When has the act of vandalism been considered a jailing offence particularly for 12 weeks when someone convicted of sex with underage girls gets suspended sentence?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=57911&headline='Vigilante' vandals locked up&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Since when has sentencing been consistent on the Island... Former clerk of Tynwald...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gladys said:

And sex  with an underage girl doesn't?  Not only does that offence cause anguish, I would suggest the whole investigation and prosecution process does too.

I didn’t suggest it didn’t. And it’s not an either/or situation.

58 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The headline is bad though, not just because of the 'vigilante' but because it's not vandalism really,  which is usually understood to be more random or against public property, while this was very clearly targeted.

Reminds me of the oft heard “... mindless vandals targeted ...”

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I didn’t suggest it didn’t. And it’s not an either/or situation.

Bloody good job it wasn’t me that said that. You would accusing me siding with the fella. ;-)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 2